• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THE MILK DIET OVER CHRISTMAS!!

grom

Slim for 2009
Just got an email from the dietician and it's the dreaded milk diet - over Christmas!! I was hoping it would just be a low calories/low fat/healthy eating plan. I know why I have to do it and why it is so important but would a bit of turkey and some veg be ok on Christmas day????

I will ask the dietician the same question - just wondered what people thought??

Did anyone not stick to it 100% and still not have any problems??

:Christmas02r::Christmas02r:

oh no poor you! I didn't have to do the milk diet, but have read about it on here and it sounds awfull! :(
You could always ask the dietician if there is an alternative you can do to the milk diet? I just did a 5 day liquid diet before the op, so it is different.
I hope the dietician replies with either an alternative you can do or to say you can have some christmas dinner which might make it easier for you to manage.
Good luck :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Omg poor you!!:eek:I hate milk:(

People have cheated on their diet and been ok, people have cheated on their diet and been refused surgery. People have been refused surgery even after sticking to their diet but that's rare.

The way I see it, if you're not willing to stick to a short period of a controlled diet, how are you going to cope post op? Your head has to be in the right place for this to work, and if you are starting off thinking that it's ok to cheat then is that really the right place?

I understand it's Christmas, but if you think about it there are events all year round which are associated with eating, valentines, easter, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, funerals, parties, etc etc.

So to me, yes you might get away with cheating short term, but at some point you have to learn to handle this kind of event and learn to disassociate the event with food so that you can reach a healthy weight and then maintain long term.

So see what your dietician says, but no-one on here should be saying that it's ok as we're not medically trained.

I don't mean to sound harsh, so please don't take offense, i just believe strongly that you have to work with this and have your head in the right place for it to work.

Of course I won't be guided by people on here - what's the point of paying an arm and a leg for this op and the expert advice that goes with it otherwise - I just wondered what people's HONEST views were about what they did pre surgery and the effects it had. It may have come across as being a little flippant but I can assure you I am not entering into this lightly.

Hi chick I really feel for you I was very lucky that I did not need to do the diet as only had three days notice, two days before the op the nurse that did my pre op said to go out and have a final meal just go easy on the carbs. I know my BMI was not very high at that point just under 37. Can you not ask them advise about having something lower on the one day? You never know but if they say no stick to the diet then I am sure you will manage and you can always celebrate in a few months time with a similar type of christmas meal but obviously much smaller lol...xx

Hi chick I really feel for you I was very lucky that I did not need to do the diet as only had three days notice, two days before the op the nurse that did my pre op said to go out and have a final meal just go easy on the carbs. I know my BMI was not very high at that point just under 37. Can you not ask them advise about having something lower on the one day? You never know but if they say no stick to the diet then I am sure you will manage and you can always celebrate in a few months time with a similar type of christmas meal but obviously much smaller lol...xx

Lol - yes I have emailed the dietician for her advice. When I spoke to the surgeon he talked about a low fat low cal diet which wouldn't be a problem as I could have meat and veg - so it was a bit of a shock when the milk diet appeared! I have already confided in my brother and cancelled his visit for Christmas day (he is a doctor and so is fully supportive and full of useful advice) and if the dietician and surgeon both say no to any deviations then so be it - it will be worth it to be so much healthier by next Christmas!!

:dancing_snowman::dancing_snowman:

How soon are you having to start on yr diet. I found that by day three i had no interest in food and even went to a halloween party but just took a yogurt with me. I found having my milk as hot milky coffee sometimes made with all milk and sometimes half milk half water really enjoyable. I was too scared to deviate incase they got in there and discovered my liver was too big.
My energy levels were through the roof and have remained so. So make a list of all thoes jobs you have been putting off and work through it whilst others are eating.
Hope you get the answere from the dietition that you want. I should of been having my op christmas eve so would of been on strained soup christmas day. Remember though the maine thing is to get plenty of water in with the milk it will keep hunger and headaches at bay.

I had different things told me every day up to the op lol:confused: ,

the coordinator said milk the surgeon(who in my mind knows best )said low call but that was because my bmi is not that high so he foresaw no problems with me. in fact he said just dont gain any weight so not to worry :D (suffice to say no problems :D). but straight after the coordinator got all high and mighty and said i should do milk and yogurt and had no idea why the surgeon said not to(says she who has not one sec of medical training compared to a bariatric surgeon!!).

so as you can see i spent a week being nervous of what was going to happen as i took the surgeons advice as he knew best:)

moral of the story is ...listen to your dietitian if you speek to her about how you feel. you may well get to do the low call option as think of it this way those that hate milk or are intolerant do the low call. so there cant be much of a reason not to for some people

