• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A long weigh to go ~ Kat's "band aid" diary

So, I am slowly getting prepared. Last night I went and bought a smoothie maker/blender which also crushes ice and a hand blender that I can bring into the office. I've also bought myself some super sensitive/accurate (hopefully!) scales as mine the other day were all over the place, so much so that I stood on the scales, had lost 8 lb stood on them again, hadn't lost anything, and then the 3rd time, 3lb.

As such, the ones I have now, go even down to the 50g and when I set them up this morning, each weigh was around the same point give or take, so am happy with that :)

Tonight I shall be heading off to the shops to buy enough milk to keep a dairy in business, my yoghurts, stock cubes and I bought lots of sugar free jelly yesterday. The lady asked me if we were having a party, I just said "no, just me" lol

Can't believe it's only 2 weeks to go tomorrow, so much to do, plan and the stepdad has still made no time away from the new gf even tho I've told him I need to speak to him and its confidential. As such, he's on holiday while I have my op, and I am rather tempted to not even bother.

I feel a little hurt that he knew I needed to talk to him, that it was important (and personal) but that he has made no effort. But then, ever since she arrived on the scene, it hasn't been any other way, guess it just confirms where we rank in the scheme of things. Hard to think he's been in my life since I was 11, and well, he's no real different to my real dad, both don't give a toss!

So. I know where I fit into the "family".
:(

Sounding well prepared Kat! Sorry to read about your stepdad must be upsetting. Hoping you're getting some support from someone and you've always got us here to listen x

Pre-op Milk diet day 1

My first day.

Pre-op Milk Diet. Decided to do this, even tho it isn't a suggested one for me with the provider I am going through. Am finding the low fat/cal one just isn't working right for me, because if it did, I wouldn't be facing the banding!

So . . .out of choice I am going to follow this, no choice of food, only what flavour NAS jelly to have suits me fine.

How nice it was to start the day with a nice cold glass of milk :) before heading off to walk the dogs before work. I woke up however, with the early signs of a migraine, and I know that this one is kicking in "stress" related. And I have missed having my mid morning fruit here at work and now its lunchtime and I've still only had my 1 glass of milk, a coffe and a cup of tea lol

2 weeks today until surgery. :eek: :eek: :eek:

One of the things that I can't quite get my head around still. The fear of that GA still there and building by the day. I sat there this morning having gotten out of the shower, looking at the pile of clothes waiting to be put away, realising that soon, I will not have to put these size clothes away for much longer. I have 5 wardrobes full of clothes, 2 set of 5 drawers full of clothes, 4 suitcases full of clothes, 2 cupboards, yes you've guessed it, full of clothes. And very few of them fit. I have everything from size 18 (something I've not been in since I was 17!) right the way through to where I am now, some of which are hitting a size 34. I have 2 pairs of trousers that I've just bought, (why did I do that?!) which are a size 34, but are too long for me. I sat there this morning and realised that, not only can I not take them back, but that I won't actually get to wear them.

All of the times I've dieted in the past, sometimes seeing weight losses of 5-6 stone, I've gone up and down the scale of sizes and have brought new clothes to match. But then, I've never had the confidence before to get rid of the larger sizes.

As it was, it has always been the right decision as I've always put that weight back on, and the clothes have come back out.

But this is going to be different. I am not going to put them away when they become too big. I'm either going to take them to the charity shop, chuck them in the bin, or for all of the new clothes that I've not worn I may even sell them on ebay, ready for those new clothes in smaller sizes that I am no doubt going to want to get :)

Do you know what, what with my stuff and DS's stuff I could set up my own Oxfam shop and have enough stock for a year LOL :rolleyes::eek:

This will actually be a big change for me. Not holding onto the stuff with the thought that one day, I will probably need them again. This is actually quite hard for the lil ol' head to get around when it's been that way through all of my life.

I know that there will be many things, I also am aware that some of the things will actually be harder for me to get my head around than others.

While sat there, (a reflective moment at 7am is not perhaps the best time lol) I actually tried to think longer term, and couldn't actually picture what it would be like to be "slim". I know I will probably never get to a small size, but then when you've been a minimum of a size 16 which I was when I started at senior school and had to have my school uniform made to order, and where I am now at a 34, I can't quite imagine being down at the size 18/20 its been so long, let alone anything else.

Can I picture myself "slim"?

No.

I've decided to place the dogs with the home from home boarder for the day of my op, my discharge day and the saturday and sunday of the weekend. This way, I wont have to worry about them being at home, and also as my Aunt is coming into look after DS, I don't want them to have to worry about getting them out and about. And I know that I will not feel like walking them on the saturday and sunday, being limited to a 10-15 min plod won't suit them. So while they don't like going, they get great hill walks so that will do them good and mean I don't have to worry.

