• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What pain medication did you have just after having bypass?

EmmaLouise81

Hi, I had my bypass last Wednesday and in hospital they were giving me 3 different pain meds....two tablets and one drip. Now home I am on 500g paracetamol which I can take up to 8 times.

All is good with my eating and drinking, keeping everything down etc but my body hurts like hell. Could not even get out of my bed last night for ages as I had a searing pain in left side. Obviously my body needs time to heal but the paracetamol is doing nothing to help....just wondered is that all everyone gets to take?

I only took paracetamol on the day of my op, have had nothing since.
My GP gave me some soluble Paracetamol and Codeine in case I need them.

I had morphine and a paracetomal drip in the hospital. Was allergic to the morphine so they replaced that with codeine.

They discharged me with paracetomal which simply didn't hit the spot so I got some paracetomal with codeine from the local chemist and that was a lot lot better.

Having lots of pillows on each side of me when I was in bed helped a lot in the early days btw.

I got told I wasn't allowed anything in tablet form had to be liquid/disolve, which is good for me as I can't take tablets, let's hope they don't change their mind after me op.

I would try something stronger if your still in pain.

Hope ur feeling better asap

Haylz xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I was uncomfortable when lying down, but was ok if moving around.
To be honest, it's not that I had no pain, for me I didn't want to numb any pain I did get in case it was a 'warning sign' to slow down.
xXx

I only used my morphine once in hospital and nothing since

Back