• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

I didn't meet the dietician til pre op. LRD came from consultant. Pre op was 3 days before my op. Hope that helps?

@JOHNG79 a few days after claire sent the paperwork I got a letter from the Alex confirming date of op and price with info on how to pay. They don't require payment til pre op day but I did it a few days before. There's a form to send back to confirm you agree date/price. Then a letter for pre op arrived. Pre op took a couple of hours as you see bariatric nurse who is just fab, physio and dietician. You also have shed loads of blood and an ecg done. Physio takes some measurements and makes you do some leg raises that she times you so they can repeat at each further check to see if fitness developing.
A letter arrives explaining what to do on op day but the nurse also went through it all and confirmed arrival time - 11.30 in my case as Mr Li does afternoon list.
In terms of pre op diet if you don't have the info already ring claire or mr Li direct if you have his number.
I have the dietician number too.

@JOHNG79 a few days after claire sent the paperwork I got a letter from the Alex confirming date of op and price with info on how to pay. They don't require payment til pre op day but I did it a few days before. There's a form to send back to confirm you agree date/price. Then a letter for pre op arrived. Pre op took a couple of hours as you see bariatric nurse who is just fab, physio and dietician. You also have shed loads of blood and an ecg done. Physio takes some measurements and makes you do some leg raises that she times you so they can repeat at each further check to see if fitness developing.
A letter arrives explaining what to do on op day but the nurse also went through it all and confirmed arrival time - 11.30 in my case as Mr Li does afternoon list.
In terms of pre op diet if you don't have the info already ring claire or mr Li direct if you have his number.
Thanks for all that info. Mr li told me to fly in night before so not sure how pre op will be done, unless im done first thing, and operated on last lol

@JOHNG79 maybe the afternoon before? When your stuff comes with your pre op appointment just run and speak to the bariatric nurse - I'll give you their names when I get home and I'm sure they'll sort it out.

Some great info there MrsN . I have confirmed everything with Claire so I'm guessing I now wait until the Alex contacts me. What are the payment options? The Spire accepted debit/credit cards plus a finance option is it the same with the Alex? I have a million and one things going through my head. What kind of things will I need to pack for my overnight stay? I'm feeling a bit stressed tonight and don't know why.

@CYguy Dont feel stressed it will all come together just fine.
I'm not sure re finance options and the finer detail but they did have info on it in reception and in my letter. I paid half debit half credit card (0% purchases) and there was a £5 card fee for the credit.

You really don't need much for the hospital stay at all - I didn't use half the stuff I brought. Pj's, comfy clothes to travel home in toiletries and iPad mini is about all I used. A pillow for the car journey home was essential.

Cyguy - Dont be freaking. Just take your time, plus plenty of good sources of advice on here. Good question about what to bring to hospital. Think Il do pants tshirt shorts and flipflops, toiletries, and a tablet of some sort.

MrsN is there decent WIFI in hospital? Were you given anything to drink/ eat post op to test the sleeve?

@MrsN @JOHNG79 Thanks for the support I'm feeling a lot better today and much more positive. I got stressed over the thought of my liver not shrinking enough after reading stories of people waking up and the procedure hadn't been done because their liver hadn't shrunk :-( I know i'll be fine as long as I stick to the pre op diet, I bet I've lost 7lb just walking to the loo .....I've never done so much peeing in my life, that's a good sign that my liver is shrinking??

@MrsN Thanks for the info on payments methods, I'll have to move the money from joint savings so I can pay with debit card. Oooo just thought I could pay with CC and earn a load of reward points to convert to M&S/Debenhams vouchers ...new 34waist jeans here I come :)

I'm making a note of what to take into hospital, off to Debenhams tomorrow to buy some new 'big lads' pj's, a couple of big comfy t shirts and nice toiletries so I feel like I'm going on holiday and not into hospital :) :)

@MrsN what happens post op? How long before you was up and walking about? Did you have blood thinning injections?? So many questions but I'm sure I'll find out all this at the pre op.

Yeah pee'ing is a good sign!! Stick to the diet and your liver will be fine. Some people have had last minute ops and only done 4 days and been ok.

My post op - I was third on list so didn't go down til 5 and spent a bit of time in recovery but back in room around 8pm where I dozed on and off for a while. Got out of bed for the loo around 10pm and felt very dizzy and sick. Slept on and off through the night but come 6am I was out of bed and wandering around. Physio came around 10am and we went for a walk and tried stairs (all fine). Spent rest of the day up and down really and Mr Li came to see me around 3.20 checked wounds had a chat about the op etc and asked if I'd like to go home. He said if I didn't feel ready I could stay another night but I wanted to go home. Went about an hour later. Discharged with 5 days worth of injections and some other meds.

I have received my pre op appointments from the Alex. for the 6th Dec. The postman left my letter on a table in the lobby of our apartment block, thankfully my neighbour saw it and has just delivered it to me, bless her. I have about 2 hours of appointments with various members of the bariatric team. It's all happening now.

Yeah pee'ing is a good sign!! Stick to the diet and your liver will be fine. Some people have had last minute ops and only done 4 days and been ok.

My post op - I was third on list so didn't go down til 5 and spent a bit of time in recovery but back in room around 8pm where I dozed on and off for a while. Got out of bed for the loo around 10pm and felt very dizzy and sick. Slept on and off through the night but come 6am I was out of bed and wandering around. Physio came around 10am and we went for a walk and tried stairs (all fine). Spent rest of the day up and down really and Mr Li came to see me around 3.20 checked wounds had a chat about the op etc and asked if I'd like to go home. He said if I didn't feel ready I could stay another night but I wanted to go home. Went about an hour later. Discharged with 5 days worth of injections and some other meds.
How long did you need to take the injections for? You still wearing the flight socks?

How long did you need to take the injections for? You still wearing the flight socks?

5 days of injections. Gorgeous stockings for 2 weeks!!

5 days of injections. Gorgeous stockings for 2 weeks!!
Haha i briefly thought of wearing shorts for comfort until i remembered the socks lol.

Is there decent WIFI in hospital? Were you given anything to drink/ eat post op to test the sleeve?

I have received my pre op appointments from the Alex. for the 6th Dec. The postman left my letter on a table in the lobby of our apartment block, thankfully my neighbour saw it and has just delivered it to me, bless her. I have about 2 hours of appointments with various members of the bariatric team. It's all happening now.
Brilliant news. Ball rolling et al.

@JOHNG79 yeah wifi is good. I took my iPad and watched films. They test for leaks in theatre. I was given water fairly soon after being back in room I think (bit hazy). Come the morning I was given milkshake and bovril type drink which i only managed a few sips of.

@JOHNG79 yeah wifi is good. I took my iPad and watched films. They test for leaks in theatre. I was given water fairly soon after being back in room I think (bit hazy). Come the morning I was given milkshake and bovril type drink which i only managed a few sips of.
Oh thats handy about wifi for tv films etc. Will help kill some time.

Back