• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BANDERS UNITE ! Get to know each other chatter !

Neen,

You are right ... I must not put pressure on myself. I'm happy for the weight loss to take 3 years, so long as the trend is DOWNWARD whenever I go on the scales (which isn't often).

xx

You know what though? I think it will be quicker overall than you think simply by taking the pressure off.
I reckon and I think I might just be right, that having that achievable higher gratification one stone goal, we don't lose heart...we don't feel failure and go off the rails and so we don't delay ourselves with binges etc...

Okay people. There is good news - I've lost another couple of pounds due to fill 20th Sept bringing total to 4st 9lbs - whoopppee - and there is bad news - boooo. You have shamed me into dusting off the cross trainer this morning. I've had a chat with it and decided that from Monday cross trainer and I will become more than passing friends. Now I'm not sure that I should thank you but I will anyway. Monday evening I may post something else but for now - ta ever so. I am off now to give one of my clients a fab hot stone massage and then take the dog for a walk to Virginia Water. Have a good day one and all.

YAY!!! Any loss is good and 2lbs is awesome!
Walking is always good and I think a lot of us dismiss it as a major contributor towards our weight loss and fitness...but walking is one of the best things you can do !

Also so many of the bits of exercise kit we have bought in our family over the years have turned into expensive clothes hangers!! I think we feel like just buying them is going to somehow transform us and the most exercise we do at times is unpacking and assembling the flipping things!

Even if you just get on it with a view to doing 10 minutes...you probably will find that you do more once you get going !
10 minutes daily , done consistantly...is much much better and more effective than an hour once a year :D

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your exercise..you will feel so pleased that you did some after.xxx

Knowing that everyone is doing some makes me feel obliged to do mine, even though I feel grotty today.

It's a good kind of guilt hehe

Hello all. I am off to the seminar tonight held for all the poeple on this surgery intake at Doncaster Hospital. I know people who have had bands and two people who have had bypass surgery. To be honest I wanted a band because I was so scared about how major the bypass is. I realy do hope that the band works for me. One of my friends has done so well with a band. On the other hand one has not and that is because she still does bad things like eating a tub of ice cream and stuff like that. I am going into this process hopeing to get my life back. If that means sensible eating so be it.
I realy feel for the peole who are struggleing to get to their goals on here. I was wondering if their surgery teams could help. As this is all new to me I sort of though that there was quite a bit of after care available. It's like anything else If you are given the tools and not shown how to use them it is going to be a struggle trying to work thing out for yourself. I know that I got as big as I am because I was to proud to ask for help so believe me whatever help is offered I will take.

Big hugs to all that need one and hope you cam get the help and support you need xxx

Hello Amanda!
The band is very good , but before restriction or if we choose the wrong foods, it won't do anything much for us.

It is really important to get your head sorted and really be ready ...REALLY ready, to stop doing things that are keeping you fat..and modify your behaviours.

Your friend who is struggling would maybe benefit with coming on here and see if we can help her out.

I have survived on ice cream and daft food during my band life and you can get out of it and back on track AND feel good about it, but you need some guidance from people who know how that feels.
Ready to help her if she wants so maybe let her have a read of this thread.

For you also Amanda, I am happy to share anything I can in terms of what got me out of a bad spot and what really helps change those habits that made the problem.

We just need to do some rewiring to teach ourselves to react differently and see food in a new and more natural light.

We'll help each other, whatever problem that crops up, it's likely at least one of us on here has some relevant experience and help they can give you with it xxxx

hi everyone...ive just been guided hear by the lovely neen...i need some advice on protein powder??
i will say, im currently not working, so cant really afford to spend alot right now, im currently using a sanatogen one from boots which costs me £8-99 box, and the box lasts me about 1 month, so im asking myself am i getting enough protein??
what should my daily intake be???
the stuff i use, i just add it to a bit of water and then make up a hot drink as normal..cappunchinos, hot chocolate of an evening time, ive also added it to scrambled egg...but im talking 1 tablesppon at a time....should i be having more than this?
the stuff my gym use is MAXITONE, but very expensive...£32 for 700g which lasts around a week....they have 2 different kinds..one is called sculptress and the other is definity....anyone ever used them??? im not keen on milkshakes but keen to try anything to get my weight loss up a little.....neen as said she uses BSN...have they got a web site need???
i,ll be very keen to hear what others have to say about protein....im on a multivitamin/mineral.....im taking the kids vitabiotics wellkid smart chewable, its comprehensive multi-vitamin,iron,minerals plus omega 3....so i should be doing something right i hope....lolxxx

Yay Candy ! I'm glad you found us xxx
I think you're doing great with your choices mentioned.

I got my powder from amazon.co.uk actually and I used it to boost my slimfasts.

I think there are also cheaper ways of boosting your protein though, skim milk powder added to stuff has been mentioned on the forum.
Snacking on nuts (just a handful) like almonds or pecans
Peanut butter on melba toast or even a banana
I have a bowl of drained tuna I eat when I get munchie
Yogurts etc.

Even ham with low fat cheese spread on it , veggie sticks and rolled up like a little fajita would be good and not many cals.

Under my name is a foodie link and if you read that a lot of the snacks are protein rich x

I must admit I LOVE my protein shake. I mix it with water - I used to mix with milk but quickly switched to water so as to get used to the flavour and reduce my calorie in take.

