• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The best and worst bits of having a band

cah-ching

Lotsofbeefy has inspired me to start a thread of a similar ilk to her own (which is excellent by the way).

So .... do banders have any best and worst bits? :D

Blimey woman!! I had to give the kids their dinner

OK let's see

Worst bits for me personally

The grim reality that no matter how tight your band is, you can still fit down chocolate, icecream and biccies

The grim reality that merely having a band installed does not immediately prevent you from eating the above crap

The fact that it is not really much different than going on a diet without any assistance at the beginning and anytime you don't have perfect restriction

The fact that even with good restriction you cannot eat slider foods and crap and still expect to lose weight because we do not have malabsorbtion

The fact that it is overwhelmingly pro bypass and very hard to muster motivation on here because of that

The fact that it's slower weight loss unless you really throw yourself into quite a lifestyle change

The fact that you have to do most of the work yourself and the band plays a minor role in comparison to what a bypass or sleeve does to help you

The best bits

When you do take responsibility for yourself and choose the right foods and exercise some common sense you do feel fuller on smaller portions

You can't actually binge properly

It's damage limitation in that the ill effects of eating the wrong thing once in a while are not so bad that you can't pick yourself up and get back on track

If you make an effort to eat healthier you will have more good days than bad and they add up for an overall improvement

A few years down the line, we should still be able to go get an adjustment on the band if we need it whereas it's not as easy for a bypasser to reshrink their pouch...in the States there are quite a lot of ops being done to rebypass people who have not changed their food habits and have stretched their pouches.

No malabsorbtion or dumping...

Blimey woman!! I had to give the kids their dinner

OK let's see

Worst bits for me personally

The grim reality that no matter how tight your band is, you can still fit down chocolate, icecream and biccies

The grim reality that merely having a band installed does not immediately prevent you from eating the above crap

The fact that it is not really much different than going on a diet without any assistance at the beginning and anytime you don't have perfect restriction

The fact that even with good restriction you cannot eat slider foods and crap and still expect to lose weight because we do not have malabsorbtion

The fact that it is overwhelmingly pro bypass and very hard to muster motivation on here because of that

The fact that it's slower weight loss unless you really throw yourself into quite a lifestyle change

The fact that you have to do most of the work yourself and the band plays a minor role in comparison to what a bypass or sleeve does to help you

The best bits

When you do take responsibility for yourself and choose the right foods and exercise some common sense you do feel fuller on smaller portions

You can't actually binge properly

It's damage limitation in that the ill effects of eating the wrong thing once in a while are not so bad that you can't pick yourself up and get back on track

If you make an effort to eat healthier you will have more good days than bad and they add up for an overall improvement

A few years down the line, we should still be able to go get an adjustment on the band if we need it whereas it's not as easy for a bypasser to reshrink their pouch...in the States there are quite a lot of ops being done to rebypass people who have not changed their food habits and have stretched their pouches.

No malabsorbtion or dumping...

I think this is a very good assessment of things.

I also think because this site is unintentionally pro-bypass it's a real shame that there aren't more banders about and it does seem like there is a group of about 5 people who are supporting on another ... which is such a shame. I'm sad to know there aren't mote banders about. I guess the sleeve situation is the same.
I think the sleeve is much closer in nature to the band than it is the bypass ... because it does nothing other than restrict - I have been told of sleevers that have also stretched their pouches and have gone on to bypass or have had a band fitted around the sleeve. The flexibility of the band is what appeals to me. However I do wish I had a bit of malabsorption for about 9 months just to lose the weight. I guess the slower weight loss means we are less likely to develop gallstones.

One of the frustrating things for me is putting so much effort without next to now 'reward' (that reward being weight loss). I work out nearly every day yet I'm not losing weight yet sleevers are losing .... Mixman excluded here because he's male. I can only compare myself to a sleever because as I said above it's just a slice of the 'ol stomach to make it smaller.

