• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When to introduce crunchy salads???

SOPHIE2

Hi all

i was banded 30th march and so far have had no problems to speak of in regards to pain, wind, or my band accepting new foods. My first fill is 26 may and i see dietician 20th June. I'm just onto the normal eating stage and confused as to when to introduce 'crunch' such as coleslaw etc. I'm fine with chicken, fish, pasta, bread but really would like something with crunch. please can anyone help me out on this one, also are there any fruits - other than citrus - that i need to peel ?
my weight is going down steadily i'm down 17 lds since banding and as usual would like it to be quicker - but i know then i have a fill i'll eventually get good restriction - how are other bandits doing at this stage. Any help or support is very welcome. Hope everyone is fine x :confused:

I think if you are fine with what you've listed then it's probably fine to try some stuff out like coleslaw now.
As we're all different , I think just try things but take small careful bites and chew thoroughly.
If you are fine with what you've listed I wouldn't expect you to have a particular problem with crunchy stuff as people tend to have more trouble with bread/pasta, egg and some meats if they are tightly restricted but I am guessing you have nothing/very little in your band so far so I am sure you can eat most things without worrying just yet.
I sometimes have trouble with apple skin but then I eat much more veg than I do fruit because I am trying to limit sugars.

Your mouth is now your stomach so has to maserate the food before you swallow,well chewed food of any description will go down,its weather it sticks in your stoma(outlet)Small portions and chew well!

Hi Sophie,

I was banded about 6 days after you and im now allowed onto normal foods. Ive not tried pasta or bread as yet and i too want to try crunchy salads. Ive also not had any pain or stuck problems.
Ive got some coming with my shopping tomorrow and plan on trying this week..if it gets stuck - it gets stuck!

Ive tried krisprolls, ryvita, quavers etc... and they have gone down fine as ive chewed them really well before swollowing and they turn to mush in the mouth.

Lets be brave and have a go this week?

hi tamgredan,
good to hear your banding was done about the same time as mine and that you seem to be having a similar experience in terms of how your band has settled and being ready for crunchy stuff. I agree lets both give it a go this week with different foods and maybe compare at the end of the week??

Congrats on your weight loss its brilliant ! Have you had any saline in your band yet? I've none in my 14ml band and am due a fill on May 26th - i'm pleased about that as the one thing bothering me at the moment is my appetite is begining to increase so i'm working on willpower alone. How's your portion control doing?
Hope to hear from you soon, take care :)

hi tamgredan,
good to hear your banding was done about the same time as mine and that you seem to be having a similar experience in terms of how your band has settled and being ready for crunchy stuff. I agree lets both give it a go this week with different foods and maybe compare at the end of the week??

Congrats on your weight loss its brilliant ! Have you had any saline in your band yet? I've none in my 14ml band and am due a fill on May 26th - i'm pleased about that as the one thing bothering me at the moment is my appetite is begining to increase so i'm working on willpower alone. How's your portion control doing?
Hope to hear from you soon, take care :)

Ive got a 9ml band and not got anything inside it as yet. Im hoping for my 1st fill in 3 weeks.
Appetite is growing but im maintaining about 1000 calories per day.
Portion control in comparison to pre band is amazing. I can manage for a meal on average 1 of the below:-
half a ready meal,
full insides of a medium jacket spud,
1 beef burger
.....as a guide to portions im having.

Im going to try a prawn salad pre-made from ASDA for my tea later!

Back