• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

BMI 62, can I not get gastric bypass in uk!!

I saw him at Spire but actually had the surgery done at the Alex in Cheadle. Aftercare is the same but the cost is a lot less which sadly I needed to consider as self funding. He's lovely. He was Prof Ammori's junior for years and has taken over most of his private patients now. If cost is an issues talk to him about having it as the Alex.
I went in on Friday at 11.30 and was third on his list. I went down about 4.45 and was back in my room just after 8pm or so and went home about 5pm Saturday. I think I'm doing really well so far.
Ah thats great news you are doing well. Yeah sadly im self funding too. Discussed the alex option too, but think iv to go thru his secretary to arrange that. Told her date i want etc so just waiting on confirmation before book flights etc.

Did you go through his PA too or directly to alex in order to book etc?

Ah thats great news you are doing well. Yeah sadly im self funding too. Discussed the alex option too, but think iv to go thru his secretary to arrange that. Told her date i want etc so just waiting on confirmation before book flights etc.

Did you go through his PA too or directly to alex in order to book etc?

The price difference was over £2000 so it was a no brainier to me. I discussed it with him directly and we looked at dates then Claire his secretary booked it all in. The Alex then sent me a pre op date (3days before) and I paid for my surgery then. Are you flying to Manchester then?
I was able to stay in hospital a further night if I wanted to but I was feeling well enough to go home but they build a 2 night stay into the cost.

I didn't go via any company. My price includes 2 year aftercare and the Bari attic team at the Alex have been great so far, including dedicated nurses, physio and dietician.

Yeah flying to manchester, think theres a premier inn in cheadle so handy enough for the wife. Hate waiting on others doing things though haha eg for me to book hotel etc.

I didn't go via any company. My price includes 2 year aftercare and the Bari attic team at the Alex have been great so far, including dedicated nurses, physio and dietician.
Did they give you a specific diet to follow beforehand?

Did they give you a specific diet to follow beforehand?

Yes a low calorie one or a milk/yogurt one. I did the milk one as it was easier. It's all about shrinking the liver to make sure it's easier to operate.
The Alex was great and whilst Spire is lovely I would rather keep the 2k and spend it on clothes when I'm slim!!

Ah ok, so everything will be given from his PA eg diet stuff etc, then alex from 3 days beforehand

That's how it was for me. Have you seen him? He gave me the Spire book which had the LRD in it or discussed the milk diet with me.

That's how it was for me. Have you seen him? He gave me the Spire book which had the LRD in it or discussed the milk diet with me.
Seen mr Li yeah but cant go any further until his PA contacts me about dates, prices etc.

Seen mr Li yeah but cant go any further until his PA contacts me about dates, prices etc.

Just give her a call or email. She's lovely.
But she is inundadated at the minute due to Prof Ammori handed all over to Mr Li. Her name is Claire Richardson.

Yeah emailed last week but she was waiting on my file coming frm mr li. I know hes got consults today. Emailed her this morning so hopefully hear something in next 24/48 hours.

Hope you have the big relax on

Yeah emailed last week but she was waiting on my file coming frm mr li. I know hes got consults today. Emailed her this morning so hopefully hear something in next 24/48 hours.

Hope you have the big relax on

Yep sat with my feet up just trying to 'listen ' to my sleeve and work on what I can tolerate and what I can't. Trial and error really. It was about 3-4 weeks between my consultant and surgery date.

It looks like you've got some answers, but due to my high BMI I had to have a balloon first, and then once I'd lost some weight had the mini bypass.

Good luck going forward.

I had my consultation with Mr Li last night at Spire Manchester, I like him and have every confidence in him doing my procedure. I am 'penciled' in for 6th Dec at Spire, I'm now waiting for confirmation from his secretary but having read your post MrsN regarding the op. being cheaper at the Alex. I phoned Claire, Mr Li secretary to discuss the possibility/cost of having my sleeve done there, she will get back to me later today with the info. I'm starting my pre op. LSD diet tomorrow. Ideally I'd love to save some money but time isn't on my side as i'm going back to Cyprus in Jan and if I can't get a date for the Alex. before 10th Dec then I will stick to going into Spire.

JOHNG - Have you decided to go with Mr Li?

MrsN- how are you feeling now? Do you know why there is such a big difference in price between Spire and the Alex? My partner has used the Alex several times and has always been impressed with the staff/nurses, my mum also had her heart bypass there and we couldn't fault the care she was given so I have no objections to going there. Both the Spire and the Alex are only 10-15 mins from my home in Manchester.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time, can't wait to be in 34'' waist jeans instead of 46'' it's going to be a tough journey but I'm determined to be in those smaller jeans by this time next year :)

I had my consultation with Mr Li last night at Spire Manchester, I like him and have every confidence in him doing my procedure. I am 'penciled' in for 6th Dec at Spire, I'm now waiting for confirmation from his secretary but having read your post MrsN regarding the op. being cheaper at the Alex. I phoned Claire, Mr Li secretary to discuss the possibility/cost of having my sleeve done there, she will get back to me later today with the info. I'm starting my pre op. LSD diet tomorrow. Ideally I'd love to save some money but time isn't on my side as i'm going back to Cyprus in Jan and if I can't get a date for the Alex. before 10th Dec then I will stick to going into Spire.

