• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss ward guy

beckers

Im sorry, but am i the only person that thinks the 'poor guy' featured is making a total mockery of everything that wls is about? Sitting there secretly buying chocolate and saying 'oh its not my fault the bed costs £100 a day, it's not my fault, it's not costing me anything.
Well IM a chuffing tax payer like alot of other people on here, and i find the idea that im paying for someone like him to sit and take the p*** is absoloutley disgusting! There is no way on this earth that i will do anything to jeapordize my surgery when i have it next year. I find the fact that this guy can sit and say and do what he has been disgusting..
I know i will probably get shouted down, but thats my opinion.

Last edited:
I dont think you're alone x

It was shocking that people like him get the help because apart from his weight he lives in the right area to get help. My BMI was 49.5 when i went for surgery but i had to go private as i dont live in the right area to get help as here in portsmouth unless you have cormorbidities then your BMI has to be 60. I would've loved to have gotten help and they were paying £250 a day for him to stay in hospital and he was sneaking food. What a waste of NHS resources IMO.

I cannot understand how anyone who has been given this life changing and saving opportunity wouldn't make the most of it. He was refusing to do his exercises and eating from the trolley. I think the Dr was very restrained in his dealings with him when he was obviously lying so blatantly about his eating. Yes he's a big guy but he needs to try harder and make the most of this opportunity and not waste it.

I thought the lady who had the sleeve done was inspirational and she was a great advocate for wls.

I thought that it was a great idea to let staff on the ward wear the fat suit so that they could experience the type of problems we face on a daily basis. They will have a far better understanding after that experience.

I think the programme has potential and will be watching the next episode

No your not alone!!! I was really angry when listening to him. his attitude stunk.. He needs to realise how fortunate he is to be able to have the surgery.... Not sit there scoffing chocolate bars saying.... It's not my fault !!

I am from the North East and that is where I had my operation, the staff there are excellent everyone of them, it is goo that Kim got to wear the fat suit, but thta came across as she was mocking a bit but in real life she is lovely. I think Mr Small came across really well but could have been shown stronger with the young lad, but I did like what he said bout it being most peoples last attempt to lose weight and that is how I FELT AND STILL DO. The lady Erica did little to help herself, the young girl with the balloon wasn't very good either I suppose itnwas getting accross that you can have it but you have to use it eficiently to lose the weight, liked what Mr Small said bout we can operate but they have to lose the weight we don't do it for them. Unfortunately am sure miost people will only remember the young lad and Erica, and forget about Debora who is amazing, some of the people viewed last night are on our local fb website. I y makes me very cross when they show all the unhealthy stuff that they ate, not everyone who is big eats like that, I have always eaten healthy and exercised, thats why I got to the point of the bypass as I had tried everything else. It did explain thankfully that it is a lengthy process at Sunderland but not so at all hospitals. Day break talking bout overweight and obese kids to day. x

Typical and easy TV media option - show the northeners that they're thick, lazy, fat and useless. Genuine wls hopefuls who have yo-yo'd with their weight etc and find the surgical option their last and only hope don't seem to get highlighted.
Sure patients abuse the system, it happens everywhere I'd wager. But to get first referred and then onto that hospital ward takes a lot of positive commitment and dedication form the patient. That fact that Terry was 47 stone made him jump the queue as it were, so his whole education on the matter at hand wasn't pre-told. So he learned as he was in the ward and under the cameras. In my eyes he was bound to make a mistake.

That fact that Terry was 47 stone made him jump the queue as it were, so his whole education on the matter at hand wasn't pre-told. So he learned as he was in the ward and under the cameras. In my eyes he was bound to make a mistake.

Sorry mate I'm not having that. I started watching this but this tit got me so chuffin wound up I had to turn it over. This guy was a waste of space and should have been kicked out on his arse. He has/had a chance to save his life, and make a life he could be proud of and he blew it in my eyes. His family should have been banned or searched before being allowed into to see the pillock to prevent them from wasting all our money by giving this guy food.

I am a huge advocate of WLS for those who are prepared to do their bit to make it a success, those who refuse to play their part should be refused surgery and left to their own demise.

Maybe at some point this idiot will realise that if he wants a real life that will last more than the ten years or so he probably has left, then he has to employ a modicum of self control, just like the majority of us have, until then I don't want to see him held up as an example of where the NHS are spending millions trying to help lazy fat wasters, because that's exactly what this guy is

I've just finished watching the program. Yes his attitude at the beginning was crap and he was not at all appreciative of the chance he'd been given and the special treatment the hospital was providing for him too. I'm sure everyone waiting for months/years for surgery would have been really mad watching that!

