• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

just a general question, my band was done on 1st sept 2010, when should i be aiming for my 1st fill ???
at the moment if i let myself i can eat almost anything as ive got no restriction at all....so i guess soon im gonna start putting the pounds back on if im not carefull...anyone shed some light on when the first fill should be done?? im 5 weeks post op tomorrow and desperate to feel the band working....

Hi Candy the 1st fill should be done between weeks 6 & 8, ring your providor today and try to get booked in for your 1st fill, good luck xxx

well i think nina should be proud as should all of you, i think this thread is gonna be a success, and it will be good for everybody, and bypassers etc will learn more about how bands work, and the problems that you all encounter.
its gonna make a great site even better.well done everybody, specially nina, big hugs xx

hi neen and all the lovely banders

loving this thread. I had my band done nearly a year ago and my weight loss has been slow but it is coming off. it had stopped but i went back last week and had a fill, at the moment i have really good restriction so am hoping the weight loss will start again.

i always knew it wouldnt be a quick fix and that i would have to work with the band but im sure somewhere in my subconsious i thought one morning i would wake up skinny. (i wish) i am so glad im not the only person that is finding it hard work. i stopped coming onto the site as i found it a bit disheartening when i read how well the bypassers were doing, not that i dont wish them well i really do but im not a bypasser and dont want to be. i love my band and sometimes its nice to know what other banders are eating as i do think maybe im not eating right but then again im not eating rubbish either. i think i need to drink more water and exercise more.

i start a new job in a few weeks and will be on my feet all day and moving around so im hoping that will help me as well.

would love to hear how you all get on

sallie

Hello Sallie xxxx This is exactly what I hoped would happen !
I am so glad you took the plunge and decided to post and I hope that so far the thread has helped you x Cah-Ching has also started a banders useful foods thread which I hope we can all add to and use x

I know how you feel...go in to the band all guns blazing and then realise it isn't as helpful initially as we expected.

I think we all know that we have to do some work with it before and we think we are prepared, I think I was secretly assuming that it still would be a lot more automatic.

I listened to the surgeon say I would be suited to a bypass but I couldn't afford it....so I just thought...."well the lady on reception lost 14 stone with HER band"....

However, I had not been on this site enough before my op went ahead...so I have had many many times where I felt stupid, doomed to fail and regretful since...especially as more and more lighter people than me NOW are having bypasses!!!

It often felt like I was never ever going to finish my weight loss with a band...that I was pretty much screwed unless I went to my doctor and begged for a bypass.

HOWEVER!!! I am not going to roll over and admit defeat and I think if we all stick at it together and help out we can totally start weight loss moving.

Sallie if you need help with a rough idea of calorie allowance, or ideas for meals and snacks that help with your band, or if you want some ideas to distract yourself from unnessesary eating etc please just ask x

Also if you have any good survival tips that have helped you out of a difficult moment , please share it with us :)
Let's have a banders idea swap shop so that any problem can be shared and a solution found xx

Definately being on your feet more will help a lot. Try and keep a load of water bottles in the fridge..or make up bottles of NAS and keep them in the fridge ready to go swig as often as you can.

It is really difficult to remember to drink enough....I think also the surgeon made my bladder smaller at the same time as putting my band in....I am always widdling! Still all the frantic dashes to the loo count as exercise I'm sure.
Why don't you start a food diary in the diary section and also on a notepad at home, so you can be fully aware of what you actually eat for a week?
Just to check in on what's going in. You might find you aren't eating enough or that you are underestimating what you have.

Awesome! Good luck :) I wish I could get to one! Better learn to drive at some point eh!

Funnily enough I was in DOrset 2 weekends ago ... wish I'd have known you then :)

Learning to drive will be a really boost for you :) I'm sure you do exercise anyway and in spite of it :)

Lol small world eh? I will get round to it...the driving!!
I lived in walking distance of everything essential for 13 years so it got put off and put off.

