• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any regrets?

I think it depends on where you are along your journey as to how you feel about it. This might surprise some of you but up to eight months out if I could have gone back to having normal guts I would have done

Its not that I regretted surgery I'm fairly sure I didn't, I just didn't like the rigmarole associated with post op life. The pre planning meals, the fluid intake and working that around six meals a day. The supplements etc, it was all just so much of a palaver I took a while to get into a routine, and I get bored of routines real quickly

I also think it takes a while for our psychology to catch up to the physiology, in that our minds still think like a fat person for a while. It used to kill me to not to be able to eat the foods I once loved like dear friends, and in the quantities I used to consume them. To see food left on my plate because I couldn't eat it made me feel very sad. I still wanted to load my plate to the volumes I was used to, but my eyes were bigger than my belly and that made me a little sad, I'm a food addict and my drug had been wrenched from me and I didn't like it

I don't know why I changed my outlook at eight months or so, I guess I'd lost twelve stone by then and I could do so many things I couldn't do pre op that I just realised chuff me this is better than killing myself with my own fork

Now I love my bypass. I love the new me even if I have issues with the excess skin and the wrinkles etc. I have little time for whinging negative moaners and try to be a positive person so I just look for the positives. I'm nearly two years out and without the operation my life expectancy was less than ten years. So with luck I've given myself a chance to still be here ten years from now that I wouldn't have had without it. That can't be bad right?

Should we be honest about our feelings well heck yes of course we should, but feelings change in time. I know some suffer complications post op and that's sad, but if they can be sorted they still impact our lives less than the comorbidities that being morbidly obese brings for most.

Should we be grateful for the surgery? you bet your life we should. We got ourselves huge no one force fed us we did it to ourselves, the surgeons give us a chance of a normal life, we should rejoice in that.

Great thread

Speaking from you heart as always Karlos and so glad you have your life back precious. :)

Love and hugs xxx

I started this thread because I am pre-op and want to know the full picture.

Yes I want the fantastic results I read on the vast majority of threads but I am under no illusions that this could still be a tough journey.

If you are post op, your honest "warts and all" answers are invaluable, so thank you xx :hug99:

Thank you Mandy... it's a reality... I have questioned myself intensely recently as to whether it's the right thing for me... it's taken me two years really to truly arrive at the point of making a decision... which is the best for me individually ... anyone else's journey and choice has to be for them. It's not easy.

I'm very pleased to have looked at all aspects and to have taken the time before my surgery, although I've also been through those stages of wanting to hurry it along, as many of us feel, it was enforced upon me to wait and it's been no bad thing to look at all options and avenues.

Thanks for sharing xxx

As a pre op I cannot comment..but nice to read the good the bad and the ugly...
The bigger question I think would be even if 100 people said they regretted surgery would that stop you going ahead and having surgery....???

My answer is no...I will still be having surgery..because like Karlos and Jacqui and Bev...I am wanting to live and regain my life and health back...
I really like this thread...

I agree Lisa... I'm expecting my life to change and it has to change if I want to live longer.

Plus I'm expecting all the ups, downs, in between feelings, but it is to be expected as is the need to take the supplements that we are told about so often pre surgery.

Thinking of you Lisa and we'll be going through together precious... I'm glad I've had a long run in pre surgery and the time to reflect and explore.

Love and hugs xxx

I never regretted my surgery at all...............sometimes when I am enjoying the foods I am eating I think to myself mmmmm I wanna eat more, not that I could as I would be in the loo ( soz if tmi) but then I realise thats the reason I had this op in the first place. xxx All the best - MeJulie xx

Dell I don't think it was meant that way. I think it was meant more as "a "without frills" answer for a change" .... but I could be wrong.

My posts have always been honest too but previously I did avoid telling the darker side of the story because when you do you are (in general) made to feel ungrateful for having your sugery.

It's not just me - other post-oppers have agreed with me in private. Some pre-oppers make us feel like "How can you be so ungrateful, I'd love to be in your shoes and have had sugery, so be thankful." Some post-oppers make us feel like "You've been given a wonderful miracle, don't knock it just get on with it and tell everyone how wonderful it is."

