• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

Well i am having a disaster. Claire finally came back with hdu charge for Alex of £2k which i have told her i aint paying. Mr Li told me on consult it was 6/700ish in the alex. Any money saved from other companies by going through his PA would be lost with this new price.

Shambles.

Oh no! Where does that leave you? Is there any way of negotiating? That's such a difference from what you were told :(

Oh no! Where does that leave you? Is there any way of negotiating? That's such a difference from what you were told :(
Tbh not sure. The pa has to speak to consultant tomorrow & get back to me. Given flights & hotel paid for, im in limbo really.

@JOHNG79 oh no!!!! That's totally crap!!! Really unfair. 2K!!!?? Jeez. I'm sure my contract says HDU charge included if I needed it.

@MrsN It's not a pleasant feeling the discomfort up in the chest. I cant win, I think to myself i'll try one more sip and it's that bugger that gives me the full feeling and pain in the chest. I have only managed 1.5 bottles of ready made slimfast and one 250ml bottle of flavoured sugar free water all day. The thought of attempting to get any pureed food down in a couple of weeks scares me. :eek:

@JOHNG79 I go to see Mr Li in clinic just before going back to Cyprus on the 15th Jan, i'll also see the bariatric nurse and physio therapist on the 10th Jan, they gave me that appointment date at my pre med cuz I told them I was flying back to my holiday home on the 15th. All my dietician appointments with Louise will be done by skype but I will fly back for a 6 monthly check up.

@JOHNG79 Just seen you post regarding HDU, in my 2 year package the HDU was included if I needed it. You should have a 30 day insurance in the package that deals with any probs post op. just looking at my package info and it says package includes :

DURING HOSPITAL STAY:
Admitting Consultant fees
Hospital accommodation and meals
Nursing care and facilities
Theatre fees, drugs and dressings
HIGH DEPENDENCY AND/OR INTENSIVE CARE UNIT IF REQUIRED
Prosthesis
X-ray, Physiotherapy, Pathology and Histology

Stay positive, I am sure you will get the same package. It did cross my mind what would happen if I needed HDU and I was going to ask about it but then I saw it listed as part of the package which put my mind at rest.

Same here!!! Included in the price which was 7.5k.

I
@JOHNG79 Just seen you post regarding HDU, in my 2 year package the HDU was included if I needed it. You should have a 30 day insurance in the package that deals with any probs post op. just looking at my package info and it says package includes :

DURING HOSPITAL STAY:
Admitting Consultant fees
Hospital accommodation and meals
Nursing care and facilities
Theatre fees, drugs and dressings
HIGH DEPENDENCY AND/OR INTENSIVE CARE UNIT IF REQUIRED
Prosthesis
X-ray, Physiotherapy, Pathology and Histology

Stay positive, I am sure you will get the same package. It did cross my mind what would happen if I needed HDU and I was going to ask about it but then I saw it listed as part of the package which put my mind at rest.

I was quoted 8k sleeve, 8.5 bypass, and hdu if needed 6/700 ish.

Bonkers

Go back to them John!!
If I could find my letter I'd scan it in to show you.

Go back to them John!!
If I could find my letter I'd scan it in to show you.

Just had call from debbie (nurse at alex) who wants me to go Gp to get Mrsa tested. She mentioned i may need 2 nights Hdu possibly lol. Told her about issue with pricing, but obviously thats not her issue. Now contacting other providers again lol.

@JOHNG79 Really sorry you are going through this right now, try not to get too stressed, I know thats easy for me to say but try to stay on track with your pre op diet. if I was in your position I would phone the Alex and ask if HDU care is included in your surgery package, something may have got lost in translation and you may find out that you are covered. Also dont forget your BMI will drop on the pre op diet, at my pre med my BMI was 46.7 on the day of surgery it was 43 so in just over 2 weeks of pre op diet my BMI dropped quite a bit. keep us posted please.

@JOHNG79 Really sorry you are going through this right now, try not to get too stressed, I know thats easy for me to say but try to stay on track with your pre op diet. if I was in your position I would phone the Alex and ask if HDU care is included in your surgery package, something may have got lost in translation and you may find out that you are covered. Also dont forget your BMI will drop on the pre op diet, at my pre med my BMI was 46.7 on the day of surgery it was 43 so in just over 2 weeks of pre op diet my BMI dropped quite a bit. keep us posted please.
My bmi is under 60 now as iv lost 22.5 lbs, as measured last night. Contacted another provider who use mr li, but price for hdu only 1129. They contacted his secretary to check dates & came back stating as id spoke to claire before they hoped i got date i wanted. Eg #wedontwanttogetinvolved Different company but pretty much scared to disrupt consultant. Weird.

Ring the Alex direct. Explain you'd been given a price for surgery and can they confirm hdu included if required.
Mine clearly says hdu is included in package if needed as does CY's.

Ring the Alex direct. Explain you'd been given a price for surgery and can they confirm hdu included if required.
Mine clearly says hdu is included in package if needed as does CY's.
Big issue with doing that is i believe only certain people deal with Mr li's special offer prices. Consultants have the hospitals by the nuts

I'm at work but I could see who my letter came from. Basically I'd be saying to claire you'd been told Alex packages include hdu if needed and know of two people it did. Happy to PM you my name and surgery date if that would be helpful? It's claire that fills the form in and send to Alex with the agreed price. The Alex got 4K and mr Li 3.5k of mine and t was broken down in invoice.

I'm at work but I could see who my letter came from. Basically I'd be saying to claire you'd been told Alex packages include hdu if needed and know of two people it did. Happy to PM you my name and surgery date if that would be helpful? It's claire that fills the form in and send to Alex with the agreed price. The Alex got 4K and mr Li 3.5k of mine and t was broken down in invoice.
Il wait & see what she comes up with, then take it from there. Whole thing madness

Frustrating and disappointing though. Ring Mr Li direct - have you got his mobile?

Frustrating and disappointing though. Ring Mr Li direct - have you got his mobile?
Hes in surgery all day so il wait & see what Claire. Maddening think is i contact a different company, yet they back off due to you speaking to consultants PA before. They must not like money lol

Claire just emailed. Said mr li is shocked too at price and has asked for 24 hours to speak to the Alex pay office as he is there tomorrow, so fingers crossed. I told her iv spoken to 2 sleeve patients who have op there recently who had Hdu in price included.

Thanks guys for all your help.

John

Back