We have a treadmill, Kettle bell and dumbells, bodyblade, sculpting ball, wii fit, rowing machine (got it today) and I have oodles of dvds. There is a multi gym and a slam man in the garage kinda covered by all our junk at the moment but when we get some stuff removed , hopefully we can use them as well.
In theory I should look like a supermodel....hahaha
I just like the idea of going to the gym and using all the gear!!

Lol small world eh? I will get round to it...the driving!!
I lived in walking distance of everything essential for 13 years so it got put off and put off.

We have a treadmill, Kettle bell and dumbells, bodyblade, sculpting ball, wii fit, rowing machine (got it today) and I have oodles of dvds. There is a multi gym and a slam man in the garage kinda covered by all our junk at the moment but when we get some stuff removed , hopefully we can use them as well.
In theory I should look like a supermodel....hahaha
I just like the idea of going to the gym and using all the gear!!

You sound as if you have a gym at home!!!! :wow:

The rowing machine will really be the making of you. I don't use it enough! Cardio and resistance working in one exercise - brilliant. I always aim to complete 2000m in under 10 minutes.

I go to the gym for social purposes; not that I know anyone, more a case of me being around people which helps me a lot. Additionally it forces me to go out rather than stay couped in the house. OK I admit I like watching the men and hope one day I'll get pulled lol but I have competition from some (minority) of women that go there with fresh slap on wtf??!!. I am so determined to continue exercising as I enjoy the buzz and feeling of satisfaction and I want this ruddy band to work ... I'm not convinced I'll be one of those people who lose 4 Stone in the first year ... there's only 5 months between now and my anniversary ! :cry: I was hoping to be around 18Stones by now :cry:

It's going to happen for you x It will! The gym habit is fantastic...you are going to be a fat burning machine with that great lean muscle tone you are building.

And exercise is excellent for stress release and makes you energised....(not that I feel it sometimes straight after an hour on the treadmill)

LOL I wonder how fresh the make up on those women looks after a session...lovely and caked on I'm sure (ewww)

I'm sure you'll be swapping some numbers soon with a few eligible hunks...your confidence goes up as you get back in control of your body and voila....get the old animal magneteeeeeeesm going!!

I did 10 minutes on the rower earlier and I am pretty sure I barely did a few feet hehe... I thought me and Dean could go on it in the evenings whilst watching telly.
If I'm going to sit on my butt for that long I might as well do something useful!!

Good morning banders! Hope everyone is doing good today and thinking about some tips they can pass on that have helped them in those restriction lacking emergencies.

Also I hope some of you (most of you) will keep adding to this and other band threads so we can keep the support visible to our new banders who might not yet have gotten to grips with how to search on site or how to keep up with fresh content x

morning banders!! :)

i'm hoping i can lose 2Ibs or MORE this week. I'm thinking that I should eat up to my calories where possible even if it means snacking on fruit in between my meals, jsut to keep my metabolism.
My body loses weight in starvation mode (Cambridge Diet) but mentally and physically it's tough on me - although it's the only diet I've done with SOME success.

Anyway ... wish me luck?! I'm due to fly on Friday this week and I'm so worried about the plane seatbelt and seat itself ... I guess it will tell me whether I've been doing the right thing the last few weeks i.e. inchloss (since I've not lost on the scales). I'm flying British Airways whose seats are always comfortable, but nevertheless I'd still like to know there's been inchloss if there hasn't been weightloss.

Did other banders have inchloss instead of weightloss?

Tah xxx

Morning Neen

Ive posted what I ate yesterday in my diary - not a bad day, although lots of nibbling!

My legs really ache today from Body Balance must of walked for at least an hour yesterday.

My tip for the day food wise is grated carrot, sweet and very, very filling. Im still full from last night but managed to crow bar a slim fast in this morning! Exercise wise stretch and cool down to avoid the aches!

So to make your tuna go further put a bit of carrot in it :D

Lack of sleep is so not good for us .. and increases weight - I believe there was a study published this year that said as much.

I've not been sleeping since attending a funeral last week ... thinking about my own mortality ... didn't help they opened the casket and me being a tall person had no choice but to see everything!

Anyway back to sleep ... if I'm to exercise the way I do I need more sleep. How are felow banders sleeping patterns?

