• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A New Beginning!

Good luck for Tuesday, how exciting, its the best thing I've done, having my bypass. Well done on getting through the pre-op diet, especially with all those temptations around you. xx

Thanks girlies! Yes, it really has been a test of my willpower. As my brother said, it just goes to prove how badly I want this!

I've never not cheated on a diet on my life! I've always done the whole "Oh, one little chocolate bar won't hurt.", etc. Or just chucked in the towel when things get a bit tough. But, knowing that if I don't do it, I don't get my op gives me that extra push to actually stick to it.

EDIT: They requested a Vitamin D test because they noticed it was pretty low last time I had bloods taken and was prescribed supplements (which I haven't been taking, because I have to chew them and they're revolting! Oops!). I just hope that all the sunning I've been doing recently has made up for it. Or else my doctor will be angry! :p

I don't think it affects my bypass, though. I think it was just something he wanted to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
Thanks girlies! Yes, it really has been a test of my willpower. As my brother said, it just goes to prove how badly I want this!

I've never not cheated on a diet on my life! I've always done the whole "Oh, one little chocolate bar won't hurt.", etc. Or just chucked in the towel when things get a bit tough. But, knowing that if I don't do it, I don't get my op gives me that extra push to actually stick to it.

EDIT: They requested a Vitamin D test because they noticed it was pretty low last time I had bloods taken and was prescribed supplements (which I haven't been taking, because I have to chew them and they're revolting! Oops!). I just hope that all the sunning I've been doing recently has made up for it. Or else my doctor will be angry! :p

I don't think it affects my bypass, though. I think it was just something he wanted to keep an eye on.

I was like that on diets, and although im only on day 5 thats my motivation that the op wont go ahead or spend over £6000 for nothing!

I hope your Vitamin D is up!! get chewing xx ;)

Well, I'm finally on the other side! My bypass is done and it all went well, according to surgeon. Just need to see the dietician and hopefully I should be home later today!

I just read your diary and I'm amazed how well you've done on your pre-op diet despite all the temptations. You are a great example for many of those who cheat and then make excuses. Very well done, rest up now and hope you recover quickly. X

Thank you, Ines! As I've said, I never really managed to stick to any diet 100% before, ESPECIALLY through any kind of temptation. But, I guess that proves how much I really wanted this!

The woman in the bed next to me on the ward before we went down for surgery had apparently only lost 3lbs on her liver shrinking diet. The surgeon said that definitely wasn't enough to shrink the liver, so be prepared for the chance that they may not be able to do the surgery.

I just thought... Why? I mean, I know it's such a hard diet, but why ruin your chances before you've even started? I totally agree that you need to complete change the way you look at food to actually have any chance of this being a long-term thing. This isn't a fad diet, this is the rest of your life, and I think you need to be prepared for that. And that includes sticking to the pre op diet!

Currently sat here sipping a teeny bit fruit smoothie, thoroughly strained and a bit watered down, as it's the only thing I can face at the moment. It's not painful (not like the teaspoon of fromage frais I tried last night that gave me bad stomach pains!), but I can feel it sitting in my stomach. It's very odd!

I'm also a little worried that I just don't feel hungry. At all. I'm forcing myself to eat. And, even though I'm only having very small amounts of liquids (other than water), I haven't felt full either. I just feel completely uninterested in eating/ drinking. I'm only doing it because I know I need to. So I'm keeping my portions small and frequent, so as not to overdo it or stretch the pouch at all.

Oh, and this lactulose liquid is REVOLTING! I don't know if it's that my tastes have changed or if it's just stupidly sweet, but it tastes like I'm drinking pure honey with some sugar dissolved in! Haha. GROSS!

All my tastebuds have changed, everything I liked pre op I detest now & vice versa.... I am 9 weeks gone & still no appetite, I have to remind myself to eat/drink constantly

Good luck with your new adventures & welcome to the losers side :)

All my tastebuds have changed, everything I liked pre op I detest now & vice versa.... I am 9 weeks gone & still no appetite, I have to remind myself to eat/drink constantly Good luck with your new adventures & welcome to the losers side :)
Thank you!

It seems everyone is different in regards to appetite post-op. I've read that some people are like us, and experience little to no hunger. And that some feel ravenous and can't seem to fill themselves while on the liquid diet!

I guess I'm glad I'm the former, at least I don't feel deprived. If anything, I feel like I have to force myself to eat/ drink the measly amount I am! Haha

Also, I just wanted to mention that I've made a new diary over in the Post-Op Diaries section now. Since, ya'know, I'm not a pre-opper anymore ;) God, it feels good to say that! Hehe.

New Diary: http://www.wlsurgery.com/gastric-bypass-rny-food-diaries/157421-ms-r-simpkins-post-op-diary.html

Last edited:
Back