Nowt else to say really :eek:

Jacob xx

this will be short cos my laptop keeps packing in, sorry.
Best thing is obviously the weight loss and the fact I can do more with my life.
Coming off some of my meds.
My blood sugar are alot better now.
Being able to pick and choose the clothes I wear and not just have to wear what I can get in my size.

The worst is the vomiting after every mouthful ( can be rectified with a defill though)
Not enjoying food at all.
Not being able to sit and have a family meal with me running off to the loo to vomit.
Missing a nice juicy steak lol.

Ok worst bit for me personally are:-

Loosing weight very very slowly..........(where's the tortoise smilie?)

To be really honest I have not had many other problems, rarely regurtitate and not had any other complications.

The best bits:-

After 2 years I finally feel I have a normal relationship with food, I physically cannot overeat or binge and I know what a re good choices for my body.

Physically fitter - yesterday I did 16 lengths, 30 mins aquacise and walked 1.8 miles and only felt a little tired. Before I would have just about made the walk...I even whilst on holiday climbed 150 steps to the top of a castle, something I would have never done before.

I like the fact I have a ball and chain to keep me on the straight and narrow (mostly :) )

yes. i like the fact that my binging cannot happen in the way it did before. The glacier pace weight loss is damned near wrist-slittingly bad. I understand that.

The best bits........

1. 8st 10lbs weight loss.
2. Being healthier and a all round better quality of life.
3. Reduction of blood pressure medication, i was on 3 pills for this now just 1 pill, ease of arthritic pains in my knees.
4. i can do a few flights of stairs with out thinking im gonna croak with lack of oxygen.
5. New wardrobe (clothes addiction)
6. New found confidence, being able to mix with people instead of feeling the need to hide away.

The worst bits.......

1. Leaning how to use restriction correctly, learning to notice the new feeling of fullness and knowing when to stop, this has to be learned and takes more time for some to learn than others, if it cant be learnt weight loss is practically non exisitant.

2.Relying on band fills and being over tight to lose weight, this leads firstly a miserable existance of constantly vomiting and also put the band at risk of slipping.

3. Bands dont last forever as ive now learnt, my 1st was removed and replaced through "wear & tear", my 2nd was damaged through a plastics op, a band is not a permanant thing and does has a "life expactancy" of around 15 yrs max. Most people will need a replacement at some point.

4. Bands will not stop you eating sweet foods such as cakes and chocolate nor will it stop you eating crisps ect, ppl that like these foods shouldnt really choose banding.

The best bits........

1. 8st 10lbs weight loss.
2. Being healthier and a all round better quality of life.
3. Reduction of blood pressure medication, i was on 3 pills for this now just 1 pill, ease of arthritic pains in my knees.
4. i can do a few flights of stairs with out thinking im gonna croak with lack of oxygen.
5. New wardrobe (clothes addiction)
6. New found confidence, being able to mix with people instead of feeling the need to hide away.

The worst bits.......

1. Leaning how to use restriction correctly, learning to notice the new feeling of fullness and knowing when to stop, this has to be learned and takes more time for some to learn than others, if it cant be learnt weight loss is practically non exisitant.

2.Relying on band fills and being over tight to lose weight, this leads firstly a miserable existance of constantly vomiting and also put the band at risk of slipping.

3. Bands dont last forever as ive now learnt, my 1st was removed and replaced through "wear & tear", my 2nd was damaged through a plastics op, a band is not a permanant thing and does has a "life expactancy" of around 15 yrs max. Most people will need a replacement at some point.

4. Bands will not stop you eating sweet foods such as cakes and chocolate nor will it stop you eating crisps ect, ppl that like these foods shouldnt really choose banding.

As always excellent insight from you Liz.

I am already saving for my gastric sleeve .... I'll have one in 10 yrs time when my band wears out. I MUST BE HONEST and say that if I won a significant sum on the lottery £250,000k I'd buy a house cash and I'd go and get me a gastric sleeve done in the New Year.

How long did you have your first band in?

