• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A timely reminder... be warned this is long!

To be honest my stomach has improved since the operation but that's possibly down to the fact it's not processing as much food.
I've got chronic inertia which means I don't go to the loo without, "assistance" and have to flush chemicals through a hole in my tummy so the constipation etc they warn you about doesn't bother me.
I find it lots easier to make the right food choices so that possibly helps my tummy too.
I really do hope it helps you hun.
xx

To be honest my stomach has improved since the operation but that's possibly down to the fact it's not processing as much food.
I've got chronic inertia which means I don't go to the loo without, "assistance" and have to flush chemicals through a hole in my tummy so the constipation etc they warn you about doesn't bother me.
I find it lots easier to make the right food choices so that possibly helps my tummy too.
I really do hope it helps you hun.
xx

that was what i was hoping. Now that i know how good 'proper' food with gluten tastes, it is so horrible to have to choose to have gluten free when it tastes soooo bad!!!! Atleast i will not be able to have bread and pasta and cakes etc after my op.

second day of 'my' milk diet. Had milky coffee and a pear for breakfast. I am suprised at how little hunger i am having, seeing as i really do not like milk! :D

Have got some SF jelly which i am going to make in a min for lunch. Jelly for lunch sounds like something my kids would love to do! I find when i am busy at work the time flies by and i dont think about food, so trying to stay as busy as possible!

You have a fantastic story, and are lucky to have your wife and kids around that love you.

Good luck for the operation, I am sure that it will go well and do keep us informed.

Right so yesterday I went for my pre op. on the drive there it suddenly felt incredibly real but I was quite excited, then I went though the have I really just paid all that money and could I not have just been stricter on a diet. Once there I felt more reassured.

Had a lovely nurse called Sarah and she answered all my weird and wonderful questions. I was there about an hour. I didn't have to have an ECG, she said that it is only normally older women with high blood pressure that have to have them. Did think it was strange that they don't screen everyone. Had bloods taken, urine test, which as she said was a great start as I had blood and protein in my wee! She did assure me that it would not effect my op taking place next week and that they would probably just put me on antibiotics in case there is any infection.

I am very happy that I will not have to take out most of my piercings, was not looking forward to putting retainers in some, however silly it might be, it can be really fiddly and I know I would have wound myself up with it all and started the whole build up in a bad mood.

Not being stuck up in any way but I was quite taken a back with the state of the ward etc. the staff were really lovely. Sarah said that up until about 3 years ago the ward was exclusively private, now they just fill up the beds with anyone and they may only have 2 or3 private patients at a time. The ward was really dated, there is a no child rule at any time and facilities REALLY basic, definitely not what I have been used to on previous private hospital stays. Very glad that I will not be eating there as the food looked terrible, smelt worse! There also seemed to be a lot of elderly patients on the ward who looked very ill. I had to have my pre op in their stock cupboard and so nurses were continually coming in and out. They were all commenting that several of these patients were always calling and so needing almost 1:1 nursing. I have total empathy with them and their family but I am really wanting to be up and about ASAP, however I will need support to get in and out of bed etc and help with some personal care at the beginning at least. Did leave thinking that I am not totally sure how much support I will get. I hate being seen as a pain and know that I will then try and do it on my own if I see that the nurses are rushing around. I suppose we will just have to wait and see what happens next week.

The nurses had no real understanding of the bypass which did alarm me, when I asked about pain relief due to a paracetamol allergy she said about taking ibuprofen, when I questioned whether I could take it after the op she just assumed it was due to the allergy. When I said that I didn't think I could have it she was a bit uncertain. Did say she would speak to the anaesthetist before I come in.

I a glad I k ow the way and have a picture in my head of where I am going to be. Not sure how much of the £9000 charge is going to the hospital but I suppose it is just a bed on the ward that I will be using for most of the time.

They were really pleased with my weight loss since seeing the consultant and fingers crossed all will go well for the final count down. I have completed 5 days of the milk diet this week and found it to be ok. Having a bit of a relax over the weekend as it is my wife's birthday on Monday and we went out for a meal last night. Back to milk on Monday.

Hi chic,

so your well on you journey now!! I can understand that it's unnerving with the nurses not being very sure about your op, but they will be guided by the surgical team of doctors, so you won't be given anything that hasn't already been prescribed by them.

I can understand though that when you are spending so much money you would like to think they are a little more experienced, but you'll be fine!!

Not long now Hun!!

Take care
A x

Well we went out with a good friend for lunch, I did my best to be good and not over do things. Had chicken and salad. Was totally full and satisfied and happily let the others eat their puddings without craving one. Just 4 days left now. Have to think about packing my bag, think I have everything now, just need to make sure it is all up together.

