• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

paul's journey begins

paulH

I hope to record my not too complicated journey to weight-loss nirvana.
I had my first session with my practice nurse Carol and armed with a weeks worth of food diary that not required. She took my weight and height and then handed me a slimming-world on referral form for my SW consultant and then told me too lose 1- 1/2 st or 10kg in the 12 weeks.
Then Carol got down to the nitty-gritty and the terms and conditions she told me that I had to complete the 12 week course which is a tier 3,weight loss management course and achieve the required weight-loss and book an appointment to see the doctor at 10 weeks so the he can refer me on for bariatric surgery as discussed.
she did tell me that i am a guinea pig as to how they are going to doing tier 3 now in the GP practices in our ccg area and everyone will have to do a 12 course before WLS can be referred.
Also as Carol is also my dressing nurse, she has been informally chatting about slimming world in general as she is a member as well and it is a bit of mutual support as we always ask how each other has done.
paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. I didn't go through the NHS but I'm sure the others who have will be on shortly with lot's of helpful advice :)

Welcome Paul !

Hi Paul.

Welcome to the Forum.

I too am going through the NHS route although mine has had less formal names for what I have attended and all have been one to one. Lots of hoops to jump through though. Interested that it is your CCG that dictates what you do. I was referred directly to hospital from my GP when I asked for a referral, which is in a different CCG area to my GP practice and everything has been done there.

I am on waiting list now for a sleeve but it has taken 15 months to get here and a lot of commitment and patience.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing how your journey is going.

Sam

Hi Paul and welcome to the forums.

I'm going through NHS too and I also am doing a weigh management course which is usually 12 weeks, I've only got to do half of it this time as I've completed the full course before but 4 years ago. The course is called Shape Your Weight in my area but I've seen other names for it too.

We're at a fairly similar stage. What area are you? I'm West/South Yorkshire (right on the border haha).

Kaye xx

Hi all
since ccg's have taken over control of the purse strings the services will be different for each area. I also have the option to do the mytimeactive from the local hospital (QA PORTSMOUTH) as well which I think is what others have been on but I said in my earlier post I am being used as a bit of a guinea pig as they are trying to cut cost by weeding out the non-committed as I been told that I have to complete the 12 week course to proceed or i will not get a second chance

PS My area is Portsmouth so either I have the option of Southampton or Chichester as I am same distance from both and I think also Portsmouth spire as well but I may be wrong on that point.

Last edited:
I had my band done at spire Southampton Paul .. It was lovely and friendly ..
What are you having done or don't you know yet ?

I had my band done at spire Southampton Paul .. It was lovely and friendly ..
What are you having done or don't you know yet ?

Hi there
I have not thought that far ahead yet but if I get a choice it will be between Chichester or Southampton with Southampton being in the lead on wait times and another point is which type of surgery is going to best for me as I can lose weight but I can put it on just as quick I lost 11 stone 4 years ago but I have put 8 stone back on since then as well all ups and downs of little weight gains and losses in the mean time. I think a full by pass may be best as I know that I cannot go back to old ways.

Hi Paul. Welcome to the forum, best of luck on your tier 3 ourney and beyond xx

Hi Paul,
Good luck with tier 3. Everyone on here will give you lots of advice. I did my tier 3 at Chichester Jan - Jun 2015 but was told there was a years wait for the op. I took the risk and had my gp refer my tier 4 to QA portsmouths hospital and 6 months later I had my bypass, I'm 3 months post op now. I can't praise this hospital enough.
I'm from down Eastbourne way so everyone gets referred to Chichester that's our nearest bariatric hospital, so such a big waiting list. It might have changed in the last year. Let's hope.

Don't get me wrong I think QA hospital is great in ways but bad in others too small an AE Dept.. too few beds too big a hospital in one place
but just having the courtesy of spending 2 weeks at Southampton Gen and 1 week at QA due to motor accident i will choose QA any day of the week great staff much better organized and for a hospital good well cooked food.

Hi Paul and welcome to the forums.

I'm going through NHS too and I also am doing a weigh management course which is usually 12 weeks, I've only got to do half of it this time as I've completed the full course before but 4 years ago. The course is called Shape Your Weight in my area but I've seen other names for it too.

We're at a fairly similar stage. What area are you? I'm West/South Yorkshire (right on the border haha).

Kaye xx
Hi Kaylo

I am North/West Yorkshire border so am being seen at St James in Leeds. What hospital are you at?

Hi Kaylo

I am North/West Yorkshire border so am being seen at St James in Leeds. What hospital are you at?

I'm not sure yet Sam, could be Sheffield could be Leeds. My GP wasn't sure either! My sister had to go to Hull, really sort of hoping I don't have to... Although I would if it was necessary. :)

Hi Paul and good luck with tier 3 :)

Well done ! Good weight loss there !

Brilliant! Well done Paul! :winner:

Back