I use Maximuscle Promax Diet; it' is pricey £43.99 for 1.5 kilos I think. However I bought it direct from the webpage and got two for £65.00. I love it because it completely suppresses my appetite - it's so strange. Today my port is tight and I've had trouble eating a jacket potato which was easy to eat on Tuesday. So instead I'm having a protein shake in a bit and then I'll be off to on my journey.

I DID look at Maxitone and Sculptress ... which seem to be aimed at women. However I like promax because it's very high in protein. As Neen says there are other ways to boost protein .. eggs, milk, cheese, nuts, peanut butter meats etc. however I like my shakes because they offer lots of protein without too much calorific outlay. :)

I'm honoured that a pre-op bypasser enjoys reading this :)

Take care :)
Hiya cah ching, i am having a band. I was hoping to have a bypass but after seeing mr super on monday he said band. I was totally mortified and upset that i couldn't have a bypass, but after reading this thread, and a very long discussion with my mum i'm feeling fine with the decision now. I can do this!!! So i will be joining you in the very near future hopefully december or january.

I will no doubt be bugging the life out of all of you though with lots of questions, so i apologise now :D.

I would like a bit of reassurance about the fills if you don't mind anyone? all of you?;)... i have read some pretty scary things and that's the main thing that has put me off the band.

So embrace my band i shall and here is too a slimmer me :D.

I went out today and got myself a size 18 top, im currently a 24/22 top and a size 16 pair of jeans im just in an 18 now..nothing expensive just something for me to aim for.

If you can think of any tips for me or any sites or anything to read feel free to let me know....i am taking notes of things i think will help me.

Oh and cah ching i will change my statistics to band now;).

xxx

I can't reply just now as I'm running late, but if I can get internet access at Heathrow I'll reply.

I bought some smaller clothes too ;-)

Hi Kelly

I think Ive said to you before that I dont like needles and Im not sure what you have heard to put you off?

I have had all of my fills without xray which involved lying on a bed with my tummy exposed, lifting my legs to get my tummy muscles to tense, sharp scratch into the port then job done. Over in seconds. Some people have an xray for their first fill to check the position of the band etc and Im sure that someone who has will be along to let you know how they go.

I have had 5 (I think) fills since my band was fitted in April 09, they were all done at the clinic while I was having a check up. There is no need for the constant having to have fills that some seem people may have you believe. It may take 1 or 2 or even 5 or 6 to get good restriction and then maybe some maintenance ones over the years but nothing to worry about x

Hi Kelly

I think Ive said to you before that I dont like needles and Im not sure what you have heard to put you off?

I have had all of my fills without xray which involved lying on a bed with my tummy exposed, lifting my legs to get my tummy muscles to tense, sharp scratch into the port then job done. Over in seconds. Some people have an xray for their first fill to check the position of the band etc and Im sure that someone who has will be along to let you know how they go.

I have had 5 (I think) fills since my band was fitted in April 09, they were all done at the clinic while I was having a check up. There is no need for the constant having to have fills that some seem people may have you believe. It may take 1 or 2 or even 5 or 6 to get good restriction and then maybe some maintenance ones over the years but nothing to worry about x

Hi, thank you for the reply. I'm sure i read it on this site, a few peeps saying that they had it done blind and that they were poked and prodded and it really hurt..i think i'd faint well and truely. The dietician did say that our fills would be done under x ray. I have also been told it's a huge needle and you have to drink a barium meal until your sick:eek: sounds awful xx

Hiya Kelly x Evening Mazza !

Honestly ? The fills I have had are like Mazza's. It's like a pressing and a firm scratch. It's not the nicest feeling but it's not that bad either.
You get used to it I promise and as Mazza says... it's not that constant.
I had one that wasn't very nice but only one and it was an exception to the rule so don't be too worried.
Lie back and think of size 10 jeans !

Hiya Kelly x Evening Mazza !

Honestly ? The fills I have had are like Mazza's. It's like a pressing and a firm scratch. It's not the nicest feeling but it's not that bad either.
You get used to it I promise and as Mazza says... it's not that constant.
I had one that wasn't very nice but only one and it was an exception to the rule so don't be too worried.
Lie back and think of size 10 jeans !

Thanks for that nina it doesn't sound too bad :eek:, I'm sure the hospital thinks we will only need 2 or 3 in the 2 years! we will see lol.

I am off to bed now as the fridge is shouting my name..funny it always does when i'm the only one left up..no one believes me tho:p xx

Morning Kelly ! Hope you managed to dodge the fridge !
Also crossed fingers Cah-ching has a good trip and Mazza had a lovely sleep last night :)
Hope everyone else is OK so far today.
I really really really did not want to get on the treadmill last night (period from hell) but I did my obligatory half hour and actually it was OK when I got going.

I think with starting the exercise, the best method can sometimes be to commit to a minimum of say 10 minutes which will be achieveable easily for most of us, then you will probably find you do a lot more than that.

Whatever you manage , if you do the minimum 10 or 20 minutes every day and keep it consistant..it will pay off and you will WANT to increase the time and intensity anyway.
x

Morning Nina,

well done on getting on the treadmill yesterday!

I have to be very motivated to get myself moving. At the minute the gym is out of the question as i think oh i've worked out and been good i'll have a mars bar!! not good so i actually do better when i don't go, mad as that is. I used to do tai chi and loved that, I shall have to start again, mum got me a dvd last xmas and it's still in the sellophane!.
I lost a lot of weight once walking, i got myself one of those sweat suits that they do in argos used to put it on and joggers and jacket on top and boy did i sweat lol used to be a puddle on the bathroom floor..actually found the suit the other day..might have to put it on again!. x

Back