I'm worrying enough about other things right now . . .lol

Right . . .it's time for lunch.
Strawberry Flavour NAS milk jelly, made by my own fair hands last night.

Yum! Will I be saying that next week? Who knows LOL :rolleyes:

Pre-op Day 1 milk diet
will come and edit/update this part later

730am 1/2 pint mixed Semi and skimmed milk
930am 1 cup decaf coffee
1045am 1 cup tea with sweetener
1245 pm 1/2 pint portion of strawberry NAS milk jelly.
230pm 1/2 pint semi and skimmed milk mixed
315pm small portion of lime NAS jelly made with lemonade topped with 100g of low fat peach yoghurt
445pm 1/2 pint skimmed milk / 3tbs lowfat peach yoghurt smoothie
1830 ~ 1/2 pint pepsi max
2100 ~ 1/2 pint skimmed milk made as a latte

So far
2 pints Milk
All yoghurt gone.

Last edited:
:clap::clap: I bought a new smoothie maker earlier in the week in readiness for this milk diet and also for the liquid stage post op.

:7834: I've just made one with 250ml skimmed milk, with 3 tbs of peach low fat yoghurt and 6 ice cubes, and OMG it was lovely :) the frothy part of it has really filled me up which I wasn't particularly expecting.

On a sidenote, I feel really emotional today. Have been watching the Lympics and shed tears at the Horses doing dressage . . I mean . . WHAT is that about? lol And then the woman just won a medal in boxing (and I hate boxing) and I felt like crying again . . .

I do feel the stress of the impending date, starting this milk diet marking 2 weeks to go, and to think that in two weeks time I am more than likely to have had my op (admission time is 12pm) it makes me feel really nervous. Perhaps that is where the emotional ups and downs are coming from . . .the fact that it is a reality, but one that I'm really go through on my own right now.

*sigh* I'm really feeling the loss of my Mum right now. I wish she were here :(

So, day 2 of the pre-op milk diet.

I feel better today. I really don't know why I was feeling so totally emotional, but more so tearful yesterday. As it is, I only managed 2 1/4 pints of what I should have. And already today it is 12pm and I've only had 1/2 pint milk and a yoghurt.

I neither feel hungry, not really want food. The smell wafting up from the sandwich shop downstairs earlier was a bit difficult, the wafting smell of cooking bacon sets of the taste buds, but, I must get used to it ~ after all, it isn't as if I can change offices lol

It's nearly the weekend, and I am going to sit DS down over the weekend and explain to him what is going on. He was asking questions last night about my diet changes that he's already seen over the past week, and I was answering him, but I didn't want to overload him or speak about the upcoming surgery.

So, that's the plan of action for the weekend. And the fact that its his football team BBQ and that is gonna be rather difficult seeing as Im not eating.

Hmmm . . .

Day 2 pre op milk diet

8am 1/2 pint skimmed/semi skimmed milk mixed
930am cup of coffee
1115am cup of tea
230pm 1/2 pint milk and a portion of strawberry NAS milk jelly
315pm 1/2 pint milk with ice and vanilla extract
6pm 1/2 pint milk made as latte
7pm 1 muller yoghurt.

Last edited:
Hi Kat, have only just picked up your diary thread, so apologies for delayed response and support. I am inspired by your taking this exciting but difficult journey without lots of immediate support, and with your son so much in your thoughts. I'm also impressed you are doing the milky thing - I bottled that one and went with protein! Hope you are feeling good today, and that your chat with son goes okay this w/e. Our youngest is 13 and was hesitant of the change but was fine with it. My biggest issue was not to project my fear onto him (I'm an anaesethic-phobe too!). Sorry mum is not with you, Such loss is very difficult and especially when we have a journey to share. We are here in WLS for you - I had found holding a virtual hand invaluable the last month or so .... I am so looking forward to yoou being post surgery and reading about your successes and feeling your relief at being on the losers bench. Tracey xxx

It's my SDD today . . .

Oh my goodness, just realised that it ain't long now . . .

Anyone wanna join me for my "single digit dance"

:talk017: 9 days til surgery:talk017:

:family2::bliss::talk017::talk017::smiley1842:
:26::0clapper::0clapper::0clapper::banana dancer::banana dancer::banana dancer::0icanfly::party0019::party0019:

:bananalove::bananalove:

*actually I don't feel like dancing cos I feel like a water bomb with all this milk LOL* and there is such a mixed feeling, excitement, anticipation, but also downright fear! Holy Moly!

I'm sure Kellie will come dance . . .she's a 9 day dancer too :)

You seem to be doing really well on the pre op diet! Not long now hune ,wishing all the best for your op congrats on having the courage to get it done. well done

Back