• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Are you proud to tell the world about your WLS?

I don't mind telling people but I don't generally volunteer the information. All my friends and family knew before I had my band and my revision. They saw me struggle with my weight and how unhappy I was at a young age and they then saw me go through all the ups and downs of a failing band so were happy to support me for my revision.

I work in McDonalds, so had to tell others due to health and safety reasons. Everybody knows what op I had and I'm proud I had it. It is my life saving op... to change my life for the better. They are all pretty good about it, I still struggle carrying heavy boxes but other than that I'm much more energetic than before! :) Lots of positive comments from everyone too.

I'm not planning on telling my work colleagues as they will try to talk me out of it as they think I should be able to do it myself and also they're going to be a bit p'd off when I need time off. My sister's know because they're going down the same route. I'm definitely not telling my inlaw's side of the family because they've always looked down on me because of mine and my families weight issues and it will be great to see them think that I'm finally doing it. I'll give them so much to speculate on. Am I doing it myself? Have I had surgery? Ironically they'll eat out on it for ages!! My best friends know and are totally supportive, as they've been worried about my health for a number of years. Thats my plan anyway, hopefully no-one who knows will let the cat out of the bag!

I work in McDonalds, so had to tell others due to health and safety reasons. Everybody knows what op I had and I'm proud I had it. It is my life saving op... to change my life for the better. They are all pretty good about it, I still struggle carrying heavy boxes but other than that I'm much more energetic than before! :) Lots of positive comments from everyone too.
I also tell people and have had no problems , being open is honest.

I have no qualms telling anyone and I have been open and with anyone who asks - I don't volunteer the information to strangers or colleagues not on my team at work but if they asked I would tell them as I am not ashamed of what I have had done - I was more ashamed being big if that makes sense! I have had 2 very close friends - one a friend of over 40 yrs - make a 'comment' regarding about how desperately unhappy I must have been with myself to have even considered this surgery to which I must admit I got upset at as I was no more unhappy than any person who is struggling with their weight but i had the strength to do something about rather than just get bigger. They have both been told in no uncertain terms that negative comments will not be tolerated and it is NOT an easy option and I would not have chosen this route if I did not have to. They have both apologised and I have found that by challenging them has made them realise that they have no right to judge - at least not to my face!!! I have no control over peoples opinions and as long as they keep them to themselves I don't care what they think about my surgery it is me that has had it and me that has to live with it as we all know it is not the 'easy' option that some people think it is!! Sorry for the rant!!!

I have no qualms telling anyone and I have been open and with anyone who asks - I don't volunteer the information to strangers or colleagues not on my team at work but if they asked I would tell them as I am not ashamed of what I have had done - I was more ashamed being big if that makes sense! I have had 2 very close friends - one a friend of over 40 yrs - make a 'comment' regarding about how desperately unhappy I must have been with myself to have even considered this surgery to which I must admit I got upset at as I was no more unhappy than any person who is struggling with their weight but i had the strength to do something about rather than just get bigger. They have both been told in no uncertain terms that negative comments will not be tolerated and it is NOT an easy option and I would not have chosen this route if I did not have to. They have both apologised and I have found that by challenging them has made them realise that they have no right to judge - at least not to my face!!! I have no control over peoples opinions and as long as they keep them to themselves I don't care what they think about my surgery it is me that has had it and me that has to live with it as we all know it is not the 'easy' option that some people think it is!! Sorry for the rant!!!
your quite right! I too was more ashamed of being big and proud I am doing something about it, I think you took the right approach with your friends x

I won't be ashamed of having it done.
Some people I know have spent £10,000 having their teeth done , now that's cosmetic surgery ? This is ultimately life saving . As in saving my life and giving me a life ..
I've not told the world as such , but my family know .
My work mates and boss , they've been nothing but supportive , even wanting to add to my surgery savings pot ! It was kind of them , but this is my story and I don't want anyone having a part of it it that makes sense . Donations from my mum and daughters was fine as they are my story , but not other people ..
I told a few customers who would notice I'm missing , but only ones I like and trust .
When the weight is noticeable and people ask , I have a few answers lined up depending who they are , strangers etc .
Stranger asking me how much I've lost ? I will ask how much they earn , followed by , sorry is that to personal ?
Mindy
Xxx

