• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A very shy hi

Ali m

Hi
I'm 15 weeks into stage 3 intensive weight loss program with Addenbrookes.
I did 9 weeks on 3 1/2 pints of semi skimmed milk (extra week because of Christmas).
I'm on week 6 and now on 600 cals of food and 450 milk.
I've lost, so far, 3st 1lb but get weighed again tomorrow.
I'm worried that there'll say at the end of the course that I've done so well I don't need the surgery which will leave me exactly where I've been every other time I've lost weight.
Has this happened to anybody?

Hi Ali and welcome!

Wow that does sound intensive and really hard core! Especially doing the milk diet over christmas!

Well done on your weight loss so far, that must feel great! Obviously I don't know specifically about adenbrokes but I was worried about losing weight and no longer being suelrgery eligible on the NHS if my BMI dropped below the cut off - but it went on the referral BMI not the actual level. Also, my problem was I could lose 2-3!stone each year, but couldn't keep it off so I was in the same cycle each year!

I would hope that this loss etc will be seen in a positive way that you will be healthier for surgery and also more able to control food post surgery.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer who had been through it.

Good luck and keep us posted with your weight loss surgery journey.

Hi
I'm 15 weeks into stage 3 intensive weight loss program with Addenbrookes.
I did 9 weeks on 3 1/2 pints of semi skimmed milk (extra week because of Christmas).
I'm on week 6 and now on 600 cals of food and 450 milk.
I've lost, so far, 3st 1lb but get weighed again tomorrow.
I'm worried that there'll say at the end of the course that I've done so well I don't need the surgery which will leave me exactly where I've been every other time I've lost weight.
Has this happened to anybody?
I have never heard of the intensive weight plan you are on u r doing amazing I have tried so hard to lost weight and have daily injections to try and help lose weight but no joy I need to lose weight more quickly or when I go back march 21st am worried he won't refer me any further on for surgery x

Hi,
I am new to posting on this site too though I have been reading on here for a while.

I am also on the intensive weight management program with addenbrookes but am a fair way behind you as only now technically just reached week 3 of the first 8 week milk diet. I had a medical issue which meant I had to have a 2 week break inbetween which has made it that much harder to get back into the swing of things.

Really finding it hard to find support groups and didn't actually think this one was still being posted on but I was wrong!

I have 5 weeks left on my 4 pints of milk, 2.5 litres of liquid, 1 vitamin, 1 fybrogel and 1 portion on stock. I cant stand oxo so I am having a different one that I love.

I have had the same worry regarding loosing too much, though its not stopping me from trying still concerned that ill loose, they say no then I put it on again....

I am so head hungry, I think I can handle tummy hungry way easier! x

Hi @LuisaM and welcome to the forum.

I am full of admiration for you guys going through this plan - 8 weeks on the milk diet! Wow!

Hopefully you will be able to support each other on the specifics, but please post how you are getting on - start a diary of your own - and we can support you as well!

Hello and welcome to you both. I'm also in awe of you sticking with the milk diet for so long. I hope your team are available to answer your questions. I think a lot of us can relate to losing the weight but not keeping it off so I can understand your fear. Good luck x

Thanks everyone!
I appreciate your support, made my day reading your replies...
I've been weighed today and I've lost another 7lb's!
3st 9lb's altogether in 15 weeks so I'm delighted and feel great.
I was told today that they can't see any reason why I wouldn't be referred as my weight, Bmi and health issues still meet the criterias. Obviously it will be decided at the end of the 25 weeks after they've had a meeting etc. I'll be sent to support groups and receive help in other areas too so my mind was put at ease.
It's not because I crave for the surgery, I just want/need something that's more permanent. I'm in my 50's now and so I feel like it's make or break!
I've thrown every bit of determination and will power I have into this but it is very hard. It's much harder then a 'normal' diet but I do feel very proud of myself and light!
At the end of the day, like you all say, it's the 'keeping it off' that's the difficult part, we all know the cycle that we get into.
Luisa keep at it! The 'milk diet' became my best friend in that 9 weeks and prepared me for the past few weeks and the coming weeks ahead. I didn't even like milk before but boy does it do the trick when you need nourishment.
I think I will always use a good old pint of milk as a substitute for a meal if I'm in a situation where I can't have a healthy meal instead of a quick fix chocolate bar and bag of crisps
ive never used a forum like this before so I'm a real learner but it's great to talk & share. Thank you.