I had different things told me every day up to the op lol:confused: ,

the coordinator said milk the surgeon(who in my mind knows best )said low call but that was because my bmi is not that high so he foresaw no problems with me. in fact he said just dont gain any weight so not to worry :D (suffice to say no problems :D). but straight after the coordinator got all high and mighty and said i should do milk and yogurt and had no idea why the surgeon said not to(says she who has not one sec of medical training compared to a bariatric surgeon!!).

so as you can see i spent a week being nervous of what was going to happen as i took the surgeons advice as he knew best:)

moral of the story is ...listen to your dietitian if you speek to her about how you feel. you may well get to do the low call option as think of it this way those that hate milk or are intolerant do the low call. so there cant be much of a reason not to for some people

There does seem to be a lot of different ideas. Who did you have your surgery with? My bro (the doc) has explained all the science bit about why they would choose a milk only diet and it's all about glycogen storage etc etc I actually really like milk and it would not normally present any problems -it's just that now I have to rethink/cancel some Christmas social engagements rather than try to explain to someone why I would like a pint of milk rather than a turkey dinner!!!

How soon are you having to start on yr diet. I found that by day three i had no interest in food and even went to a halloween party but just took a yogurt with me. I found having my milk as hot milky coffee sometimes made with all milk and sometimes half milk half water really enjoyable. I was too scared to deviate incase they got in there and discovered my liver was too big.
My energy levels were through the roof and have remained so. So make a list of all thoes jobs you have been putting off and work through it whilst others are eating.
Hope you get the answere from the dietition that you want. I should of been having my op christmas eve so would of been on strained soup christmas day. Remember though the maine thing is to get plenty of water in with the milk it will keep hunger and headaches at bay.

That sounds good! And I do actually really like milk! I have to start today as op is on 27th Dec

Thanks for advice xxx

I actually really like milk and it would not normally present any problems -it's just that now I have to rethink/cancel some Christmas social engagements rather than try to explain to someone why I would like a pint of milk rather than a turkey dinner!!!

Its a difficult one grom but that is one of the reasons why i choose to let people know what i was having done. It was our asian carers christmas lunch today and i had a phone call last night to ask me what kind of thing i could eat as they wanted to make sure there was something there for me to enjoy. they did a low fat turky and grapefruit curry with spinich and mixed veg and boiled rice it was yum.
If they hadnt of known i dont think i would of eaten anything and would then of been faced with answering awkward questions as they know i love my curry.
The other side of it is the weight drops off you so quick if people dont know they think something is seriously wrong, One of my neighbours who i say hello to but that is about it stopped me in the street the other day to ask me if i was ok. when i said yes im fine thanks she said " oh thats good i noticed you had suddenly lost weight and thought you were ill or something". I had to laugh and then told her what i had done.
Its a tricky one as to do you tell others or not but everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.
wishing you all the best
carole

Its a difficult one grom but that is one of the reasons why i choose to let people know what i was having done. It was our asian carers christmas lunch today and i had a phone call last night to ask me what kind of thing i could eat as they wanted to make sure there was something there for me to enjoy. they did a low fat turky and grapefruit curry with spinich and mixed veg and boiled rice it was yum.
If they hadnt of known i dont think i would of eaten anything and would then of been faced with answering awkward questions as they know i love my curry.
The other side of it is the weight drops off you so quick if people dont know they think something is seriously wrong, One of my neighbours who i say hello to but that is about it stopped me in the street the other day to ask me if i was ok. when i said yes im fine thanks she said " oh thats good i noticed you had suddenly lost weight and thought you were ill or something". I had to laugh and then told her what i had done.
Its a tricky one as to do you tell others or not but everyone has to do what they are comfortable with.
wishing you all the best
carole

Thanks Carole xx
I may change my mind at a later date but at the mo I don't feel I want to broadcast it - but as you say it's a personal thing and everyone has a different view. And how lovely of your friends to make you such a yummy meal!!

I don't envy you at all. I have no advice sorry, just wanted to empathise.

Thanks lovey! But please don't feel sorry for me - I am so excited about this and know I am very lucky to be able to get it done so quickly! And luckily I love milk. Have just told my poor hubby and he keeps wandering around the house shaking his head and muttering 'milk?? milk??' - think it was a bigger shock for him!!

:eating:

Grom you could be really cruel and tell him that in support of you he has to do the milk diet as well. lol
lol my brother suggested that too! He said that he could be the 'control group' in the experiment!!

The good news is I just managed to open the attachment and print the diet off properly and I can have semi skimmed milk AND can substitute one pint a day for a slimfast shake!

Wow - it's looking like heaven now!! (well almost!!):8855:

I'll raise my double voddy n coke at your slimfast on xmas day:8855::8855:;)

Back