I won't be ashamed of having it done. Some people I know have spent £10,000 having their teeth done , now that's cosmetic surgery ? This is ultimately life saving . As in saving my life and giving me a life .. I've not told the world as such , but my family know . My work mates and boss , they've been nothing but supportive , even wanting to add to my surgery savings pot ! It was kind of them , but this is my story and I don't want anyone having a part of it it that makes sense . Donations from my mum and daughters was fine as they are my story , but not other people .. I told a few customers who would notice I'm missing , but only ones I like and trust . When the weight is noticeable and people ask , I have a few answers lined up depending who they are , strangers etc . Stranger asking me how much I've lost ? I will ask how much they earn , followed by , sorry is that to personal ? Mindy Xxx
I tell anyone who asks, the funny thing is I wouldn't talk about it at all before but I don't care at all now lol!

I've only told my parents, sisters, obviously my husband knows and one really close friend.

I'm at the beginning of my WLS journey and if I'm honest until I don't know it's going to be a "successful" one I'm keeping stum! Myself & hubby got married very young and have grafted the last 10 years building businesses and have a relatively comfortable life much to a lot of people's dismay around us who thought we would be unsuccessful and divorced within a year. For me I'd rather not have it used against me as I know a lot of un-supportive people on the fringes of my life would use it as.

I guess its a personal thing and wouldn't have an issue telling people I know I can trust who won't judge me I guess

I live in a very ignorant town full of people who have very strong opinions of themselves. A lot of people are fit healthy do gooders who speak their minds and I've heard them speak about people that "don't conform and are not normal" I cannot speak and tell my family as they are like this too. It's not that I'm not wanting too I don't want my children being picked on at school , which has happened to a person who I know. It's not all clear cut people!

Its how it is. I'm over the moon with my choice of surgery and I can speak to everyone on here.

And at the end of the day , it is nobody else's business Beep so don't worry about it .
We are surrounded by small minded people who judge us for being large and then judge again for taking action .
I'm just waiting for someone to dare call me a cheat . I got a few one liners lined up for them !

My work colleagues know, as I'm going to need their support - especially from one, who is a very close friend. I work in a really small team of 9 anyway. I didn't have a lot of choice actually; the day I was offered surgery I walked into work stunned (this was also the day I was offered a job, which would mean moving away from my support networks) and they asked what was wrong. Some people already knew I'd been on the journey for 4 years prior to this!

A few good friends know; I'm not ashamed, I'm more ashamed of the size I am now. Whether walking away from the job was the right decision remains to be seen...

im keeping it secret. a lady at work had a gastric band, she was working really hard with the band to get her results but everyone accused her of cheating and talked about her behind her back. Im only telling my husband, I dont give too much of a toss what random people think but people closer to me are quite opinionated and rude and i dont want their negative attitudes affecting me and my weightloss.

im keeping it secret. a lady at work had a gastric band, she was working really hard with the band to get her results but everyone accused her of cheating and talked about her behind her back. Im only telling my husband, I dont give too much of a toss what random people think but people closer to me are quite opinionated and rude and i dont want their negative attitudes affecting me and my weightloss.
Hello,
In the very beginning of my journey I only told 1 sister my manager, senior and 1friend( she had wls years before) the only reason been not having to discuss Mirco steps as in each appointment tests and also having everyone watching my every mouthful so when I started losing weight pre op ( sadly!) no one really noticed too wrapped up in their own life's! I finally told my family on the Sunday before my op on the Thursday and then told my work mates on the Tuesday just 3 days before and other people as and when I saw them so most people are aware, maybe a few on Facebook but those I'm not bothered about so what I'm saying is each to their own and as for your friends so called work mates....stuff them she is doing what's right for her and that's to be celebrated!

I only told my husband and best friend. I didn't need or want other peoples thoughts and opinions frankly. You know what's the right decision for you and that's all that matters :)

Back