• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Secret Society

I only told my best friend, sister and a close friend who was going thru the same thing at the same time. I find it easier to tell new acquaintances and my nail technician over my friends and family as they don't seem to judge as much. I guess one day I will have to tell my mum but not just yet ;)

The biggest weight loss is generally in the beginning and you'll have been in hospital and such. Folks who think I was just in for a hernia repair didn't blink at me having a sore tum, being 10lbs thinner (if they noticed, when you're big, 10lbs doesn't show so much) or having no appetite. Now that I've lost closer to 40lbs they notice but say 'you're looking good' and I say thanks, back to exercise (true) and doing low-carb (true). It's all been very low-key and hearing exercise and diet is dull to them so there's no chatter, just someone getting in shape after illness/surgery.

I'm proud of what I have done.. My body my life, I've told everyone.. High protein, low carb exercise and a little help from my surgeon.. We are the ones that do the hard work.. If anyone judges me then that's their problem.. So far I've had heaps of supports and everyone in the office are always keen to see my progress..

I didn't tell anyone before though.. I told my work colleagues the day before I left as I didn't want anyone changing my mind lol x

Claire Anna - did your company pay you sick pay?
I'm telling HR that it is a 'private' op and I don't want to go into details, and all of my letters have had anything removed to do with WLS.

I'm defo not telling anyone before, family think I'm having a simple hernia repair, but I am stressing about lying to them!

Mum and hubby know, the most important people

clar01 said:
Claire Anna - did your company pay you sick pay?
I'm telling HR that it is a 'private' op and I don't want to go into details, and all of my letters have had anything removed to do with WLS.

I'm defo not telling anyone before, family think I'm having a simple hernia repair, but I am stressing about lying to them!

Mum and hubby know, the most important people

I had 3 weeks off initially 1 for the op and 2 for recovery.. I took these as holidays.. However I went back for a week, but I didn't feel right, I had terrible lack of energy and was snappy and tired.. So I then had 3 weeks off and they paid me full for it. I wasn't expecting that at all so they have been great..

Your employers need to be confidential anyway so I wouldn't worry. Difficult keeping it from people it must feel bad.. I was too excited anyway and I'm a terrible liar.. Lol. Good luck anyway x

Paula Lewis said:
I've told everyone I work with, my parents, my partner, his family and the majority of my friends. I have no problem at all with people knowing.

I'm proud of the decision I've made to be pro active about my future health. If anyone wants to be judgemental or has a problem with it, it's their problem not mine.

I totally agree and have done the same Paula x

Sent from my HTC One X using WLSurgery

I have decided to try and keep this a secret. Obviously my husband knows and my son who is in his 20s but no one else knows. I am hoping to have a gastric sleeve at the end of the year. A lady came into my workplace who had just had a bypass on the nhs. After she had left they *****ed about her being fat lazy cant control her eating etc etc and how they had to diet to loose weight and why should they the tax payer pay for her op. I couldnt keep my mouth shut and said that one could then say that they should not operate on smokers alcoholics etc and they said but that was different I stated that I didnt feel it was.So having seen their reactiion I am not telling them. But am hoping to get my doc to be a bit imagnative with my sick note. Will book 2 weeks leave and the rest sick. But all depends on doc, if not will have to come clean about it all.

So far my aunt knows, she is worried about me doing it, but not judgemental, in fact she wishes she was brave enough! I told a colleague I volunteer with, he's a counsellor so is very understanding, my GP understands but is concerned about me going abroad. I saw my gynae today, I have a prolapse, he said weight loss would help that so I told him what I was planning and he was horrified saying I wasn't fat enough...doh but he'd just told me to lose weight!!!

I am so close to telling people at work, but like Clair-anna don't want anyone trying to change my mind lol I am going to speak to the surgeon who did an op on me 3 years ago, he's a sweetie and hopefully will enlighten me about the true complications and what to watch for.

I was hoping to just have the week off whilst away and then go back to work, I sit at a desk all day, so does anyone want to comment on whether they think that's a realistic idea or not?

me too

I am the same i only told my nearest and dearest. If like me you exercise alot there will be no questions as it will be down to healthy eating and the exercise.;);):)

Back