• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Undeserving WLS story in the Mail...

TR_Wolf

(just call me Adam)
I know it's the Daily Mail, but still, this story is what most people seem to think all of us looking for WLS are like! :argh:

Thoughts?

When I read this story on the day the sun wrote it, it made me cross cause I appreciate different weight effect people differently but when I was 31stone (my biggest) I worked for BT and had to sit in one of their office chairs and I was able to fit in it and they also had chairs with no arms so to me saying you can't work due to weight (her weight in this instance) is c*ap IMO

louisaL said:
When I read this story on the day the sun wrote it, it made me cross cause I appreciate different weight effect people differently but when I was 31stone (my biggest) I worked for BT and had to sit in one of their office chairs and I was able to fit in it and they also had chairs with no arms so to me saying you can't work due to weight (her weight in this instance) is c*ap IMO

Well said!!

Agreed. I teach full time secondary and am on my feet all day. I am lucky in that I have relatively few comorbidities for 30 stone ( my heaviest). But I am a much happier person for having a fulfilling job.

I know that there are many psychological reasons for us abusing ourselves by overeating and we should never be negative about choices people we don't know make in their lives but I have to say that I don't like this lady.
I feel that she should have an operation and the £200 a week she spends on takeaways should be taken from her benefits to pay for it.
I feel for her in her predicament but I don't like her.
I think its because she seems to be blatantly flaunting her lack of control as though ruining her life is a game and she isn't taking seriously.

I agree. I feel that she has not really realised how serious her issue actually is. I suspect that if she has the op she will struggle as she has not accepted the realities of her weight.

I have broken many on office chair by blowing the gas so it no longer goes up and down, I have had days where my hips and ankles are so painful I have to come down the stairs on my bum, There were days when I could not get from the car park to my desk without stopping for breath (15m) I have had to stop my clinic to see the private physio (lucky there was one in that day) as I have not been able to stand up to call my patients in, as my back was so painful, or I have been so miserable I just want to stay under the duvet as I can not bare to be awake and see myself...

Yet I have never ever not been able to work due to my weight - I think this is a massive lie to get benefits, as with her clear lack of education and intelligence she would probably not even get a job that paid as much as benefits - apart from death and terminal illness, I do not know of anyone that can not work! From 1 hour a week voluntary to a full time job - to me it's black and white - if you can breath you can normally work!!

No wonder we get a bad reputation and the public think it's just an easy solution!
Grhhhhhh daft woman !!!

Also in Sept I started working from home taking the catalogue calls for Shop Direct unfortunately I decided not to carry on after Christmas as I was unable to fit the hours around the 2 jobs I already do. All the training was from home and I never had to leave the house once for the work. Another thing she could do (and perhaps others who can't leave the house to go to work or those with disabilites which prevent them from going out to work?!)

I disagree strongly with that - there are people who cannot work. There are people who are extremely vulnerable/disabled that are not able to get/hold down a job and they deserve our sympathy and support. Because it is horrid not being able to work.

However, most of these people who are intelligent want to work. My partner is currently trying to get a degree so that he can get a job as he has been making progress with his illnesses. But he is one of the lucky few who can make progress.

She's just a lazy fat cow who should have her benefits and the welfare of her kids reviewed

Knowing what I know now on self control would this surgery benefit her really? It is harder once time goes on, and a lot of work deciding what to eat. Sure the weight will come off, but will it stay off.

I disagree strongly with that - there are people who cannot work. There are people who are extremely vulnerable/disabled that are not able to get/hold down a job and they deserve our sympathy and support. Because it is horrid not being able to work.

However, most of these people who are intelligent want to work. My partner is currently trying to get a degree so that he can get a job as he has been making progress with his illnesses. But he is one of the lucky few who can make progress.

Have you seen the work done by Remploy or the PCT in Sheffield? They are working with some of the most vulnerable young adults with Learning disabilities and Mental Health issues, who are flourishing and "feeling normal" by being given an opportunity to work - I agree there are a very, very few who can't work (and they are a very few), but if you ask most young or old adults with LD or MH issues (if they have capacity to chose) and most would jump at the opportunity to work!
I do also agree that those who are truly unable to work should have our help and support (but I still feel that is not many people) - but I see no good reason why this lady can't work?! Do you?
x

No not this lady but others yes. As for remploy etc yes I do. In fact I lived in Sheffield and my partner tried to access these services. They did not help. So I do understand what is available and stand by my statement that there are people unable to work.

I was much more entertained by the clip about the 'Ridiculously Photogenic Guy' than this whining drain on DSS resources.

FuturePerfect said:
I was much more entertained by the clip about the 'Ridiculously Photogenic Guy' than this whining drain on DSS resources.

Lol!!!

Due to people's statements and my fragile mood today I haven't brought myself to read it. I may burst an incision lol

No not this lady but others yes. As for remploy etc yes I do. In fact I lived in Sheffield and my partner tried to access these services. They did not help. So I do understand what is available and stand by my statement that there are people unable to work.

I've seen people with terrible disabilities overcome them in order to live their lives as "normally" as they can. To these people their self respect and depth of character is so important that they cope with unimaginable difficulties in order to contribute to society, they have my utmost respect.

There are those who genuinely would struggle to work but I would bet there are very few that this applies to. For every person with a disability that genuinely prevents them contributing there are so very many more who just lack the character or will to work.

I think it's terrible how people like this give us a bad name, and now people think obese people just sit around eating £200 worth of take aways, as this article has been posted in many different papers and magazines. Does she not realise what she is saying and definitely needs help with her mind before bypass. As for sick well I got an injury at work when I was 16 and have struggled to work for 10 years, I was in so much pain and my body is distorted due to trying to put up with pain while working, wish I had of gone on the sick sooner as now my problems are much worse. But it's peoples perceptions that make people struggle to keep working as I have back problems (confirmed by MRI) which took years to get due to doctors not believing me and thinking I was faking it. Also when you tell people your on the sick due to back problems they also think your just trying to rip of the government. Yes they are many people who do abuse the system but many others who don't and are made to work when they can not. I cant get any form of disability because they say even though I have limitations walking I can walk. I have went from having a good wage to now living of nothing and because of the way the system works will not be able to get any extra help due to tick boxes. It's a shame that they cant make the system a bit fairer x

Karlos said:
I've seen people with terrible disabilities overcome them in order to live their lives as "normally" as they can. To these people their self respect and depth of character is so important that they cope with unimaginable difficulties in order to contribute to society, they have my utmost respect.

There are those who genuinely would struggle to work but I would bet there are very few that this applies to. For every person with a disability that genuinely prevents them contributing there are so very many more who just lack the character or will to work.

Totally agree Karlos in 95% of cases their is a job out there to suit. If a blind person and people with no limbs manage I can't see why she can't get of her arse and work.

I am a little saddened by the amount of judgement on here about disabled people. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, how can you judge whether an individual can manage a job? How dare you judge?

I hardly think you can compare this woman's attitude with people who suffer daily and cannot predict how they will be from one morning to the next.

Yvessa said:
I am a little saddened by the amount of judgement on here about disabled people. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes, how can you judge whether an individual can manage a job? How dare you judge?

I hardly think you can compare this woman's attitude with people who suffer daily and cannot predict how they will be from one morning to the next.

Totally true, I am also saddened and hope people don't see me in that way just because I don't work because of ailments. Sometimes I have crawled down the stairs and have days where I can not use my car because I can't even sit due to pain and days I can't even get out of bed. Let's not forget the high pain killers we are on make us feel dizzy and sick. I wouldn't wish this pain on my worst enemy. X

Back