• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Secret Society

Wobbletogo

Likes to read
I'm not planning on telling many people about having WLS surgery as I think many people in my circle are pretty judgemental.

I was wondering though what people could offer as advice in how to explain the rapid weight loss?

I told no one except my hubby, 3 grown up children & their partners (plus several thousand people on here, lol) & have not regretted it. I was always on a diet so people were used to me going up & down. No one has actually questioned that I am doing it by diet alone especially when they see me counting calories. It is apersonal choice though & lots of people have wated to tell everyone ... each to their own, darlin xxx :D:D:D

ive told my parents ( i live with them ) and 4 of my very close friends, also work has found out as i was asking a girl there who's had the op alot of questions. i planned on hiding it as twinkle said most people know ive been on a diet and im going up and down but now im thinking about telling them when ive had the op ( dont wanna say before incase it doesnt happen and im left red faced) and if anyone slags me off or has anything to say them im going to tell them to sod off, its my choice and i dont need them :D

I'm not planning on telling many people about having WLS surgery as I think many people in my circle are pretty judgemental.

I was wondering though what people could offer as advice in how to explain the rapid weight loss?

As others have said, whom and how much you tell them is up to you. But, I don't think you have to worry about "rapid" weight loss being an issue do you?

Looking at where you are starting from - i.e wanting to reduce by 77lbs and your current weight:-

Circa two weeks before op you will be on a "liver reduction" diet - which seems to suggest 7-10lbs loss (but that is often the amount any of us would lose the first couple of weeks of a diet - IF we ever kept to it), then the week of surgery (which again may be a bit more than normal weight loss) but I think it will soon settle down to an average of 2lb a week loss, which is quotes "normal" for a calorie controlled diet.

So the answer could be, "i'm keeping to it this time, that's the difference".

Wobbletogo said:

Thanks for posting this very question that has been banging around in my brain since my consultation with the surgeon yesterday.

My hubby and sister know and for he moment, if not for ever, I am going to keep it that way. Like you I have not had it done so will see how I feel nearer the time.

Good luck :)

TwinkleTwinkle said:
I told no one except my hubby, 3 grown up children & their partners (plus several thousand people on here, lol) & have not regretted it. I was always on a diet so people were used to me going up & down. No one has actually questioned that I am doing it by diet alone especially when they see me counting calories. It is apersonal choice though & lots of people have wated to tell everyone ... each to their own, darlin xxx :D:D:D

"plus several thousand people on here, lol"

Sorry Twinkle Twinkle but still giggling about this sentence!! I am the Same over on the other Minimins website on the Exante forum. Confess and discuss all there, but divulge nothing in public!! :)

only told my mum thats it end of and only because she will need to look after my cats she kinda sabotages all my attempts and only lives next door :(

Snap! Just my hubby and mum and dad know, no one else! Although I have asked advice of two people who have had a gastric band, and I am worried they will see me and say 'OOh so you did it then'
I might just lie and say 'No, they wouldn't give me the funding so had to do lighterlife'
But it is making me a little bit anxious!
I like the idea of this Secret Society! xxxx

Muttley your answer intrigues me, as you are starting at a similar point to me, has your surgeon told you your weight loss will be slow?

Last edited:
I too did not tell many people. It is definitley a personal choice. I'm glad i made this decision as people make assumptions upon your hard work and put it down just to the surgery not taking into consideration the daily workouts!

I've told everyone I work with, my parents, my partner, his family and the majority of my friends. I have no problem at all with people knowing.

I'm proud of the decision I've made to be pro active about my future health. If anyone wants to be judgemental or has a problem with it, it's their problem not mine.

has your surgeon told you your weight loss will be slow?

No.

I have found that most surgeons or agents/providers tell me things like, and i paraphrase here 'research has shown that you would typically lose x% of your excess weight over y time.' and then more importantly for you.... 'for the wrap procedure, there isn't enough conclusive data as it is such a relativly new procedure, but we expect the weight loss to be similar or a little bit slower to the sleeve'.

Has your surgeon told you your weight loss is going to be quick?

The only people who knew I was having the op were my hubby, my mum, my immediate boss and 4 really close friends. Thing was, everyone at work knew I'd had an operation and I was off a lot longer than expected (infection issues!), so when I eventually came back, I'd aready lost a noticeable amount of weight and the rumours started! Apparently I'd a)had a hysterectomy b)got cancer c)become anorexic or d)left my husband (although I don't think you need to have an op to do that....!!)
Although it was really nice they were concerned, I got a bit sick of all the questions and speculation so I told a few people at work and know they all know. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed about what I did - I had very specific reasons. I talk openly about it if anyone has a question. A couple of people kind of said "that's cheating", etc., so I just gave them both barrels (in a polite way, of course!) and explained why I did it because basically they were just ignorant of the facts - ie they thought it was just about getting thin quick, when we all know it's so much more than that.

I told all in work on my return after surgery this way no chitter chatter. So we now have a sweep going on what my weight will be by Christmas.

With 70% of the take going to the winner and 30% to a chosen company charity. Win Win all round I say.

Obviously I can't take part in the sweep as I could be seen as fiddling it if I suddenly start to regain weight lol.

Victoria x

I've told everyone who knows me!
But as Paula Lewis says, if anyone has a problem with it, that's their problem not mine!

But ultimately it's your choice, only you know who will or won't be judgemental towards you.
Lots of luck.
Em xxxxx

I originally told only my family and 1 member of my staff, who would be on her own for several weeks!! I didn't even tell my sister. Mainly because I didn't think it was anyone elses business.

However over the last few weeks I have been telling people , if they ask"whats your secret?"
I have felt a little uncomfortable with people thinking I'd done it with Slimming world or weight watchers etc.

What I have stressed though is that this is no easy option and if they could do it any other way...to do it!!!

I dont want anyone to think I'm ashamed of my choice to take control of my life with this op....but I truly didnt think anyone would give a damn...however people have shown a genuine interest in my well being and I've only had positive comments

I have told anyone and everyone as I am happy with the path I took in my life to give me better health to have a family and a life. If people have a problem that's isn't my fault but I haven't found anyone be funny about it thankfully.

But some people are happy to tell very few x

Durhamlass14 said:
I tell anyone I dont give a stuff

Ditto. And sometimes had I not have it would have been damn rough disguising that something's wrong!!!! :)

Back