Hi and welcome - don't be shy! I don't have any experience of Addenbrookes, but personally I see no reason why they would refuse you for surgery, especially since you still meet the criteria. Most of us can handle being on a diet for a month or so - it is being able to stick to it that is impossible, and where we need help. If anything, I think your great results and hard work will speak in your favour, because it shows your determination and that you are willing to put in the hard work that is required for a surgery to be successful.

Hi Alim, welcome to the forum, HUGE congratulations on you fantastic weight loss so far, I'm another who can relate to the vicious circle of lose and gain, I have found everyone on here to be really friendly, helpful, supportive and encouraging and I'm sure you will too, I also agree it would be a good idea to start your own diary, it's good to look back on, good luck and keep us posted Xx

OMG you are so amazing !!
I don't know if I could have ever kept to a milk diet for that amount of time.
I was so lucky with my Bariatric team..
Just 14 days on a low carb pre op LSD and then surgery..
Im now waiting for a revision surgery as I have lost all restriction and have no sensitivity to fat or sugar .
I'm one of Bariatric surgeries anomalies I think lol.

the team you are under will be well versed with the difficulty in maintaining weight loss etc.
The diet youre on is to get you into a good routine of smaller portions and to show your commitment to the whole Bariatric surgery process..

I wouldn't worry about them thinking you can do it on your own ..
Good luck with the rest of the diet and fingers crossed you get your surgery approved very soon x X

Hi Alim how are you getting on ? X

Hi Alim how are you getting on ? X
Hi
So far at last weigh in 1 1/2 weeks ago I'd lost 4st. I get weighed again on Tuesday.

I'm now nearly half way through phase 3 of the program and they have said that they see no reason why I won't be referred for surgery as I still meet the criterias.

I think they said they'd be speaking to me more about that at next visit but in the mean time they gave me some web addresses to research the surgery.

I've lost a lot of weight and it's already life changing for me as I'm not in pain anymore when I walk and stand and I look much better ( I did not recognise myself when I looked in the mirror).

I'm not very good at these forum thingys, I'm a bit over whelmed with the whole 'where to look' thing. I will have to make more time for it as it's really helpful just writing this!

Thank you for asking and perhaps people such as yourself could tell me about your/their journey...?

Alison X

Hi .. I'm a bit late to this thread but OMG ! I am in total awe of anyone who can stick to that diet for longer than 2 weeks ! Now that shows true grit and willpower .. also makes you realise that our bodies do not need the food we put in them ..
your truly amazing and I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey ..
xxxx

Hi
So far at last weigh in 1 1/2 weeks ago I'd lost 4st. I get weighed again on Tuesday.

I'm now nearly half way through phase 3 of the program and they have said that they see no reason why I won't be referred for surgery as I still meet the criterias.

I think they said they'd be speaking to me more about that at next visit but in the mean time they gave me some web addresses to research the surgery.

I've lost a lot of weight and it's already life changing for me as I'm not in pain anymore when I walk and stand and I look much better ( I did not recognise myself when I looked in the mirror).

I'm not very good at these forum thingys, I'm a bit over whelmed with the whole 'where to look' thing. I will have to make more time for it as it's really helpful just writing this!

Thank you for asking and perhaps people such as yourself could tell me about your/their journey...?

Alison X
Hi Ali, it can be a little daunting to start with but you do tend to learn as you go and it really does help to write things down, if you can try to set some time aside to have a look around it will help,
My diary is call:- The long journey to become half the women I am. Which is in the pre op diary section, there is also a small thread in the introduce yourself section, look out for bling babe.
Just briefly, I am with Luton and Dunstable, I have to be assessed on tier 3 for 1 year which is up in June, my surgery (if I am accepted for it) could be up to a year after that (hence the long journey) I had to do 4 weeks of milk diet last June, this is to prove commitment, show you can tolerate a high protein diet and help you lose 5% of body weight which you have to lose in order to continue the assessment, I lost 8kg on that (7% of my body weight) and have continued to lose a total of 15kg, I have yo yo dieted all my life and I'm now really struggling to maintain my loss, I would never be able to keep this up long term it is only the pull of surgery that gets me through each day (sorry not very brief)
You have continued to do amazingly well and it's great that your feeling the benefit of your huge loss.
Try to keep in touch x

