• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

….And So the Journey Begins

After working since before I left school, I'm finding it odd not going to work everyday! (Got made redundant last week) I've even been struggling to know what the day is!

Don't get me wrong, I've been ultra busy, with the kids and sorting out everything for my (first ever) camping trip next week, but it's unusual not to have to do that commute on the motorway everyday. I find myself justifying to my husband what I'm doing everyday! Like I'm trying to prove in not lazy!

As is expected, I'm very nervous about the op. So I have decided to make a list which I will had to once a day. A list of something I want to be able to do when I am slim that I can't do at the moment.

- take my family to Disney Florida

Hi there

I am the same with being fat and healthy, I asked the nurse and the surgeon if they thought I was opening a can of worms having surgery when I was so healthy, they kindly reminded me that prevention is better then cure and that as my bmi is 52 and Im 46 I should really consider how I will be in the next 40 years if I stay this way.

I considered paying for this but just could never afford it, luckly they will fund me as big bmi.

I wish you all the very best on your journey.

Hopefully see you on the slim side x

Katy Hi and welcome hunni :) just don't leave it till its too late ..... i'm just turned 47 and poor health has completely lost me a whole lot of years lol I had always been big and healthy, swimming, badminton, running, cycling, aerobics ....... then a virus hit me in my 30's turned into ME/chronic fatigue, couldn't muster the energy to walk, stand or even wash the dishes!! the weight just piled on top of my already overweight body leaving my morbidly obese, then all the other health issues set in.......... had my band fitted via nhs 9 weeks ago and its already made a huge difference to my life :) grab the chance you wont regret it x x x x

Today's 'thing' to do once slim is -join an adult street dancing club. I'm clearly waisted throwing shapes in my kitchen

I love music and dancing, one thing I keep dreaming of is after surgery, when the new slimmer me can go dancing and not give a s--t what anyone thinks, and to be able to last the night, instead of feeling "too fat cant breath" after a few tunes !

A new emotion has snuck in today. Shame. I feel ashamed about getting the surgery. That I'm cheating and am just too glutenous to do it myself. I rejoined SW last night. I don't have to do a pre op, bit I want to start losing now, and try and be in as good health as possible.

Then a friend of mine made me feel like it was unfair for me to go, because I have a sleeve. I found myself explaining I won't be winning any awards I'll be staying under the radar as not to encourage anyone else but I want to go for the weekly weigh in and support.

Her complete silence said everything she was thinking. And made me feel like complete crap

Don't be too hard on yourself, I felt pretty rubbish that I couldn't do it myself.
But my surgeon explained that while surgery would help with 70% of the excess weight, the last 30% and maintenance would be down to me and like anyone else in the mainstream, with or without bariatric surgery. WLS is not the easy option, in fact it's a life changing decision - but that's the point - to change your life for the better.

My team are in Gatwick and they have been wonderful. I did do the liver shrinkage diet, but I also saw the Consultant, a psychiatrist and dietician before the op. I also had a gastroscopic procedure just to make sure my stomach was OK for the op.
You don't have to do all of that, but personally, I felt I had covered every base.

Congrats on your choice and here's to a happy and healthy future.

Good luck for your surgery, it'll come round really quickly, you will find that people are jealous, no matter how good a friend they are, it can still upset them if you're likely to do better than them. Surgery is not the easy way at all, its a huge decision and at the end of the day, when you have your sleeve, you still have to be careful with what you eat. Its not a miracle cure (unfortunately!!!!!)

I'm really lucky as I've been quite open about my surgery and people have all been really supportive. I got my date through today, so I'm having a bypass on 15th May in Derby. The only thing people keep asking is why am I going as drastic as having the bypass, why not the band. Either that or they just think I'm having the band as thats all they really know / hear about.

I have to do the pre-op diet for 3 weeks. I have to weigh out food and stick to a really strict diet, but it'll all be worth it on the day. Just waiting for the date of my pre-op assessment to come through now.

Good luck with your operation :) i am happy you are sharing your emotions and thoughts with all of us. :) it is good to see what people are going through... Relate to them.. And not feel like you are the only one like that in the world! I am sure you will get lots of support too if or when its needed :)

I have completely underestimated how hard it would be to look after my 2 young girls, my mum who is recovering from hip replacement and my sisters dog - all whilst trying to get ready for our camping trip next week!

I'm ready to pull my hair out!

The list so far (things to do when skinny)- take kids to disney Florida
- join adult street dancing group

Yesterday's and today's
- fly on a plane on holiday (last time had to ask for an extention belt. Won't go again!)
- take my girls swimming

I'm a hardened camper hun, you'll have a great time. Just go with the flow would be my advice. Were off to Northumberland next weekend, let's hope the weather stays nice for us. Take some playing cards! :)

I've got a new feeling too this weekend... Guilt! Guilty that I'm spending allllll this money on myself when my OH isn't seeing a penny of it. There's a million other ways we could spend the money (finishing the house, garden,holiday) etc. I just feel a bit selfish for persisting I go through with it, when really it's me that got myself like this in the first place, he shouldn't have to suffer the financial consequences.

Let us know how camping goes.. X

Ps- I went on a plane earlier this year and had to ask for a belt extension. Never again!!!!!! X

Mrs Duck - it's like we're twins lol.

I'm sorting out my camping gear today. And making a final list of what I need. I must say. I'm mainly doing it for the kids, I think it will be great for them. No tv for 5 days!! Whoop whoop!! It drives me crazy it being on all the time. I'm forever kicking my kids outside lol. They won't know whats hit them when I'm fit enough to play with them!

Really quite annoyed! Went to Matalan today. A HUGE store. However it seems fat people don't get a choice of clothes these days. Out of the hundreds of rails, I had 3 to look at! Black trousers, a couple of dodgy old woman's tops and a pair of black jeans. What a crock of poo!

I felt like that!
I didn't give the op a thought! I was convinced I either wouldn't wake up or he would find something sinister!!!
Really silly xxx
You'll be fine follow you pre op diet and lie back and think if England

Had the day from hell. But don't want to be too negative, so instead I'm going to add my next 'things I'm gonna do when I'm skinny' to the list. Today's is

- Ride a roller coaster

Previous
- fly on a plane without using the extention belt
- join an adult street dancing group
- take my girls to disney

Really quite annoyed! Went to Matalan today. A HUGE store. However it seems fat people don't get a choice of clothes these days. Out of the hundreds of rails, I had 3 to look at! Black trousers, a couple of dodgy old woman's tops and a pair of black jeans. What a crock of poo!
LOL i posted similar a couple of months back regarding Matalan ......... makes my blood boil .............. BUT remember these big girls are getting smaller :D watch out world here we come :eek:

have to say never bought clothes in matalan for me only for the hubby

Well what a crazy 3 weeks!

I've been camping with the kids and hubby. I can def say that being slimmer will def make that so much easier!! Especially in the tiny shower cubicles!!

I have booked my hospital parking space (for hubby) and my pre op. It's fast getting close.

I'm not going to lie, I feel pretty nervous!!

Back