As always excellent insight from you Liz.

I am already saving for my gastric sleeve .... I'll have one in 10 yrs time when my band wears out.

theres no telling how long each band will last, yours may last much longer than 10 years, i was just unlucky with what happened to me so soon into my journey x
I MUST BE HONEST and say that if I won a significant sum on the lottery £250,000k I'd buy a house cash and I'd go and get me a gastric sleeve done in the New Year.

You sound regretfull of the band,i remember before you had your surgery you were torn in direction of which op to have, banding is good and can work, it did for me x

How long did you have your first band in?

with my 1st band i lost 7st 7llbs, every thing was going perfectly and i was happy with my weight loss and was glad to be maintaing it, then all of a sudden 3 & 1/2 years down the road restriction just disapeared, i knew as i needed a bigger portion of food to feel any satisfaction, they got me under xray and put a fill through my line and i could actually see it had became dissatched from the band end, so they booked me in for surgery and 6 weeks later they removed and replaced everything, just because whats happened to me please dont think it will to you, every one is individual, my journey has just been a little rocky thats all, i hope i havent offended anyone in this post as i was just being truthfull from my personal experiences xx

The worst things:-
No steak, no bacon and strangely no salad (for me anyway at the moment) and no wine with dinner.
Being sick.
The best things:-
Losing weight, feeling so much better, more energy.
Friends and family that are really supportive.
This forum.

:talk017:Best bit is all the lovely new people I have met on here, who are always willing to give support and love.

:bananalove:

I will be able to comment more when I am further along on my journey; but all you banders are a terrific bunch and I am proud to sit on the bench with you!

:grouphugg:

Best wishes & love Kat xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry only saw this post now, I don't get much opportunity to get on to this forum.

My Best Bits are;

Lost 4 stone in 1 year
Feel so much better physically and mentally
Buying clothes I like and not one that just fit.
Total support from my lovely OH and kids.
Finding this wonderful site, I can honestly say even though I don't contribute very often you have all been a huge help, its wonderful to hear others stories, good or bad.

Worst Bits;
Weight loss stalls, I haven't lost anything in about 3 months.
Being very annoyed and hard on myself all the time re weight loss.
Paid privately for surgery and still feel guilty that we had to pay because I could not lose weight any other way.Despite my Oh saying it was money well spent to see me healthier.
Tired of the constant battle to lose more weight, even though I eat very little.
I have a very bad relationship with food in general.

Last edited:
I'm not a bandster, I had a bypass, but on reading a lot of posts from bandsters the thing that strikes me in having this surgery is that because you don't have malabsorbtion, dumping, restriction straight away, you do have a great chance to re-educate your tummy and your mind about healthy eating as you have to do most of the work yourself and sort out your food issues at the same time. This to me is a massive bonus because whatever the op if you don't sort your head out then issues with food will always sabotage keeping the weight off long term. The main difference with me and most of my slim friends is the way they look at food - purely as a fuel - whereas I look at it as a comfort, cheers me up, makes me happy etc, all emotionally linked. I'm at goal, but my future success is dependant on this changing relationship with food. My journey is to retrain my mind into looking to other things for this comfort rather than food. This isn't as easy with a bypass as it doesn't take as much effort to get the weight off and in some cases the weight loss happens quickly. Unfortunately, because I was diabetic I didn't have the option of choosing which surgery to have as my hospital always do a bypass for diabetics. Celebrities are also choosing the band so are giving it good publicity (Fern Britton, Vanessa Feltz etc). The fast lane isn't always the best one to take when you want to change direction :)

heres it for me:

Good points:
Im loosing weight slowly
if i pig out i throw up
am hoping for not too much saggy skin ( fingers crossed)
I can now shop in asda for clothes instead of just Evans

Bad points:
Its a slow process
takes a while to find the right restriction
The fills are done with big needles ( im a wuss)
I have protruded scars x9
i compare my weightloss to bypassers and then sulk

Think thats all xx

Back