• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why do people try and jeopardise their operations?

I love this site and the beauty of it is that you get a different perspective on so many things - so :grouphugg:. A democracy means that you can share an opinion without fear of recrimination which a lot of people in this world cannot exercise. I hope we can all continue to share our different perspectives here - openly and without fear.

Of course not love, no problem...
Hope you are getting yourself relaxed for your forthcoming op and good luck with that...
Most important thing is that we all help each other through on this journey... mind how you go and very best wishes xxx

Could not agree more Tranquil, it's important in particular for those who feel more isolated xxx

Sorry, I'm a great tit at times, I think it's lack of food...I'm goin a bit stir crazy locked away in my room at the moment, because i fear i may eat anything that moves at present, Including my 7 stone wringing wet Mother...lol :hug99: xxx

It's understandable K8, your body must wonder what the heck is going on and you have a busy time ahead, please relax yourself and take time for a pamper! xxx

I think at the end of the day this op isnt a diet. Its something we have to live with for the rest of our lives, therefore why restrict your eating to healthy food 100% of the time - if I could do that, then I would not have needed the operation in the first place. My team and my dietician are aware of my struggles and try to assist me in not eating the bad things, but Im always being told 'moderation Sal' so thats not a no-no.
This bypass or band or sleeve etc. is for life - If you are so perfect (not you specifically lol) then why need the op in the first place?
Hope that helps
Sal xxxxxx

I got to agree with the thoughts on NHS/Private.

Am I, a man who has worked constantly from the age of 16 and paid my taxes, my national Insurance etc etc all my life, not entitled to get some of that money back by using the NHS that it's used to fund?

Or is 'my' money better spent giving it to a drug addict who's never worked, got a flat paid for, a weekly amount of cash to blow on drugs and a daily dose of methadone thrown in for good measure?

and dont forget the wide screen tv lol

There is no mileage in anyone putting another down... we are all in the same boat and we all struggle from time to time, we are not programmed machines.

I don't think i put anyone down Bev...At least i didn't mean to? Or is this my guilty conscience? lol
xx

''I took it exactly the same way Keeley, and found it offensive to be honest that someone dare imply that in some way NHS patients are less deserving and should be grateful.'' Quote Sambucca's earlier thread....

amongst others...

My point is that wherever possible, one thing that we have in common is that many of us have great sensitivity which requires an 'understanding'...

I would not want to see any of my supportive friends on this website hurt, 'put down' in any way or made to feel that they are unable to come forward and say how they feel.

Thanks xxx

OK, so now Im confused. Bev, are you saying by quoting my comment that you feel I am guilty of "putting people down"?

If so, I wish to make clear that I absolutely have not put anyone down. As moderator here, it is my job to ensure that no one does that, so I really do not appreciate being accused of that myself (or perhaps I have got the wrong end of the stick here???)

I stand by the comment you have quoted. I personally was offended by the tone of the original post suggesting that NHS patients are somehow less worthy of their operations. I'm very confused though about how that could be putting anyone down.

I have been watching this thread with interest (I watch them all, thats my job ;)) and I have to say I am impressed with how we have ALL handled the difference of opinions and tried not to make it personal. I was worried that this thread would quickly become heated and have to be closed, but I feel the issues have been debated in an adult manner and we have all had the opportunity to say how we feel.

Jaffa, Kudos to you for starting such a controversial thread. I may not agree with your opinion (although I would have agreed with you this time 12 months ago about the jeapardising the op, but not the NHS v private debate)

Group hug anyone?
:grouphugg:

I totally agree Sam... it has been a confusing thread and I don't think for one minute anyone said that... it's the last thing I would ever think of since you take the same balanced views that I do... it's either a typing error or misprint, since it's now confusing me! I don't for one minute think like that and always feel that your input is invaluable... it's a typing mistake and now I too am confused! xxx

I totally agree Sam... it has been a confusing thread and I don't think for one minute anyone said that... it's the last thing I would ever think of since you take the same balanced views that I do... it's either a typing error or misprint, since it's now confusing me! I don't for one minute think like that and always feel that your input is invaluable... it's a typing mistake and now I too am confused! xxx

LOL

Glad we cleared that one up Bev!

I'll join in a :grouphugg:

I'm sure no-one meant to offend anyone else.

Its not always easy to put down in writing what you'd say out loud. I sometimes re-read my posts and think did I really mean that!!

We also all have our own bugbears that pick a scab when scratched (like me and alcoholics and liver transplants) or the Private v NHS debate.

Proud of us that we haven't let it become a vicious arguement though!!

Angela

Certainly not... a balanced view is the best and only way with this type of thread.

It's raised the blood pressure of a few over the last days and by making a contribution to express support to others... as in my case... it can be misunderstood...