However he did 'get it' in the end after the surgeon had a serious talk with him. They put the balloon in and he has lost 3st in 2 months, and is being much more active etc. I hope he doesn't slip back into old habits and keeps going and ends up being successful.

This is one of those cases where there is a very good chance the surgery will fail, it's not the quick fix the media often reports it is, the patient has to be prepared to work with there surgery, if the don't want to or are mentally unable to, it will fail and its as simple as that. Some people just should be refused surgery because it clearly will not work on them, especially if the NHS are good enough to fund it for them.

Paul

Sorry mate I'm not having that. I started watching this but this tit got me so chuffin wound up I had to turn it over.
Noted. and had you watched the whole show you'd have seen the eventual positive outcome. Sure he was a prat, but he learned under the gaze of the camera's - which IMHO makes for negative feedback on the whole NHS wls scenario. This show should have shown the more positive attitude of patients and the rewards that come with it. Not dwell on binge eating cream cakes, sweets etc.

Again I disagree. There are both positive and negative stories to weight loss surgery. I think it's very important to show both. Not everybody succeeds and it would be quite bias to show just the success stories. If it embarrassed him into changing his attitude and becoming one of the success stories, that's a good thing surely? We all got fat by eating the wrong things or massive quantities of food, so I don't see anything wrong with showing someone binge eating.

Paula, I'm in agreement with what you are saying, but I think more emphasis was put on the negative side of things, than say an hour of 50/50 pros and cons.

I was very upset by the comment by the young man that 'so it's £250 a day-thats not my problem. I'm not paying'. He played right into the anti- crews hands thee. But he did go on to improve and lets hope he continues to 'get it' and suceds. It was really good to hear it said , and to see , the reality that this is not an easy fix and is only a tool and that ultimately success depends on hard work and working with our gifted tool. so many folks think the weight drops off by magic. It's a shame for those on there that didn't make it work for them though .

Very intersting & alo views here. Having had succesful WLS & meet most on here. We all seem pretty sensible & understand what we are doibg. Yes we have different problems & issues but on the whole reasonably getting there.
I feel we do seem to get such negative reporting on this issue by & large. I support balance but in order to re-balance the reporting I would like to a more positive programme showing wht excellent results are achieved, success, the types if journeys NHS & Private, the money saved in the long term, change of lives etc on main stream TV channels. Rather than the so called 'using tax payers money/abuse of system' type. Understand these seem to make for more headline grabbing reporting but such a shame.

[FONT=&quot]I felt that the program could have been a lot better. It seemed to feed the typical view many have of the obese: celebrating any weightless with food, lying about food intake and not understanding the damage they causing themselves; basically being dumb and lazy. If this show is most people’s first look at WLS then no wonder people get all fixated on worthiness for NHS treatment.
Can you imagine the backlash if shows like "Skinny Club" or the UK or USA's version of the biggest gainer was broadcast in such a manner? Depicting people with anorexia being encouraged then mocked in order for them to gain weight? Choosing the right patients and music to portray a half serious half parody of the condition? Then hero worshipping those who gained the most and ridiculing those that couldn’t or wouldn't respond to the regime. Those anorexics would be branded a waste of tax payers money too and classed as weak willed or plain lazy!
Unlike many here I felt for that lad on the ward and thought that the consultant was very compassionate to offer him a chance to change. It reminded me of the saying, "you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink". At least the consultant tried to make him thirsty.

[/FONT]

I didn't feel comforatble with Erica or the young lad once he started complaining bout how much things cost that just fuels more people to be anti- wls, people will and do stereo type only to easily. Not everyone has eating habits like them, not everyone is fat n lazy and scoffing all the time, I have never shirked a days work and always exercised, didnt eat haldf n quarter of what s**** Erica ate yet still got to 24 stone plus. It was my last chance to lose the weight nothing else had worked why oh why do people fall in this trap, of giving people the wrong impression and that all fat people are the same. We aren't all the same the only thing we basically have in common is that we are overweight, our bodies are all unique, here were some positives but people always remember the bad when money has been involved. x

This was a real "parson's nose" programme; good in parts.

I liked: The attitude of the staff; first time on any weight loss surgery programme I have watched, that I've seen them emphasise the fact that it isn't a quick fix easy option but the patient has to put in the hard graft too.

I liked Debra's story. Inspirational.

I didn't like: Terry (the 47 st guy)'s attitude, what has been said about "it's not my problem if the room costs £250 a day, the NHS pays for it".. and his cheating. In general I think with the exception of Debra, the patients seemed to have been hand picked for their freak value not their inspirational value. And it just serves to reinforce the stereotypical lazy gluttonous person stuffing their faces despite being offered help, that is so so different from most of us.

Back