Hi Ali, I did my tier 3 with Addenbrookes. One of the biggest highlights of my journey from start to finish was all the team treated me with sympathy and respect and understood where I was coming from. I am sure that so many of you have in the past been treated the same by any doctor when visiting for any other reason, I was belittled and humiliated for being overweight being told that was the reason I was ill and was always told to go on a diet. To find someone who would listen and understand our obesity was a godsend and I will be forever grateful. I too had to carry out the six month programme. I was told to have 5 pints , of semi-skimmed milk per day plus an OXO cube. I could only manage 4 pints (this included some of my quota being used to make desserts or something more solid than milk with sugar free jellies), the OXO I had in two portions as it was too strong, that was the bit I found the most difficult, I did enquire what it was for and was told it was for the salt content. It was not until the end of that 8 weeks I asked if instead we could have a salt tablet and was told that I could, I would have much preferred that. As far as the milk diet is concerned it was the easiest eating plan I have been on, ever. Like you the next eight weeks I had to have milk and food (recipes of low calorie meals were provided and i found them excellent) for the last 8 weeks it was food only. I lost a total of 4.5 stone. I can't praise the staff enough, all of them were so pleasant when I had to visit and be weighed every two weeks. I was also put on Orlistat, it didn't help as keeping to the diet they gave me I did not have the excess fat in my body, I was also asked to inject myself in my tummy every day to reduce the sugar my body made, mainly because I had type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, at that time Addenbrookes did not carry out bariatric surgery but were thinking of doing it in the future, please tell me if they are now doing it. I had to choose a hospital and it was between UCLH in London or Luton & Dunstable. Not being keen on London and no parking available at UCLH, was not an option as I was unable to walk, so Luton it was. I had to reapply for funding again to go to Luton, which thankfully was agreed. I was also worried that having lost so much weight I would not be accepted for surgery. I started at 31 stone, lost six stone before surgery. I finished at Addenbrookes end of September 2014, first appointment with Luton in November, surgery in April 2015, after having a number of appointments with them. I put on a lot of weight over Christmas, enjoyed my last Christmas being obese, but had lost it within the next month. Luton were happy that I had control of my eating. The team at Luton were also exceptional, this was my view.

I am nearly two years post op and 11stone down, stalling at the moment. I am OK with that. Losing this weight has given me my independence back, I was so reliant on my husband for almost everything, I am walking instead of using a mobility scooter, however not back to full health due to problems with arthritis in my spine, legs and feet. This journey has not been easy, it is not an easy option out as so many thinner people think, I can assure you. I often wonder whether I would go through all of this again, the milk diet was so easy for me to stick to, I think perhaps that would have been the better option. Then I come back down to reality and realise I have got my life back albeit it limited and I am now looking forward to losing a bit more, another five stone perhaps. I do worry about the loose skin, but as my husband said you are better off being mobile with empty skin than not being able to walk with full skin.

I am off my blood pressure tablets, reduced my diabetes tablets by half and feel a lot better in myself. I have had to learn to eat again, that has been hard. I also miss being able to have a good swig of water, I can only sip and I love my water, would I do it all again, yes I would, I am looking forward to the rest of my life, one day I will be able to walk into Matalans and buy something off the shelf.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Sorry for the long post, I read more on here than I write, but felt I had to reassure you that you are on the right path having being with Addenbrookes myself.

Last edited:
Hi

Alison X
Hi Ali
How are you my lovely have you finished the milk diet yet ? X

I am amazed at how well you are doing. I am struggling on the four week milk diet - the last time I had surgery it was a vlcd instead. I think you have done fantastic in this time and shows how committed you are.

Hi

Thank you so much for your story! Was great to hear from you.
I had my last weigh in today at addenbrookes and have completed the 6 month program.
I've lost 4st 10lb and was told they are referring me for surgery! Yay!! Really pleased.
Going to Luton & Dunstable hospital for the same reasons as you, the parking.
The nurse told me today that my doctor won't have to apply for funding first but am a little worried that she's got that wrong!?
Addenbrookes still don't do the surgery by the way.
It's strange but I'm going to miss going to addenbrookes every 2 weeks, it's been a very positive experience and the weight loss so far has been life changing.
I've gone from a size 28 to 18 and am pain free and like you, got my independence back, wonderful!
I'm looking forward to the future and feeling wonderful!
I have another 6 stone to lose to get me to the 10 stone I realistically need to be at, at least!
I'm hoping it won't be a stupid amount of time before I even get an appointment but I've learnt to be patient.
Thanks again and I will try to check this forum more regularly.

Back