It's not in my nature to show lack of understanding or insensitivity to others and I agree entirely, very often when the written word is read back it can sound very much different than it was meant...

A group hug should be celebrated on this one and put it to bed! xxx

I'll join in a :grouphugg:

I'm sure no-one meant to offend anyone else.

Its not always easy to put down in writing what you'd say out loud. I sometimes re-read my posts and think did I really mean that!!

We also all have our own bugbears that pick a scab when scratched (like me and alcoholics and liver transplants) or the Private v NHS debate.

Proud of us that we haven't let it become a vicious arguement though!!

Angela

Angela, I should've posted earlier when I read the post about your hubby......

......but it was late!.........but thank you for sharing what you did about your hubby's experience.
It's so easy to jump in and think,

"oh this person's 'deserving', that one isn't".....

but the truth is that the only person who truly knows what's going on and what has gone, on to bring someone to such a terrible place...be it alcoholism, drug addiction, obesity, even something like crime or prostitution........is the person themselves and the ones who live with them and try to support them. The one thing that I believe is the common denominator is pain and heart-ache. The cure for that?
Tolerance, acceptance and love.......not the whole cure maybe, but they go a long, long way.

Which goes to show that none of us can afford to be judgemental of anyone else. I like what it says in one of my favourite books,

'To Kill a Mockingbird'

Atticus Finch speaking to his daughter about racism and poverty (as I remember)
........ you can't truly know what someone else is going through until you climb into their shoes and walk around in them for a while.

Thanks again. xxx

Love and peace to all. xxxxxxx

It's true, just a slight mistake in a sentence can change the whole shape of a genuine comment.

Everyone's opinion is equally as valuable, I don't think anyone would have intentionally wished to hurt anyone...

It's true that sometimes when something is read back it can sound so remote from what was originally intended...

The main thing is that everyone is enabled to fulfil their journeys in a positive way with understanding support xxx

Just read this thread with interest and lots of 'oh my gosh' moments and 'you cant say that!!'

The postcode lottery is c**p, so we should all move to more affluent areas within the country and get things on the NHS !! LOL

I did get funding put had to be persistant after being refused a couple of times, I understand because I work within the NHS and know there are other things such as immunisations that need paying for out of the same pot of money. Life is difficult especially when you need help along with many others needing it and someone unknown making all the decisions.

I was surprised at some of the comments on this thread such as why drug users are getting help on the NHS, did seem abit strong as why should anyone get help with their addictions and others not. Who has the right to judge who lives or dies??

At the end of the day fat, old, smokers and addicts will always be at the bottom of priority lists and a good group that the community at large can blame for the state of everything and the system.

A society should be judged by the way they treat their most needy. This site has always done that very well at looking after each other and not judging, lets try and keep it that way as its always been a safe place for people to get advice without putting others down.

I am a newcomer to the site and have found it extremely useful, I have learned more from here than from reading the books on the subject.

Also, to feel a part of the Salford community group is extra special.

It is a unique forum where people feel safe enough to express their anxieties about the whole range of thoughts and personal experiences which challenge our journey for WLS.

I would never and could never put anyone down that is in need of support...

Shouldering gently and listening to others with understanding is so valuable... and it is here for us.

xxx

I have refrained from posting on this thread as I feel very passionately about the postcode lottery and knew that in my current hormonnal state of mind that it may well be misconstrewed(as the written word is very 2 dimensional with no feeling or emotional to dhow where the writer is coming from). I have enjoyed reading the thread as it has shown that although we have a differences of opinions and different experiences we are able to discuss things with out causing grief or personally insulting others.

it is amazing how many people change their opinions on post op eating when they are on the other side and I really do think that the ore op preparation and post op care play a vital part in how successful we are post op. If you are not happy with your provider or don't understand anything you need to talk to them and ask for their help. It can be a very lonely journey for some people, especially if they feel they are being judged for doing something they have always done.

Food addiction is one of the worst kinds of addiction because we need food to live, drugs and alcohol are not an essential part of life where as food is. With out food and is vital nutrients we would die and if we were able to deal with our demons and issues without help and support we wouldn't be walking the weight loss surgery journey we are on. That is why getting into good habits in the early stages is essential as is finding another coping mechanism that doesn't involve food or drink.

I have made some very dear and special friends though his forum and I really hope that others will get what I have from it and continue to use it in such a way as jhas been shown in this thread.

X

Ps Sam congrats on the silver star, the first on wlsurgery, it shows that you are a supportive member of the forum and do your job as a moderator excellently and I for one take my hat off to you. x x x x

Ps Sam congrats on the silver star, the first on wlsurgery, it shows that you are a supportive member of the forum and do your job as a moderator excellently and I for one take my hat off to you. x x x x

WOW Sam a silver star congrats hun very well done a very much deserved, your an absolute star of the site ;) xxxx

Last edited:
Back