• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tummy Tuck and Lipo Booked - Advice Needed

Cat Lover Sue

Hi Peeps - I have just had a consultation and booked my fleur de lys tummy tuck with a bit of lipo on my flanks (!!) thrown in for good measure. Op will be in Edinburgh at end of June.

Any advice for what is the best nightwear - Pjs or a nightie? I have just ordered a soft cup bra (no under wires) as I am blessed in the boob department and will need to wear something on them - just for comfort and for the sake of my dignity :). Didn't think underwired bras would be helpful and comfy as the surgeon has indicated my vertical scar will come up quite high.

Also he told me that they no longer get folk to wear compression garments afterwards as there's no real need/benefit in doing so, but did say that many of his ladies like to get some spanx or similar. This was news to me and a bit surprising - just wondered if anyone who has had a TT recently found the same thing? I'm going private by the way as although I lost over 7 stone by myself through Weight Watchers and exercise and met the criteria for reduction and BMI - the funding in Scotland is pretty much non-existent for cosmetic procedures. Bummer but to be honest I think it will be worth it.

Hope to get some good advice. Thanks in advance.
Sue x

Samsara

Hi Sue. I can't help with your questions but there are members that have had plastics so hopefully they will be along shortly to answer them :) In the meantime welcome to the forum and when I get to plastics stage hopefully you'll still be around to give us advice! ;) x x

Cat Lover Sue

Hi Samsara - much appreciated. Good luck with your weight loss. I still have to pinch myself that I have lost so much weight - its a good feeling! :)

Sar2567

Can I be really cheeky and ask some questions? I am just starting to look at tummy tucks. What is a fleur de Lyon tt and what are the costs involved?

Samsara

It's where they cut horizontally and vertically to remove more excess skin in both directions. Makes an inverted "T" scar :) I'll let Sue answer the costs - more expensive than a standard procedure I should imagine x x

ToxicSiren

Good luck with your tuck hun! Havent had one myself yet but will hopefully be having one myself soon :D. Ive been told to bring button down shirts, p.j's etc as after tummy tuck it can be hard to lift your arms. Plenty of books/mags for entertainment as first 2 weeks you will have limited movement. x

Crackers169

Hi
Good luck with the op Sue. I am interested in following your journey as I am currently being referrred to plastics - waiting for an appointment to see surgeon. (And I am based near Edinburgh, so if I am not successful on NHS I will be having my op at the Murrayfield!!) how did you decide on Ken Stewart? How long to you expect to be in hospital?

Cheers
Crackers x

Cat Lover Sue

Can I be really cheeky and ask some questions? I am just starting to look at tummy tucks. What is a fleur de Lyon tt and what are the costs involved?

Hi Sar - apologies for not getting back to you quicker. Yes as Samsara says its one where you are tightened up vertically and horizontally and it leaves much much scarring. However I am quite "baggy" above my belly button so this is the only option I have to sort this out. I could have left it and just had the standard tuck but I didn't see the point.

In terms of costs it adds about another hour of surgery time, according to my consultant. Still waiting for my final cost but looking at about £6k all in. :eek:

Cat Lover Sue

Good luck with your tuck hun! Havent had one myself yet but will hopefully be having one myself soon :D. Ive been told to bring button down shirts, p.j's etc as after tummy tuck it can be hard to lift your arms. Plenty of books/mags for entertainment as first 2 weeks you will have limited movement. x

Hi TS - thanks for your reply. Yes I'm thinking baggy tops and pj bottoms is the way to go. Hubby will be on hand to help get me into stuff. Got a new soft cup bra which will do the job well and won't interfere with my scarring like an underwire one would. Hubby already practising putting it on! :rolleyes: On me that is :D

Definately plan on doing very little for the first couple of weeks. Planning on buying one of those sit up type pillows so it will keep me more upright on the sofa.

Cat Lover Sue

Hi
Good luck with the op Sue. I am interested in following your journey as I am currently being referrred to plastics - waiting for an appointment to see surgeon. (And I am based near Edinburgh, so if I am not successful on NHS I will be having my op at the Murrayfield!!) how did you decide on Ken Stewart? How long to you expect to be in hospital?

Cheers
Crackers x

Hi Crackers - yes I will be at the Murrayfield. I had my consultation at the Raigmore in Inverness after being referred by my GP. The Nurse there assessed me and broke the news that I wasn't bad enough to qualify on the NHS, although my weight loss and the way I did it met the criteria. It has to be seriously horrendous I think to get it done on the NHS now. She told me the same surgeons also have their own private practice and gave me the details Beyou - edinburgh. Just google them for the info. She recommend Mark Butterworth or Ken Stewart and it turned out that it was Ken who was coming up to Inverness first to do initial consultations and follow ups. So not really scientific in my selection but it probably would have been him doing the op if I had got it on the NHS!

They do their ops on a Thursday and I will be released all being well on Saturday. Since I live so far North he said most folk from my area tend to stick around for a couple of days so dressings etc can be changed and he can give me another once over before I had back on the Monday. Makes sense to me and would give me more peace of mind to be going back up the road 4 days post-op. Going to be staying in the Holiday Inn Express until I head back.

After that I can get any aftercare through the Nurse I met at the hospital as she is paid by them to do follow-ups. I will then see Ken again 6 weeks later when he comes back up to Inverness.

I really liked him and he had a good sense of humour and also explained everything very well. My husband also felt reassured by him as well.

