• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A timely reminder... be warned this is long!

Ruthiep said:
Shelley: I suffered horribly from osteoarthritis in my spine, knees and one foot before my op...in fact it was this pain that pushed me to do something about my weight, not so much my size. I wasn't that huge pre op, "only" 14 and a half stone, but for someone of 5' 1" it was plenty big enough. I have also been over 17st, that was back in the early 2000's but I managed to lose 6st just by sheer determination. Couldn't keep it off for long, put about 3 1/2st back. Now 4 months post sleeve, I'm under 11st, feeling great, pain gone from most places. It's amazing how much our weight contributes to our bodily aches and pains; even my spinal doctor didn't believe that having WLS would make any difference to my arthritis. After all, arthritis doesn't "go away" but the pain certainly did!

Good luck on your journey; I also have a large family (7 adult kids, all married with kids of their own!) and they've been great about all of this.

Thank you so much Ruth that has really given me a push and some hope for the future. 7 grown up children? The thought terrifies me lol. They take so much time and energy as little ones, not sure how we will cope as they get older.

Just called THG and found out that they have forgotten to send me a pack on the ore and post op diet! Good luck I checked.

Slightly amazed that they just want me to do a 1000 calorie diet for the week before and that is it. No need to have any nasty laxatives or medication prior which I was really worried about!

Sh did say there advice was 4 weeks of liquids after rather than just 2!

Had a pretty cap couple of days. Feel starving at the moment but think it is more that my head tells me to eat things in case I will not be able to have it again. Still not got my pre and post op diet and really not sure whether I should just do the 1000 calorie a day build up. I almost think I need a specific diet so that I have time for my head and body to realise this is change forever. Oh well who am I to know?

Just had my smear too! God I hate it. Have put it off for almost a year and then got fed up of the reminders! I did suggest to my wife that we could do a double trip to the dr and have beds side by side but she wasn't that excited! Bloods taken yesterday, felt like they drained me, the hope is that it will give me a base level to work to and see when there are problems. So by may I should have a clear bill of health and be ready for my op.

Seems strange with so many people having their op this week, making me kind of nervous. Got to speak to my boss on Monday about the time I will have off afterwards. Can really only take a week as I have 2 young people who are coming out of prison the week after. So wish I was more emotionally detached sometimes.

Good luck with everything
Kathryn xxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks Kat.

I am now 14 days to go. Seems to be coming round so quickly. Have to start and get things up together. Been reading my booklet given to me by the hospital group and it says that all my piercings have to be taken out. Has anyone had any experiences or have any ideas on how to keep holes open lol! I know fuffs had a laugh with her surgeon. Sophie, was all ok with the retainer? Did you get it in and out ok? Have never used one before

Good luck with your op, it sounds like you have a great support network in your wife and children :)
I have recently diagnosed fibro and although my GP says its a non weight related condition, I just wonder if significant weight loss on my part might ease some of my pain.:confused:
Em xxxxx

Just read the bit about piercings, you can buy tiny little plastic tubes which fit into your piercings to keep them open, I'm pretty sure you'll get them on eBay .
They're called retainers and you can get different sizes for different piercings.
Hope this helps
Em xxx

Shelley what an amazing story! I wish you well for your op, it's just before mine, so we can recuperate together on here! Good luck! If you need info on a pre-op diet, let me know as I have mine available

Evenstarr said:
Good luck with your op, it sounds like you have a great support network in your wife and children :)
I have recently diagnosed fibro and although my GP says its a non weight related condition, I just wonder if significant weight loss on my part might ease some of my pain.:confused:
Em xxxxx

Fibro isn't weight related but my disability and pain levels effect my mobility greatly, leading to weight gain which in turn makes it harder to get round. The lethargy is also not helped with having to carry weight around.

In thinking about it, I don't think I can recall a single skinny person with fibro! Even my medication for it leaves you prone to weight gain!

When did you get diagnosed evenstarr? How does it present in your life? I am really hoping that the op will have a positive effect on the fibro!

Evenstarr said:
Just read the bit about piercings, you can buy tiny little plastic tubes which fit into your piercings to keep them open, I'm pretty sure you'll get them on eBay .
They're called retainers and you can get different sizes for different piercings.
Hope this helps
Em xxx

I've never used retainers and have some 'private' piercings. I'm not totally sure I could change them on my own. Are they easy to put in and out? Are they prone to falling out?

Lisav said:
Shelley what an amazing story! I wish you well for your op, it's just before mine, so we can recuperate together on here! Good luck! If you need info on a pre-op diet, let me know as I have mine available

Thanks Lisa! Yes it is all coming around quickly now!!!

Just posted on your diary. Also going to do lasts week as milk diet but need to know exactly what we can have. Got pre op next Friday and then becca's birthday on the Saturday so going to Cardiff for a dance and last drinks. Then it will be milk all the way. Will have to keep each other going! Getting nervous now.

The milk diets are different for different hospitals. Mine was 5-6 pints. With 2 oxo cubes and sugar free jelly and 3 sticks gum.

Personally I've not noticed any improvement in my fibro sorry, but everyone's different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The milk diets are different for different hospitals. Mine was 5-6 pints. With 2 oxo cubes and sugar free jelly and 3 sticks gum.

OMG! 5-6 pints! i hate the stuff and was thinking 3-4 pints is going to be hard enough.

Well, as i am doing it as an 'extra' rather than as prescribed by my consultant. i have started 'my' milk diet today. I am going to try to have 3 - 4 pints of semi milk, with 2 yoghurts and 2 pieces of fruit. I hate anything like oxo so that will be out.

Do you have to take your vitamins once you start the milk diet??

It was lovely reading the start of your diary hun. I look forward to your updates as the weigh starts to drop off!
It's amazing how many of us on here are disabled. I notice this isn't often picked up by the tabloids when they're having a go at WLS.
I was thin and active until my bowel condition meant I had to have a stoma and I was frightened to exercise as I adjusted to my new body. Thanks to that I went from 8 st to almost 17 st. I had my operation in Jan and it's the best thing I ever did. I genuinely wish you luck!!
xx

Louise1 said:
It was lovely reading the start of your diary hun. I look forward to your updates as the weigh starts to drop off!
It's amazing how many of us on here are disabled. I notice this isn't often picked up by the tabloids when they're having a go at WLS.
I was thin and active until my bowel condition meant I had to have a stoma and I was frightened to exercise as I adjusted to my new body. Thanks to that I went from 8 st to almost 17 st. I had my operation in Jan and it's the best thing I ever did. I genuinely wish you luck!!
xx

Louise, I a, a coeliac and have had real problems with my intestines. I was not diagnosed til 2 years ago and by then it was a complete mess. Has your WLS improved your health? Was concerned how it may effect nutrition when I have struggled previously in any case.

I've never used retainers and have some 'private' piercings. I'm not totally sure I could change them on my own. Are they easy to put in and out? Are they prone to falling out?

hi if you carnt get your piercings out they will put some steri tape over them or you can if they are to private dont worry. xx:D:D

lyndajoan said:
hi if you carnt get your piercings out they will put some steri tape over them or you can if they are to private dont worry. xx:D:D

Thank god for that!

Have just weighed in. First day of milk diet and ok so far. I weigh 16 stone 3lb. I would like to be 15 something by the time of the op next Friday.

Back