I'm currently supping my protein shake and about to eat some scrambled eggs for breakfast ... can't stomach (no pun intended :eek:) anything too hard like granola.

I sleep very poorly, drives me mad which obvioulsy doesnt help - vicious circle! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hello hello!

Cah-ching, I was pondering what you said regarding success on your vlcd...maybe reframe that...a successful way to eat (and lose and maintain weight) would be one that keeps you satisfied on real foods, feeling great and at a healthy weight...comfortable around food and maintaining a good weight effortlessly because healthy satisfying food choices and moving our body is second nature and a pleasure.

That's what I want from being able to eat when I'm physically hungry only, want to exercise and enjoy it and have everything I eat do something wonderful for my health.

That's what I want to help us all get to and I reckon we are going to!!

I'm sure the plane seat will be fine! Get a tape measure!!! I bet your body is streamlining already but if you are only checking progress on your weight you are going to miss out on seeing the real whole picture and just how great you really ARE doing!! xxxxxx

Morning Mazza!
I like carrot...my trouble is not planning ahead!! I bet grated carrot with a few sultanas and nuts in would be a nice mixture as well.
I remember having grated carrot and peanut salad at school (yeah they had salad back then eh hehe) and LOVING that...so I reckon some cashews or pecans would be nice as well...or even almonds if you wanna be super virtuous!

I have my tuna ready for emergency nibbles today !

Also I agree with Cah-ching...gotta get your zeds! I will sort that hypnosis out today for you x

I like this thread, because I came to this site looking for support for my upcoming band operation, but the majority of threads are all pro-bypass and not a lot of positive is posted for banders. I've found myself staying away from this site for this reason.

Don't get me wrong a heck of a lot of you, have been very supportive, and thats what brings me back, but banders are definitely in the minority on this site, and sometimes what i read makes me back track on going forward...lol..makes sense in my head.

11 days and counting eeeek \0/

Thanks for coming back though Suzy, this is exactly why I have been posting a lot more and trying to get us to look out for each other. I think if we just keep posting we can see each other a lot easier x

I am so pleased that what is pro band now is helping you in some way. Mazza is almost at goal and she has inspired me very much...hopefully if we have these little threads which we all use to check in together, then we can build up some successes and a really good resource within a resource.

How are you feeling Suzy? "eeek" worried or "eeek" excited?

Hi all, loving this thread and been eagerly reading. Its so good to see banders out these who are having sucesses and moving on from stalls etc. I hope you dont mind if I ask a question. i am 8 days post op now and feel like I have done pretty well. Still getting very small amount of wind pain though and I am contipted. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced increased pain towards the end of the day? Specifically quite a sharp pain in the middle of my tummy which worsens if I move? Sorry if its not quite the right place to ask.

Hiya,

I still have problems with wind - as my body doesn't expel wind the way it did preband as I can't burp when I'm eating (the way I used to). At the moment I've a lot of wind sitting in my lower abdomen. When it gets really bad I have to take medication ... I also take buscopan. You're only a few days out, it'll get better I'm sure.

I'm so pleased more banders are raising their haeds above the parapet (sp?)

Thanks for posting Leesh, please keep dipping in here because I hope we can add more and more useful stuff together.

I always feel a bit hesitant about answering medical issues , my op was a looong time ago, I know I felt rough but I put that down to being extra big and just in poor physical shape anyway.

The wind pain is a shock isn't it...no way did I imagine that my shoulder would be in agony. It seemed weird and was nasty.

At this stage it's difficult to know wether your tummy pain is part constipation pain that's accumulating as the day goes on and is part of the pain you would expect to get after surgery once the aneathestics have gone out of your system or what really.

Obviously being constipated is going to cause abdominal strains and with the keyhole wounds as well and your body in general shock I would say keep an eye on it.

I always say ask your team as I think sometimes it's a lot better to just check with them to save a lot of wondering and worrying yourself imagining all sorts of dire things it might be.

Have you got anything for the constipation cos that has got to help with the pains and generally making you feel much more normal and comfortable.

Give your team a ring in the morning to run it by someone to avoid speculating and stressing x

Back