• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A watched waiting list never boils

I finally heard back, the surgical management team have said its May 2013 now I was on the list in June 2012. But then this morning I got a call to say I'm near the top of the list and my notes have been sent on. Now I'm scared to death!!!! Am I really doing the right thing!!!

I finally heard back, the surgical management team have said its May 2013 now I was on the list in June 2012. But then this morning I got a call to say I'm near the top of the list and my notes have been sent on. Now I'm scared to death!!!! Am I really doing the right thing!!!

Have you heard back with a date yet?

So after a week or so of chasing people I've now been told that although they said on 11th Feb my notes had been passed to the Nuffield (to get the NHS waiting lists down) and my surgery date would be any day... that is no longer the case and today I was told by derby that the Nuffield don't have capacity and by Nuffield that derby want to now do it on the NHS. Upshot is I am once again back on the waiting list and looking at May. I would say anyone starting out on this to really think whether you can mentally handle the roller coaster, I feel absolutely gutted and dejected at this point. The staff have absolutely no compassion for the situation you are in. Any confidence or hope I had at the outset of this in March 2011 is completely gone.....

Hi pemhead. Sorry to hear about your journey. It is a roller coaster and its so hard keeping your weight down during the process. It will come around really quickly, stick with it x

Thanks, I'm actually considering whether I want to carry on, I know it's because emotions are high, but honestly I'm not sure I can take much more of it. They make you feel completely worthless. Thanks for the kind words though :)

Hi pemhead
I am also on the waiting list with derby and was told I would be having surgery at the Nuffield but found out yesterday that this may no longer be the case!!!
I think they should have sorted all this out before giving people dates, to later let them down!!!
I feel like I can not get on with my life and they don't seem to care :-(

They honestly don't care, we are just a hindrance to them... You can't get on with life at all can you everything is on hold, I could sit and weep tonight and yet when they told me I was going to be done soon I was so happy, it's incredibly cruel and undignified x

Get PALS involved and keep pestering them. They should not be telling you one thing and then changing their minds. You could also write a letter of complaint to the hospitals chief exec. That should put the wind up their sails.

I used to pester them on a weekly basis. I'm sure they just have me a date just to shut me up!

I can't get on with my life as I was offered a job on the week of the phone call from derby hospital saying it was going to be in a couple of weeks. This meant I had turn the job down until after surgery, as I could not take a long time of sick.
I have been considering contacting PALS as I don't think it's right what they are doing!!
Nuffield told me to contact them back if I do not have a letter be Friday and you can guarantee that I will be on the phone first thing Friday morning!!
I know where your coming from pemhead in wanting to give up, but stay strong I am sure we will get a date soon!! :)

So after a week or so of chasing people I've now been told that although they said on 11th Feb my notes had been passed to the Nuffield (to get the NHS waiting lists down) and my surgery date would be any day... that is no longer the case and today I was told by derby that the Nuffield don't have capacity and by Nuffield that derby want to now do it on the NHS. Upshot is I am once again back on the waiting list and looking at May. I would say anyone starting out on this to really think whether you can mentally handle the roller coaster, I feel absolutely gutted and dejected at this point. The staff have absolutely no compassion for the situation you are in. Any confidence or hope I had at the outset of this in March 2011 is completely gone.....

Sorry to hear you've been let down pemhead I know to well how the wait can make you feel :(

Can I ask how long you've been on the waiting list? What month was you put on it?

June last year, my first appointment was march 2011. I was told my op would be Oct, then Dec, then Jan, then May, then obvs feb/march now back to May again, but honestly now I don't think it'll happen.

That's awful about the job Sammy - I'll be amazed if you get a letter, but good luck x

June last year, my first appointment was march 2011. I was told my op would be Oct, then Dec, then Jan, then May, then obvs feb/march now back to May again, but honestly now I don't think it'll happen.

That's awful about the job Sammy - I'll be amazed if you get a letter, but good luck x

Don't give up hope it will happen. You really need to get PALS involved. That is a serious amount of messing about.

Get PALS involved and keep pestering them. They should not be telling you one thing and then changing their minds. You could also write a letter of complaint to the hospitals chief exec. That should put the wind up their sails.

I used to pester them on a weekly basis. I'm sure they just have me a date just to shut me up!

Thanks Paula, PALS already involved sadly they don't seem too interested either. Unfortunately they hold all of the power don't they. I'm exhausted by the whole process 'caring profession' mmm'??

Keep pestering them. That's what I did as they messed me about too. It honestly does work. You could also keep ringing the consultants secretary. Remind her pals are involved and mention your considering a letter of complaint to the hospital chief exec xx

Really tempted to ring Derby hospital to find out what they have to say, but don't want them to think I am pestering them!!! :-/

The best way is through the secretaries, they are the ones with the power. When I was coming up to 5 months wait I range at least weekly. It works!

I have rang them and she is hopefully gonna get some further information on what is happening with the Nuffield and my surgery!! Just waiting for a call back now!!

Back