• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What happens if ill & going private

I have my op with THG on Thursday 5th May and on Friday developed conjunctivitis including all the symptoms, sore throat, temperature etc. I have googled and it takes between one week and two to clear up. Will they go ahead or reschedule? Would you have to pay more?????

They are usually only concerned with your chest,an cold shouldnt stop surgery,give them a ring!

Big an Bouncy said:
They are usually only concerned with your chest,an cold shouldnt stop surgery,give them a ring!

I am frightened too in case they tell me it's off and I could be alright by next week!

Bitten the bullet and given them a call. They are going to get my patient coordinator to contact me. If it's ok I will just ride it out but if it has to clear up I will nip down the chemist and get as many pills and potions as I can!

Boo hiss. Spoken to a nurse on the ward and the conjunctivitis has to be cleared up before they operate. Has anyone had it and know how long it takes to go???? Also I am not allowed to take antibiotics. My mum got me some eye drops from the chemist and it says they are antibiotic - shall I leave them alone???? I will be gutted if my op is cancelled :cry:

i was on antibiotics a week before and when i rang to say im on atibiotics they really wernt fussed!!

Hi Chopster - I would`nt think eye drops would harm you unduly, if they do have antibiotics in - its likely to be such a small amount to not affect you anyway!

Probably after administering them for a few days it would clear up. Whenever I have had conjunctivitis, it has always cleared up within 5 - 7 days....it has never lasted me longer than that.

Have you taken anything for your temperature and sore throat, like any over - the - counter medicines? Quicker you tackle your symptoms the better really.

I think they should be obliged to operate without charging you anymore, if for any reason the surgery has to be cancelled. Have you checked all the small print with THG?

Hope you soon feel better - and recover in enough time for your op to go ahead.

Take care babe x

Love Kat x

You're up late Kat!

I think I will give THG another ring when they open. I don't think me worrying is helping! At least it is helping with the pre op diet as I don't feel like eating anyway

UPDATE!!!

The sister from the ward at the hospital (I think her name is Karen) gave me a ring as she heard I was worried and checked with the anethetist (sp?) about it all. I told her the eye drops I was prescribed and she said even though they are antibiotic drops that is fine. The reason I can't have the op with a gammy eye is because it is highly contagious and they don't want me spreading it to everyone else in the hospital. She did say that with the drops I am on it should clear in a couple of days so fingers crossed. She also said that she will give me a ring tuesday and I have to tell her the truth how it is - if the op is rescheduled it would only be about a week.

She was sooooo nice and really put my mind at rest.

Back