• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

And so the journey begins........

GBforraz

Hi everyone, yesterday I went to my first group session. I was really nervous I didn't know what to expect but I'm glad I went. I got so much information and I really feel that I'm making the right decision for myself. I was able to ask questions such as things about funding and time frames. I really felt welcome at the group and brought along my husband and sister for support. I'm not sure about any of you but my husband sister and most of my family have been quite negative about the process. they think I should just try and lose weight by dieting and that I will be able to keep off the weight by going to the gym. My family don't understand that actually I have a problem with food.my problem is I can always seem to lose the weight when I get focused, but I can't keep it off that's why I made the decision to go for weight loss surgery. The nurse basically told me that because I meet the criteria I automatically qualify for funding. After going to the group I really realise that it's time to to make a move and start living my life I wish I had the money to pay for the surgery privately. Thanks for reading, it's so lonely for me right now as I've decided not to discuss this process with friends.

I'm glad it was such a positive experience :)
My husband's always supported me in part because it was my choice and because he knows how often and how hard I've tried for years and years on my own. No one else bar my best friend and my boss who I'm very close to know. My family would be a toxic combination of jealous and judgmental. I know because it's how they were when I had eating disorders in my teens. Not so bothered at helping me learn to eat again as they were bitching about how thin I was :rolleyes:
You make the decisions that are right for you. ;)

I'm glad it was such a positive experience :)
My husband's always supported me in part because it was my choice and because he knows how often and how hard I've tried for years and years on my own. No one else bar my best friend and my boss who I'm very close to know. My family would be a toxic combination of jealous and judgmental. I know because it's how they were when I had eating disorders in my teens. Not so bothered at helping me learn to eat again as they were bitching about how thin I was :rolleyes:
You make the decisions that are right for you. ;)

Thank you FeeBee, my husband and sister have said they will support me with this process. I think they were nervous about the op.
I understand what you mean about toxic & judgemental. Someone I met in the support group said to me, "you will lose friends and gain friends, when your not the fat friend anymore " I found that interesting. Now I need to decide sleeve or bypass?

Hi everyone, yesterday I went to my first group session. I was really nervous I didn't know what to expect but I'm glad I went. I got so much information and I really feel that I'm making the right decision for myself. I was able to ask questions such as things about funding and time frames. I really felt welcome at the group and brought along my husband and sister for support. I'm not sure about any of you but my husband sister and most of my family have been quite negative about the process. they think I should just try and lose weight by dieting and that I will be able to keep off the weight by going to the gym. My family don't understand that actually I have a problem with food.my problem is I can always seem to lose the weight when I get focused, but I can't keep it off that's why I made the decision to go for weight loss surgery. The nurse basically told me that because I meet the criteria I automatically qualify for funding. After going to the group I really realise that it's time to to make a move and start living my life I wish I had the money to pay for the surgery privately. Thanks for reading, it's so lonely for me right now as I've decided not to discuss this process with friends.
Welcome, my husband was shocked at the idea, but once he had looked into it he has been totally behind me. My father said he didn't even want to talk about it - so ha doesn't know I have gone ahead with the surgery. People are how they are - we have to make the decision that is right for us. Good luck.

Yep I have had lots of "well why don't you just focus more or try harder to lose weight?" And I have to explain about the vicious cycle of losing and gaining the same 3 stone over and over! I described it as a reset button to get me where I need to be and then the effort will go into maintaining that.

People who don't understand WLS will not understand how it works or why it is needed. My OH didn't want me to have the op due to the risks but once we spoke to someone who had had the op and read some info /researched it they started to understand the need and are now super supportive.

I recommend the book "WLS for dummies" it has a good intro about why we have got to this point and it describes exactly how I was feeling. When I read it I cried. It could have been me writing it! It also has info on the different ops and diagrams - it was useful when explaining to my parents. Also has some recipes and stuff as well.

Welcome, my husband was shocked at the idea, but once he had looked into it he has been totally behind me. My father said he didn't even want to talk about it - so ha doesn't know I have gone ahead with the surgery. People are how they are - we have to make the decision that is right for us. Good luck.
Thank you Penelope, it's a long road of change for me

Yep I have had lots of "well why don't you just focus more or try harder to lose weight?" And I have to explain about the vicious cycle of losing and gaining the same 3 stone over and over! I described it as a reset button to get me where I need to be and then the effort will go into maintaining that.

People who don't understand WLS will not understand how it works or why it is needed. My OH didn't want me to have the op due to the risks but once we spoke to someone who had had the op and read some info /researched it they started to understand the need and are now super supportive.

I recommend the book "WLS for dummies" it has a good intro about why we have got to this point and it describes exactly how I was feeling. When I read it I cried. It could have been me writing it! It also has info on the different ops and diagrams - it was useful when explaining to my parents. Also has some recipes and stuff as well.
Thank you Hannah2, when I read your first paragraph I almost cried, people just don't understand, I will look online for that book. Where are you on your wls journey?

Thank you Hannah2, when I read your first paragraph I almost cried, people just don't understand, I will look online for that book. Where are you on your wls journey?
Hi. I had my bypass on August 25th, so I am just over 3 weeks post bypass!

Are you accessing the site on your phone? If you turn your phone so the screen is landscape then you will see more details like peoples signatures and personal details on the left under their avatar pictures. It helps if people fill these in and update them as what a sleever does/recommends is not necessarily correct for a bypasser or bander etc. etc.. Also it helps to know how far on in their journey people are as most people have their operation date on their details.

I got the book from Amazon. I haven't read it cover to cover after the first sections but I have dipped into it.

You will find that quite often you will read things on here and think that it was just you that felt like that - it is a breath of fresh air to finally come into contact with other people who know exactly how you are feeling and completely understand (sometimes anyway!).

Hi. I had my bypass on August 25th, so I am just over 3 weeks post bypass!

Are you accessing the site on your phone? If you turn your phone so the screen is landscape then you will see more details like peoples signatures and personal details on the left under their avatar pictures. It helps if people fill these in and update them as what a sleever does/recommends is not necessarily correct for a bypasser or bander etc. etc.. Also it helps to know how far on in their journey people are as most people have their operation date on their details.

I got the book from Amazon. I haven't read it cover to cover after the first sections but I have dipped into it.

You will find that quite often you will read things on here and think that it was just you that felt like that - it is a breath of fresh air to finally come into contact with other people who know exactly how you are feeling and completely understand (sometimes anyway!).

Ohh I didn't realise, I could see more info if I change the phone to landscape. Thank you

Welcome. This is a fantastic place and I'm sure you'll get lots of support.
My husband has been amazingly supportive, my whole family have. It helps that my sister had a bypass last year so they've seen her flourish.
Good luck going forward.

Welcome. This is a fantastic place and I'm sure you'll get lots of support.
My husband has been amazingly supportive, my whole family have. It helps that my sister had a bypass last year so they've seen her flourish.
Good luck going forward.

Thank you, good luck with your surgery:)

Welcome and good luck, this really is a great place to read inspirational stories, get bucket loads of support and advice and to make friends x

Back