My wife asked today if I really had to go through with it. I replied that no I didn't have to but that I really wanted too. I know it will be hard for her coping with looking after the children and an even more time consuming wife than normal but in the long run it will be worth it. Have an incredibly busy week at work, need to catch up with paperwork on Monday, training all day Tuesday and collecting a girl being released from prison in Southampton on Wednesday. Thursday I am off to spend with my wife and Friday is d day. Before I know it I will be out for the count and waking up with a fresh start. Can't wait!

Well, I have now finished work in preparation for my op. can't sleep to tonight, not totally sureness why, but I can now officially say, my op is tomorrow! OMG!!!!!!!!

I have been quite calm this week, helped by being incredibly busy at work and having to finish late most days. Although this has helped with my pre op diet. Not sure what I will have lost, not expecting to have lost much but I suppose every lb is one less afterwards?

My wife is really nervous of me having the bypass, I suppose I have had a fair few ops and that part does not bother me so much. I worry about managing the pain afterwards due to my fibro.

Had a telephone appt with dr today after she requested to speak to me after my bloods that were taken 2 weeks ago by her. Sh has said that a fair few of them have come back showing some concerns, particularly my iron. She is not in favour of my op but understands why I am doing it. She has basically said she would have re taken all my bloods and started exploratory questions about the possibility of me having ME this week but will now hold off till I am feeling more human. This has worried me far more. Although it does explain much more about my health and energy levels.

Well, to day I have 2 extra children home thanks to polling at their school so I am planning a lazy day with my wife and. The four of them. I need to pack my bag and make sure I have all my liquid prescription drugs sorted. Now becoming very real!

Good luck!!!!

You have a lot to worry over at the moment (((hugs))) I hope everything turns out better than it feels it will at the moment.

My boys school is a polling station too. So they are both off school too. Then the 3 year old is off tomorrow too as the nursery roof needs mending.

So I am taking them with me to the community centre I volunteer at. They are going to help in the community garden and at community lunch. They are excited bless 'em lol xxx

Hope it stays dry for you all Fuffs! What do you volunteer doing? You are an incredible woman and so giving of yourself.

Sar2567 said:
Hope it stays dry for you all Fuffs! What do you volunteer doing? You are an incredible woman and so giving of yourself.

It's a mardy weather day in Brum today. I just do whatever they need me to do. My partner does the gardening here. I also volunteer at stay and play. I am self employed with it not going well. So I am grateful to have things to do lol. But you are very sweet and say lovely things to me. Did you find me on Facebook in the end?

Omg!!!! I need everyone to think positive thoughts. Just had a message to call the hospital about my admission tomorrow. I called and they said we don't want you to worry but we may have to cancel, a problem with an anaesthetist apparently! They ate going to ring later and let me know if they have managed to sort something out! They have apologised but I daren't tell my wife, if they could just imagine how much work it has taken to cover child care for 7 children in a series of different places, having to cover over night also as not sure what time bec will get back as it is a 2 hr journey home. I feel physically sick.

Please please please let it all go ahead tomorrow!

No fuffs, I haven't signed on with a computer yet!

Sar2567 said:
Omg!!!! I need everyone to think positive thoughts. Just had a message to call the hospital about my admission tomorrow. I called and they said we don't want you to worry but we may have to cancel, a problem with an anaesthetist apparently! They ate going to ring later and let me know if they have managed to sort something out! They have apologised but I daren't tell my wife, if they could just imagine how much work it has taken to cover child care for 7 children in a series of different places, having to cover over night also as not sure what time bec will get back as it is a 2 hr journey home. I feel physically sick.

Please please please let it all go ahead tomorrow!

Oh no!!! Fingers crossed Shell (((hugs))) xxx

Just heard, still waiting for an aesthetist from the Shrewsbury who is on a course until 5 and then I will find out if all go, started to pack and then stopped! Positive thoughts!

Sar2567 said:
Just heard, still waiting for an aesthetist from the Shrewsbury who is on a course until 5 and then I will find out if all go, started to pack and then stopped! Positive thoughts!

Sending all the positive energy I can muster! Xxx

crossed fingers for you here hun

Prayers for it to go ahead, so much sorting out allready been done it would be terrible and very dsiheartening, lets stay positive and it will happen. Good luck for your op tomorrow thats the first positive comment. xx

Thanks everyone, now looks like I will be going to the spire little Aston hospital. Same surgeon but different anaesthetist. But still waiting to confirm. They want me there for 9am rather than the 11am we were planning. Not sure what we will be able to do about getting children to 4 different places between 8.30 and 9 then. They have asked what time we could be there and have said 10:15am he wants to operate at 12. Will find out an update when they call again.

Sar2567 said:
Thanks everyone, now looks like I will be going to the spire little Aston hospital. Same surgeon but different anaesthetist. But still waiting to confirm. They want me there for 9am rather than the 11am we were planning. Not sure what we will be able to do about getting children to 4 different places between 8.30 and 9 then. They have asked what time we could be there and have said 10:15am he wants to operate at 12. Will find out an update when they call again.

Sounds promising though! :D

Back