This may surprise you now karen, I wasnt going to reply on this thread,but here s my opinion anyways.... i really feel your comment is unfair and harsh on pre and post oppers, saying 'in general' about the response to a thread you may have put is extremely unfair, its insuating that the majority of people think like this, id say a 'minute' majority may think the way your saying, im all for hearing the good and bad sides of wls, as thinking its just a bed of roses is ridiculous, we all know its major surgery that comes with risks so how can we all sit and think its gonna be easy?!?.....

i do think also as this is a heaven for people to come and talk about wls sometimes it can be used almost as a online diary and if you are having a rough few weeks, then maybe it can seem the posts are always 'down' 'this is in noway referring to anyone in particular' i for one do not care weather the posts are happy, down, middle range etc if i dont like what im reading im adult enough to just move on and dont answer, or answer if i feel i can help....

maybe the feeling of 'ungratefulness' is really deep down how your actually thinking and feeling as you feel you ve had this wonderful gift and you should be over the moon with it 'this is to all who think that people are thinking they are ungrateful', and obviously with wls there is the rough with the smooth, i think you d actually be shocked at how many 'pre oppers' and 'post' who would be deeply offended by this statement, and who actually dont think like this at all!

finally, ive rambled abit hey!... i want to read the good with the bad! i wanna read about the effects on bodily functions, moods, sex lifes, physical, emotional changes, were all having the same ops!!! of course we wanna read the 'truth' weather its good or bad and im sure im speaking on behalf of nearly ALL 'post,pre oppers' we do not think your ungrateful if its a negative post...... get posting girls/guys.... we want the truth!!!!!!!

I agree Lisa... I'm expecting my life to change and it has to change if I want to live longer.

Plus I'm expecting all the ups, downs, in between feelings, but it is to be expected as is the need to take the supplements that we are told about so often pre surgery.

Thinking of you Lisa and we'll be going through together precious... I'm glad I've had a long run in pre surgery and the time to reflect and explore.

Love and hugs xxx
Bev...
I found this thread an interesting one...

No one can predict what will happen on the other side of surgery...
Like you Bev I have read every piece of information possible....
But like child birth..no one can tell you what its like until you have been through it.

I do think that people should be offered psychology and cognitive therapy as part of weight loss journey..as I do think not enough help is offered before or after...

hope you are well Bev... x x

Well Kelly all I can say is that "IN GENERAL" I am made to feel I should not be on here moaning and complaining.

And I did go on to say that "SOME" post-oppers and "SOME" pre-oppers make you feel blah, blah, blah. I didn't say ALL.

I didn't set out to offend anyone with what I said, I was simply explaining how I was left feeling.

And if I was to point to another thread on here we could start a whole new ball rolling - the one were "some" people are said to be "UNECESSARILY SCAREMONGERING".

All of this is what drove me away a few days ago. If you haven't got nice things to say about WLS don't bother saying it is how I take it.

i havent been on for a while sweets so havent seen that thread mentioned....

Yes I was expecting all that. I was fully aware of it all pre-surgery.

Doesn't mean we have to like it though.

And it is like asking someone "What would you do if you saw a ghost?" No one would really know until they did.

I said to somebody the other day who is having this surgery, and i dont know if anybody else felt the same but its a bit of an anti climax, you have built yourself up into a frenzy, reading all about it, getting prepared etc you then go in hospital wake up and it is done. I am not saying the results are an anticlimax, because they are great its just the procedure. xx

thats why i personally like the up,down posts, keep posting karen we all need to know whats a waiting us! x

At the risk of repeating myself because I just posted this on the other thread .......

You know what?

Stick this! I'm gone.

I/everyone was asked did we regret surgery. I responded yes and then was asked why (by you too Kelly).

I explained why and look what happens.

Find out for yourselves what post-surgery is like.

i answered on the other thread karen!! that was why i asked you!! i wnated to hear the rough and smooth of it, there s no sugar coating for me!

Doesn't mean we have to like it though.

Very true Karen, I certainly didn't like it at first, however there comes a time when you have to accept that unless you are going to risk a very dangerous procedure to get it reversed you just have to get on with it and make the best of it.

In time you might just feel differently about it and I look forward to you posting positively about it at some point in the future

Good luck with it

It's an individual journey for sure... and I'm happy to be on it... even pre surgery... it's the hope of better days...

I live in the mindset of hope and good expectation... as I always say... wishing you happiness, contentment and good luck on your weightloss journey Karen. Everyone wishes you well and the best.

Everyone's views and opinions are their own and it's always good to see all sides no matter if it's up or it's down... it's also very nice to show good will and mutual respect for everyone's experience no matter what they are.

Love and hugs to everyone, never any exceptions xxx

I'm a year post-op and down to my optimum weight, which is fantastic. I no longer have severe arthritic pain and am 'normal' at last. But my face is like a balloon found behind the sofa a week after the party. It's lost it's oomph! Because of my droopy jowls I look tired all the time as the skin has gone saggy and no lotions or potions will reverse it.

Reactions: Bev
if you knew what you do now would you still have the op sweets?...x

Back