• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

So is that your only nutrition source at min eg slimfast shakes? How many a day would you have?
It was mine - had to add about a third extra milk as it was too thick and some days couldn't manage all of it, so definitely no more than one a day.

They book you in for 2 hours but I wasn't more than an hour. You see the bariatric nurse and physio - latter does some tests and an exercise timed thing. Then bloods and an ecg then dietician. Mine was very smooth with no hanging around.

All good here. Had my 6 week check early due to Christmas with mr Li and he was really pleased with my progress. I see bariatric nurse and physio on 22nd. There's a support group that meets monthly so starting that in January. Weight is coming off steadily and I can see the changes. I'm in the soft food phase now which is good. Can't get more than 500 cals on and around 45g protein but it is improving. Not long to go now John.
Whats the exercise thing?

It was mine - had to add about a third extra milk as it was too thick and some days couldn't manage all of it, so definitely no more than one a day.
So basically you had a shake with extra milk, plus water each day? How many weeks did you do that?

So basically you had a shake with extra milk, plus water each day? How many weeks did you do that?

Something like that - it varied day to day whether I managed it all. I did that for two weeks until I went on to puree, which i introduced very slowly, so still had one occasionally, particularly if I was out as it was more portable. I really struggled to get the water in so got constipated which I eventually realised was more a taste thing rather than a restriction so wished I had started NAS squash earlier.

Hi @JOHNG79 im doing well thanks. Currently away at centre parcs with the kids and friends and having a ball.
I've not had the greatest couple of days fluid wise though as been so busy but will sort that when home tomorrow. My restriction is very tight and I'm not managing more than 7/8 teaspoons of whatever I'm having.

Xmas day plan to have some turkey 1 roast, veg, 1 pig in blanket and gravy on my side plate and see how I get on. Nervous as we've people for dinner who don't know and I really don't want to get into it with them.
How you doin?

@JOHNG79 - the exercise is how many knee lifts you can do in a minute. Physio does the same with you at each appointment to hopefully show increased fitness levels.

Hi @JOHNG79 im doing well thanks. Currently away at centre parcs with the kids and friends and having a ball.
I've not had the greatest couple of days fluid wise though as been so busy but will sort that when home tomorrow. My restriction is very tight and I'm not managing more than 7/8 teaspoons of whatever I'm having.

Xmas day plan to have some turkey 1 roast, veg, 1 pig in blanket and gravy on my side plate and see how I get on. Nervous as we've people for dinner who don't know and I really don't want to get into it with them.
How you doin?
Not too bad if im honest. Looking forward to xmas dinner as il have been on full diet for 4 weeks. Then back on it from boxing day. Cant believe how good i feel without drinking fizzy drinks since 27th november.

well just weighed myself. Tad disappointed as i only lost 2 1/4 lbs so grand total of 24 3/4 lbs gone. Was hoping of bit bigger as i plan to enjoy xmas day, before goin flat out on diet for final month.

Nearly 2 stone gone is no small achievement there @JOHNG79 :)

@MrsN @JOHNG79 At my consultation Mr Li said he and Professor Ammori like to do a really tight sleeve thats why we probably feel very full from a few sips of fluids, I'm still struggling with 1 to 1.5 bottles of slimfast and about 500ml of water/sugar free squash a day but I never feel hungry or have the slightest interest in food. Today i've tried a different brand of protein drink (USN fuel 50) it comes in a 500ml bottle and has 50g of ptotein, 16g carbs, 305 cals and it's fat free, it took me from lunchtime to 10pm to finish it. It was really nice but quite thick, maybe thats why it took so long to finish plus I dont have the dull tummy ache I got from the other brand I tried a couple of days ago so i'll probs buy more of it. I start on pureed food on Chrimmy eve, not sure what to try first as I don't seem to have an interest in food.

@FeeBee @MrsN what did you try first when you went on to pureed? I imagine my chrimmy dinner will be 1/2 pureed sprout, 1/2 pureed parsnip stick, 1/8 of pureed potato an inch piece of whizzed up turkey and a tablespoon of gravy, I feel full just thinking about all that food :D:D:D:D. I'll be happy to sit back and watch the rest of the family groan that they are too full and wished they'd not had that extra pig in blanket :).

@CYguy yep when I saw Mr Li last week he said my sleeve was the size of a sharpie pen!
In terms of purée I did soups (things like big tins of protein heavy soup blended up) and then puréed a few spoons of the family evening meal such as spag bol, stroganoff etc: only tiny amounts and didn't have pasta / rice you might normally serve with them. Also things like chicken, veg and gravy. I finish the soft food phase on Thursday and don't feel ready for normal food but seeing the dietician and bariatric nurse on Thursday so will chat to them then.

I had cheesy mash, blended soups with some marvel added to up the protein and cottage pie early on :)

How you getting on @CYguy post op?
@JOHNG79 hope pre op still going well

@MrsN sorry for the delay replying, hope all is going well. I'm doing good but for the last 24hrs I have been getting a stitch like pain under my ribs, left side. It started last night as I was walking around Asda but as soon as I sat down when I got back to the car it went. This morning I've been for a short walk and I got the same pain, again, as soon I I sat down the pain went. I've done a quick google search and apparently it's quite common this kind of pain. Maybe I shouldn't be lugging chrimmy presents around and shopping.

I am 15 days post op so I tried a bit of porridge but I found it too thick so thinned it out with some milk but I could only manage about 4-5 tspoons. I still have a protein drink each day but I'm not getting enough water in cuz I feel full all the time. What are your views on a cheeky little chrimmy drink....I was thinking about 100mls of red wine, I find it odd that I'm actually craving red wine as I usually drink white and I'm not a very big drinker anyway, but I would love a few sips of red lol.

@MrsN sorry for the delay replying, hope all is going well. I'm doing good but for the last 24hrs I have been getting a stitch like pain under my ribs, left side. It started last night as I was walking around Asda but as soon as I sat down when I got back to the car it went. This morning I've been for a short walk and I got the same pain, again, as soon I I sat down the pain went. I've done a quick google search and apparently it's quite common this kind of pain. Maybe I shouldn't be lugging chrimmy presents around and shopping.

I am 15 days post op so I tried a bit of porridge but I found it too thick so thinned it out with some milk but I could only manage about 4-5 tspoons. I still have a protein drink each day but I'm not getting enough water in cuz I feel full all the time. What are your views on a cheeky little chrimmy drink....I was thinking about 100mls of red wine, I find it odd that I'm actually craving red wine as I usually drink white and I'm not a very big drinker anyway, but I would love a few sips of red lol.
Yes, I know that pain, and it is because you haven't healed yet so you are stretching the wound if you do too much. Constipation does the same thing.

Your liver may object to the alcohol, particularly at this stage of your recovery - healing inside takes about 6 weeks. There are some interesting stories on this site of people's less than pleasant experiences. :( I was told 12 months before alcohol although not why, and it was reading stories on here that told me. If you are not getting the water in then alcohol will increase your dehydration so be aware you could have a very bad reaction and spoil the rest of your Christmas.

Saying that, at 3 months I am going to try a very tiny Baileys tonight, so can understand where you are coming from, but only a couple of sips.

afternoon guys. Christmas treat over & back on the good healthy train. Have pre op on 17th jan but still waiting on the financial letters coming. Hopefully just caught in xmas post.

How we all doing?

Back