• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss ward guy

Sorry mate I'm not having that. I started watching this but this tit got me so chuffin wound up I had to turn it over. This guy was a waste of space and should have been kicked out on his arse. He has/had a chance to save his life, and make a life he could be proud of and he blew it in my eyes. His family should have been banned or searched before being allowed into to see the pillock to prevent them from wasting all our money by giving this guy food.

I am a huge advocate of WLS for those who are prepared to do their bit to make it a success, those who refuse to play their part should be refused surgery and left to their own demise.

Maybe at some point this idiot will realise that if he wants a real life that will last more than the ten years or so he probably has left, then he has to employ a modicum of self control, just like the majority of us have, until then I don't want to see him held up as an example of where the NHS are spending millions trying to help lazy fat wasters, because that's exactly what this guy is

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Paul

[FONT=&quot]Can you imagine the backlash if shows like "Skinny Club" or the UK or USA's version of the biggest gainer was broadcast in such a manner? Depicting people with anorexia being encouraged then mocked in order for them to gain weight? Choosing the right patients and music to portray a half serious half parody of the condition? Then hero worshipping those who gained the most and ridiculing those that couldn’t or wouldn't respond to the regime. Those anorexics would be branded a waste of tax payers money too and classed as weak willed or plain lazy![/FONT]

Hmmmmmm ..... really interesting post.

If there was a show like that "Biggest Gainer" for the anorexically underweight ..... and those "failing" (not putting on) were *mocked* and humiliated ..... what do you think the consequences would be?

-- the failures would be psychologically scarred for life

-- most likely set in stone a vicious circle of "failing" -- half hearted attempts to "put on" a few pounds, whilst deep down thinking "but I will always fail, I was born to be a skinny bag of bones" etc etc

Hmmmm ..... but it's OK to do that to fat people?

That's because Fat People are the only group that are left too mock, every other group now has protection in law. Every other branch of people with either Disabilities or some form of mental illness are protected.

Overeating disabled people are all that's left to be ridiculed in the name of light entertainment.

Paul

That's because Fat People are the only group that are left too mock, every other group now has protection in law. Every other branch of people with either Disabilities or some form of mental illness are protected.

Overeating disabled people are all that's left to be ridiculed in the name of light entertainment.

Paul

Excellent post..Couldn't agree more.

I love a good debate but do you not all Think the problem could have been stopped by the 'trolley lady' being made aware of the problem and told not to serve him? I know a lot are volunteers but they are in a hospital and therefore have a duty of care the same as any other staff member. A lot of people (not all) have a problem with food addiction. They basically put him in an environment that 'enabled' him to feed that addiction. You wouldn't do it to a drug addict or alcoholic. Whilst I agree the young lad had a terrible attitude I am sure we can all say that at some point we have cheated, secret eaten or done something to jeapodise weight loss. It's not a reflection on how much we want it but a whole life time of bad habits that will need to change. It does not happen over night. We should not judge him too harshly. He did it in the end and these shows edited for maximum reaction. Lets hope the next episode focuses more on the WLS journey, pro's and con's and is less of a platform to make an example of people who need help.

I love a good debate but do you not all Think the problem could have been stopped by the 'trolley lady' being made aware of the problem and told not to serve him?

Yes I agree, as well as why have the sweets on the trolly at all? I'm sure many would have liked to have cigarets and booze on the trolly too, but the hospital was able to draw a line somewhere. I suppose this is why food addiction is one of the worsts, as it is all around us, all the time, advertised all the time, and unlike say alcohol, we still do need it so we can't rid our home of the stuff.

And to expand your point about the ward. Why were they spending £250 a day? Early in the 'show' they were showing round (off too?) staff from other hospitals their equipment. At that point the subject turned to Terry Gardener and his need of a stronger bed. But why? The 'standard' beds on the ward, and I quote the member of staff here 'can safely operate at 50 stone, but we have one in the equipment cleaning that can take 70 stone'.

Terry was just over 47 stone. So he needed a bed that took more than 50 stone for what reason? Even if they were unsure of his weight before they got him in, and wanted to be sure until they assessed him then why didn't they send the bed back once they were able to confirm his weight? So the ward was happy to spend £150 a day on a bed that they didn't need. Surely not.

Also, what they did with Terry (bring him in to asses on an indefinite stay) was well explained to being a very unusual circumstance, and was all about being able to fully asses him and help him challenge his eating. I think this worked, yes it could have been done quicker if Terry wasn't cheating himself and others, but then again if he hasn't been cheating himself for the last 10 years he wouldn't have been 47 stone. So, I would think the ward was fairly clued up on the risks involved.

His daily stay cost £100 a day and the hire of his bed was £150 a day. That's where they got that figure from. He was there for 4 weeks, so the cost was quite substantial.

He needed that bed because his weight exceeded the safe working load of a normal hospital bed, which is around 30 stone.

I was fuming when I saw that guy saying how was the cost to the NHS his problem! Grrrrrrr. Did they say whether he had ever worked/been a tax payer?

I agree with those who question the wisdom of allowing WLS patients access to a trolley laden with sweet and savoury junk. If this was a ward for recovering alcoholics, the daily visit of a drinks trolley would almost certainly result in mass fallings-off-the-teetotal-wagon. So why expect a lad with serious food addiction problems to resist serious daily temptation?

Sorry but the guy was a complete arse I was ready for chucking something at the TV it makes a mockery of GENUINE people who will and do make an effort..!!! Sorry if I've offended anyone :-/

Back