MrsN- how are you feeling now? Do you know why there is such a big difference in price between Spire and the Alex? My partner has used the Alex several times and has always been impressed with the staff/nurses, my mum also had her heart bypass there and we couldn't fault the care she was given so I have no objections to going there. Both the Spire and the Alex are only 10-15 mins from my home in Manchester.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time, can't wait to be in 34'' waist jeans instead of 46'' it's going to be a tough journey but I'm determined to be in those smaller jeans by this time next year :)

Hi there.

In all honesty I've no idea. I know Mr Li's fee is the same no matter where he does the surgery. When you get your bill it's all broken down as what the surgeon gets and what you get. I know he only does them on a Friday at the Alex. I spoke to him for about an hour about the pros/cons of each hospital and in all honesty there was nothing in it. Mr Li said Spire Manchester is a centre of excellence for bariatric surgery but in my mind it's still him doing it. I have a 2 year after care package at the Alex which includes seeing him. My surgery was Friday and I saw him in recovery and he came in on Saturday to see me too. He de-briefed me on the op etc. I felt at ease with him. I paid £7500 at the Alex and was quoted £9450 at Spire. That's a lot of money!
I'm now on day 5 (Friday being op day and day 1) and I feel fine. Bit sore where the largest incision went in (where they remove the stomach) but nothing other than that. Still very much getting used to my new stomach and needed to rest as although I feel I've energy and can do stuff (you know cooking, washing cleaning etc) I keep giving myself a telling off.
Hopefully claire can sort something for you. Mr Li rang me himself and we agreed a date. Probably 3 weeks between consultation and op.
Best of luck!

Yeah i pretty much have. Just waiting on price, & then date to be finalised.

How you getting on guys?

MrsN how goes recovery?

cyguy any luck on the surgery date change? Hows diet going?

Hi JOHNG
After reading that MrsN saved some cash by going to the Alexander in Cheadle I phoned Claire, Mr Li's secretary, on Tuesday to get a price and the earliest date I could have the procedure at the Alex. I heard from Claire today that the cost would be £8000.00 (£7850.00 once the cost of consultation is taken off) and my sleeve could be done on Friday 9th Dec which I am really pleased about, I've have thought about going to the Alex all day and I've now decided to go there....no brainer really as the hospital is really good and it's still Mr Li that will be doing my procedure, plus it's a great saving of around £1500. The money saved will pay for flights from Cyprus back to Manchester for follow up apointments , a trip to Ferarri world in Abu Dhabi or for my two new Ragdolls kittens in my profile pic that I'll be collecting in Jan :) . Claire also assured me that even though Mr Li has only been using the Alex for the last few months the aftercare team there are great. All I have to do now is confirm with Claire that I'd like to book the 9th Dec at The Alexander.

I was going to start my pre op diet a couple days ago but was waiting for Claire to get back to me, now I've made up my mind that my surgery date will be 9th Dec I'll start the diet tomorrow. I think I'm going to do a combination of milk and no carbs diet .....milk/yoghurt for breakfast and lunch with chicken/fish and small portion of salad or veg for dinner, Mr Li recommended the food diet but I want a good weight loss/more liver shrinkage(if there's such a thing) so I'm combining the two LSD's for the next 3 weeks. I've just had my 'last Supper' 1/2 crispy duck with pancakes and a bottle of champagne

Keep me posted on your WLS journey

Hope everything is still going well with you MrsN

Hi JOHNG
After reading that MrsN saved some cash by going to the Alexander in Cheadle I phoned Claire, Mr Li's secretary, on Tuesday to get a price and the earliest date I could have the procedure at the Alex. I heard from Claire today that the cost would be £8000.00 (£7850.00 once the cost of consultation is taken off) and my sleeve could be done on Friday 9th Dec which I am really pleased about, I've have thought about going to the Alex all day and I've now decided to go there....no brainer really as the hospital is really good and it's still Mr Li that will be doing my procedure, plus it's a great saving of around £1500. The money saved will pay for flights from Cyprus back to Manchester for follow up apointments , a trip to Ferarri world in Abu Dhabi or for my two new Ragdolls kittens in my profile pic that I'll be collecting in Jan :) . Claire also assured me that even though Mr Li has only been using the Alex for the last few months the aftercare team there are great. All I have to do now is confirm with Claire that I'd like to book the 9th Dec at The Alexander.

I was going to start my pre op diet a couple days ago but was waiting for Claire to get back to me, now I've made up my mind that my surgery date will be 9th Dec I'll start the diet tomorrow. I think I'm going to do a combination of milk and no carbs diet .....milk/yoghurt for breakfast and lunch with chicken/fish and small portion of salad or veg for dinner, Mr Li recommended the food diet but I want a good weight loss/more liver shrinkage(if there's such a thing) so I'm combining the two LSD's for the next 3 weeks. I've just had my 'last Supper' 1/2 crispy duck with pancakes and a bottle of champagne

Keep me posted on your WLS journey

Hope everything is still going well with you MrsN

Good decision! You'll see when you go for pre op that the care is very good as you meet the team then.
I was well looked after during my stay and if I'd wanted I could've stayed an extra night included in the price.
I only paid 7.5k though!

Back