• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

….And So the Journey Begins

melarnz

I have recently taken the decision to have bariatric surgery.

At 22 stone and 5'3'' I am seriously overweight. I have however, kidded myself for years that I am a 'healthy' fat person. Don't gets me wrong, like most people with a weight issue, I have tried pretty much everything (from diets to hypo gastric bands and counselling) however, as i don't have any of the normal issues associated with being morbidly obese (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea), I never really took it seriously. I just went along with life, buying bigger clothes and NEVER looking in the mirror. Ignorance is bliss.

Then just before xmas, I was walking to work, and I turned my ankle. I ended up being on crutches all over xmas. It was awesome! no cooking or cleaning up xmas dinner, It thought it was great! However, last month I did the same thing to my other ankle. My body has finally started to give in. It just can not cope with the amount of excess weight it carries around; and at 35 years old, it has done a bloody good job.

I then started to think about my children, and all of the things I pass up because I'm too fat (like rides at chessington, or overseas holidays because of the size of the plane seats). I now realise that I was just kidding myself that I was happy and I'm 'ok' with being like i am. I'm not!

So, after a lot of research, thinking, for and against lists, I've decided to have a gastric sleeve.

Im at a massive turning point in my life, and everything I knew a month ago, has changed.

I got made redundant from a job I was in for 12 years 2 days ago, and I'm going to use the redundancy money to make my life better.

Yesterday I went to see Mr Patel. He works out of several private hospitals, but I'm going to have my surgery done at Kings College Hospital in London.

I have emailed his PA and Im waiting for a reply. Hopefully have my op on 31st May or early june. eeeeekkk!!!

Hi and welcome to the forum

Like you I had none of the other co-morbidities and hid my head in the sand. But I did notice things that needn't ache starting to ache etc etc.

I also realised how much I have missed out on with my son.

I had my bypass in Feb 2013. In August of this year my son and I are going for a 2 week activity holiday in Europe - something that would not have been possible post-op.

My son takes his GCSE's in 2015, A'Levels in 2017 and is then hoping to go to university. Pre-op I had knew that I may not live to much longer than that and it was the fear of that which made me break down in the nurses office at my GP's. Now I am planning how I am going to live my life once he spreads his wings - as the world will be my oyster

xx

I am trying to process the information my surgeon as given me, and there are a few differences between his care, and others I have seen. 1 - he doesn't require me to go on a pre op diet. He said he would rather me be strong and fit than have a reduced liver size. He told me 'I'm also a liver surgeon, if the liver is I'm the way I will just move it'.

2- there are no further meetings with anyone before surgery. He said I can see I dietician, but it will cost ect, and he is sure with all the diets I have done, I know how to eat healthy

3- his price is £7500.

This surgeon was recommended to me, and he operates out of kings college. I'm now trying to process the little niggles I have. Like aftercare!

Hi,

Welcome! I'm having a band at the beginning of May. Some things you wrote rang a few bells with me too - thinking your a 'healthy' fat person, buying big clothes but 'you're not bothered'. You're right, ignorance is bliss! I also tried hypnotherapy, cambridge diet, slimming pills, personal trainer, slimming world x3, WW x2. Enoughs enough now though, on to brighter and happier things, with some control. I need control. Or a gag! :)

Heres to the new us x

Chin Chin to that Mrs Duck!!!

I've decided that I'm going back to SW on Tuesday. As I do not have to do a pre op diet, I figure my best chance of a good recovery is to put healthy fresh food in my body as long as possible before my op. It's not really to lose weight (although that would be good, because then the sleeve will hopefully get me down to a lower weight) it's because I can literally feel the build up of toxins in my body from all the crap food I've been eating lately!

My kidneys hurt with the amount if artificial sweetener I've had, and I have been walking my girls to school lately, and it absolutely kills my back! It's a total of 1.6 miles (there and back), which is really not far! But if I do that twice a day that's increasing my activity to 3 miles more a day than a i did before! I've been sitting at a desk for the last 12 years, my body has probably gone into shock lol.

I downloaded the 'mapmywalk' app. It calculated that because of my weight, I burn 400 a trip. So aching back or not. It's worth doing the school run on foot.

I'm still not sure when I'm going to have my op. I have emailed the consultants PA but she hasn't got back to me yet. I've tried to call her, but nothing yet.

Good luck on your journey. Had my sleeve at Kings on NHS but under a different surgeon , Dr Chang in Dec 2013. Like you had no co-morbities but felt the time was right. Has been one of the best things I've done and very strange seeing your body change as always been large. You'll find lots of support here.

Hi and welcome

We were similar starting weights/height I too paid for my op as I had no other issues either (I had a bypass) in November last year, I am now 6st lighter and so so so much happier I no longer hide away I am out and about, over the last 2 days we decorated the lounge before I'd let my fella get on with it, not this time I was bending scrubbing skirtings and stretching painting walls :)

Hi. I had my band on Monday so only 5 days post op.Good luck with your final decision.Ive def made the right choice.I went private and did cheat a wee bit on per op diet but surgeon said my liver looked good.This forum has been a god send the last few months.Look forward to hearing about your journey x

hi and welcome i personally would be worried that he didnt want me to see anyone else pre op from experience and from what i have read on other peoples threads the meetings with other people are invaluable but thats just me i guess each area/surgeons have their own agenda's as such good luck

Well today was an experience! Last august I went to my first festival. I really enjoyed the camping side and thought the kids would love it!!

So over the winter I have researched and collected everything I need to take the family camping. We are going on our first trip in 9 days. Hubby and I tried to put our tent up. It's windy, and we have no idea what we are doing! 5 arguments later the tent is back in the bag and we are both grump ing at each other.

Things I have leant today. Being overweight and physically unfit is not good for putting up a tent.

I now don't want to go camping lol!

Google the make of the tent see if you can find any tips/hints on making the process any easier, I know what you mean about the weight getting in the way.

It's a very strange sensation. Deciding to put yourself through major surgery. I feel scared and nervous. Funnily enough, I'm not so worry about the actual op, but more about being put to sleep and not waking up again! I kinda feel I can deal with the other stuff.

It's also exciting a major change in my life and I never even spent that much money on my wedding lol

congrats on booking the date and its normal to have some worries wouldnt be normal if you didnt

Well done on making the best decision.

Lots of your post rings true for me. No hypertension, or type 2 diabetes. But more recently I feel like i'm physically falling apart, aches and pains everywhere.

Good luck with joining SW I must admit I feel it is a very good healthy eating plan.

when I am at work we get a fair few patients who say they are scared of not waking up or waking up half way through the procedures.

I can honestly say there are so many people in the operating theatre to look after you and also machines that look at everything under the sun when you are asleep

It is a big decision putting yourself through major surgery but you will know in your heart what the right thing to do is, but think of the results and benifits long term on your health etc

Hi hun welcome to a fantastically friendly and supportive site wd on making the choice to change your life, its not easy but nothing worth having is lol wishing you all the very best on your journey xx x

Congrats on booking the date.. I've provisionally booked my date today too for the 3rd May. It's 50/50 on whether I have the band or sleeve at the minute but it looks like we'll be going through WLS together.

Exciting times ahead x

Back