Hope this helps. As I get more info I will be happy to keep you posted. :)

ToxicSiren

Lol at your hubby wanting to help with bra fittings! Im getting mine on NHS this year as my tummy is pretty horrendous and have medical health reasons too. Pics of my tummy are in my profile. If you have time could you please do a tummy tuck diary? Would love to follow your progress! :D

Cat Lover Sue

Lol at your hubby wanting to help with bra fittings! Im getting mine on NHS this year as my tummy is pretty horrendous and have medical health reasons too. Pics of my tummy are in my profile. If you have time could you please do a tummy tuck diary? Would love to follow your progress! :D

Hi TS - yes if I get the chance will definately do a diary. Its been a real help to me to look at what others have gone through so its only right I should pitch in and do the same. I can't see your pics yet because I don't have permissions (not enough posts) but will check them out when I can.

I have to say I am nervous but the thought of being able to run without my belly bouncing around and being able to get jeans to fit properly is spurring me on. I am not a vain person but I feel this will be the last piece in my weight loss "journey" (oh how very X-Factor :eek::D)!! It pains me when I look in the mirror and see a slim person with a great big horrible mass of puckered skin just hanging.

ToxicSiren

I well and truly feel your pain there. Im at the point where i run up stairs and get a round of applause from my tummy clapping :eek:

Heres a pic i took a few weeks ago......

Cat Lover Sue

Hi TS - thanks for sharing your pic. I would say we are a similar shape although I am "baggier" above the belly button as well. I have more excess skin than yourself and its puckered much more - probably as its looser. I'm impressed and a little jealous you are able to get yours on the NHS. Just goes to show what a lottery this is.

The nurse who assessed me at the hospital had actually lost loads of weight herself (can't remember exactly but over 10 stone). She had to pay for her own arm lift. It was so bad she had to gaffer tape her loose skin up as it was hitting patients in the face if she was having to bend over them in bed! The funding, or lack of, is a total farce!

Dizzy79

Hello! I had a tummy tuck 11 months ago and am having another next week ( a fleur de lis )
Ok best nightwear will be nighties as you have 2 drains with bottles afterwards and they need to hang down to flow,after roughly day 3 they take the drains out and I did then have a compression garment on so felt ok to have worn pyjamas but was a bit of a struggle to bend to get them on,so I stuck with nightys.
I was given a support garment and wish I'd known this as I spent a small fortune on M&S hold you in pants,but one thing a lady did tell me was that the hospital she has her tt done at,they didn't give them either so she highly recommended cycling shorts! But make sure they come up high enough,they need to be quite snug as it helps reduce swelling and wear them for a good few weeks later,I think I wore mine for 8 weeks after and as swelling reduces you might need to buy a smaller pair,as my pressure garment was altered 3 times after.
All the very best to you xx

Cat Lover Sue

Hello! I had a tummy tuck 11 months ago and am having another next week ( a fleur de lis )
Ok best nightwear will be nighties as you have 2 drains with bottles afterwards and they need to hang down to flow,after roughly day 3 they take the drains out and I did then have a compression garment on so felt ok to have worn pyjamas but was a bit of a struggle to bend to get them on,so I stuck with nightys.
I was given a support garment and wish I'd known this as I spent a small fortune on M&S hold you in pants,but one thing a lady did tell me was that the hospital she has her tt done at,they didn't give them either so she highly recommended cycling shorts! But make sure they come up high enough,they need to be quite snug as it helps reduce swelling and wear them for a good few weeks later,I think I wore mine for 8 weeks after and as swelling reduces you might need to buy a smaller pair,as my pressure garment was altered 3 times after.
All the very best to you xx

Thanks for the info Dizzy, really appreciate it. I think I will definately be investing in some kind of cycle short that comes up high. I think it will give me a sense of security after the op - not that I think I'm going to burst open - but just to keep everything held nicely!

Can I ask why you are having a 2nd op? Its a shame they didn't do the fleur de lys to start with to save you having to go through it again??

Dizzy79

Hi,yes you'll feel a lot better with some support after,I was nervous not wearing mine after so long with them.
On the morning of my surgery he did actually draw a line to do the fleur de lis but said if he could he would avoid it due to the scar,I said I don't mind the scar,his words were I do as it's got my name on it,soon as I came round from surgery I knew he had not done it but assumed he knew best and it would be ok,but sadley it wasn't n I still had a lot of skin,so on my 6 month check up he agreed there was still a lot to come off,and my lower tummy,so I hope this time it's a good result,I dnt mind about the scars,so long as I'm comfy then I'm happy xxx

Cat Lover Sue

Hi Dizzy - wow I would have been unimpressed with that! Still at least you're getting it done now. I appreciate what he's saying about the scar but surely that's your decision?

Good luck with it - at least you'll know what to expect! :)

Cat Lover Sue

Quick update. Cost confirmed at £5.5k for the op. To recap its a fleur de lis procedure with lipo to my flanks (what a horrible word :)).

On my preparation I have purchased a couple of button down the front nightshirts on advice from here, a soft cup bra for comfort and some dignity and one of those V shaped pillow things from Argos to help when I'm back at home. Now I just need to work out what the heck I'm going to wear when I leave the hospital and check into the hotel. So far I'm thinking a tunic type top and a pair of lightweight sports type yoga pants which are easy to get on and off and won't dig into my middle section. I do appreciate I'm going to look a complete sight but I would at least like to look one up from a bag lady!! LOL :)