• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

what happens when we get old ?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i think to myself what happens to us wls patients when we get old, get to pensioner age, maybe get a little confused ? how do our kids cope with the factor of wls and what life brings when we become unable to make decisions for ourselves anymore, the caring kids we have created will inform care staff of this, the uncaring will not, its a 1 to think about 4 our future !

my question is have you chosen to tell your kids about your wls on this factor as this was part why ive been up front with my son.

NOTE BE NICE TO YA KIDS AS THEY CHOOSE YA OLD PPLS HOME BANDED, BYPASSED WHAT EVER. ;)

thats part why i chose to tell all, and be free about telling ppl, coz if i loose my buttons then the right choices for me can be made if i get a little lets say confused and decisions are taken out of my hands xxx

Liz, you are feeling deep....:)

I have already told people, if I loose the ability to think for myself weather it be old or young (as none of us know what is around the corner) or the ability to feed myself, then I would like the band removed.

If I got to that state, it would not matter any more.

Grim thoughts but you have to look at the reality of life sometimes.

Also I guess this information would be in medical notes.

Very deep thinking liz and funnily enough i was out for a meal only last night and there were 2 old ladies with care staff who were feeding them.
My sister said blimey they have healthy appetites for their age as they tucked into a full cavery they must both of been in their 90's but appeared to have all their faculties just to riddled with athritus to hold a fork.
Luckly they were able to make choices but i said to my sister remember if you ever have to feed me 2 spoons 1 plate and for every 1 spoon for me 3 for you then you wont over feed me.
Like you i have been very open with everyone about my surgery and fortunatly for me my stomach gives a very audiable signal when its had enough i get hiccups as if its getting rid of any air there may be.
people who know me will say "eh up shes had enough already". lol

hopeless case - you look amazing!!! youve done so well!!! looking at you makes me want to do it all the more! im only 23 and am due to be bypassed pretty soon, i havent really thought about what happens when im older but reading this post maybe i should ... keep up the good work girls xx

Dont worry about when we get old, i'm already old lol :D

Made a decision a long time ago, when i start stinking of pi*s and dont know what day it is i'm finding myself the tallest building and taking a dive from the top, they ain't wheeling me through the Perly gates on a trolley with a plastic tube up my nose, i'm going out at mac five with my arse on fire. :superwoman: :8855:

sorry about the deep thread, i suppose i just spend far to much time thinking about daft things x

This is a deep subject - I'm not a WLS patient but - I am a nurse & imo thinking about the future is never a bad thing - the link here will explain a little about advanced directives - they are not 'legally' recognised in this country - altho they do help in the case of nursing homes etc, lets them know the way you desire your care to happen - your like/dislikes your needs & wants too....

Advance Directives and Do Not Resuscitate Orders -- familydoctor.org

this site explains a little more :)

HTH

debs xx

I'll be filling out an Advance Directive soon. I know my mum has done hers already.

I've always said I'll look after my mum as long as she is not a danger to herself or others.

I know my daughter is completly different and wouldn't be able to cope with the caring side, if and when I needed it. Cause I know what she's like I'm not expecting it. Though I wouldn't want to go in a home if I had all my faculties.

I have worked in a residental homes for the elderly. One of the saddest things to see is when family stop visiting.

The way I see it.......would we reach old age if we stayed obese? Anyway - the older you get the fewer calories you need. If you need to go into a care home surely your medical records would be available - wouldn't they be informed of your need for vitamins along with any other drug you are taking at the time? After seeing my aged father-in-law in a care home my biggest worry is dehydration. They often plonk a cup of tea down then whisk it away when it is cold. My father-in-law ended up in hospital, on several occasions, with collapse and confusion only to make a remarkable recovery when I took little juice boxes in for him. Thank goodness my son used to be an intensive care nurse and my daughter-in-law-to-be is one. They know the dangers. Make sure your sons and daughters are well aware of your needs so that they can monitor them when you are unable to. Marion xx

The way I see it.......would we reach old age if we stayed obese? Anyway - the older you get the fewer calories you need. If you need to go into a care home surely your medical records would be available - wouldn't they be informed of your need for vitamins along with any other drug you are taking at the time? After seeing my aged father-in-law in a care home my biggest worry is dehydration. They often plonk a cup of tea down then whisk it away when it is cold. My father-in-law ended up in hospital, on several occasions, with collapse and confusion only to make a remarkable recovery when I took little juice boxes in for him. Thank goodness my son used to be an intensive care nurse and my daughter-in-law-to-be is one. They know the dangers. Make sure your sons and daughters are well aware of your needs so that they can monitor them when you are unable to. Marion xx

PS sorry pinky - I know they are not all like that!

PS sorry pinky - I know they are not all like that!

Yes thankfully they are not all like that. Though sadly we hear more and more of cases like yours.

Apart from my mum there has only been one other person I have looked up to and admired. It was the head of the 1st residental home I did my work experience in and then went on to work there as a temp. I could not fault the way she ran the home. She was would constantly do spot checks in all areas and her door was always open, to resident, their family and staff. She went on to help me get my 1st permanent job.

Funny what sort of things you think about I was thinking what will happen if I ever need to be PEG fed ?

Made a decision a long time ago, when i start stinking of pi*s and dont know what day it is i'm finding myself the tallest building and taking a dive from the top, they ain't wheeling me through the Perly gates on a trolley with a plastic tube up my nose, i'm going out at mac five with my arse on fire. :superwoman: :8855:

:eek: :D ooooerrr! :eek:

Yes, I was thinking of the same sort of thing.
However, while I am still relatively youngish ( well, 40 - who was it who said that 40 is halfway between being born and being dead?) I do have it written into my Care Plan (for severe Bipolar) that the band is to be deflated if I am hospitalised again and am severely out of control. This should help any potential damage to the band and when I'm on the straight and narrow again I can have it refilled. Hopefully this will not be necessary as having a super acute phase of Bipolar is absolute hell on earth and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Except Tony Blair and George W. ...and my first husband....maybe Anthea Turner....

im old ive just turned 60 (its amazing one day your 30 the next welllllllllll)but apart from the authuriyus (?) in my head im 21 and i hope wen ive had my bypass ill look it ......... well i can dream cant i. ive decided ill wear minnis croped tops and have my bellybutton pierced.

im old ive just turned 60 (its amazing one day your 30 the next welllllllllll)but apart from the authuriyus (?) in my head im 21 and i hope wen ive had my bypass ill look it ......... well i can dream cant i. ive decided ill wear minnis croped tops and have my bellybutton pierced.

Good for you, maybe you can dye your hair purple or somesuch colour. I cannot see the benefit in growing old "gracefully". Why? Disgracefully is much better.;)

Yes, I was thinking of the same sort of thing.
However, while I am still relatively youngish ( well, 40 - who was it who said that 40 is halfway between being born and being dead?) I do have it written into my Care Plan (for severe Bipolar) that the band is to be deflated if I am hospitalised again and am severely out of control. This should help any potential damage to the band and when I'm on the straight and narrow again I can have it refilled. Hopefully this will not be necessary as having a super acute phase of Bipolar is absolute hell on earth and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Except Tony Blair and George W. ...and my first husband....maybe Anthea Turner....

What Anthea Turner, the domestic godess ! ;)

Back