• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering banding with THG - support needed

Tracey1404

Enjoyin' my journey....
Hi folks
In trying to join this site i found i was already registered, dating back to 2009 when I lost 3st on the Cambridge diet. I put that back on + 2 stone - the CD was the culmination of 10 years yo yo dieting. It sort of did me good realising I was already registered, helping me see that perhaps a band is necessary after all!!

I had consultation on Saturday, and I am due to confirm whether I wish to proceed at some point this week. I am privately funding as NHS will take 2-3 years with no promise of an op at the end, and I cannot wait for my BMI to go any higher. Grateful for any words of advice or support you may have.

ps please ignore ticker below - it is from my Cambridge Diet days, now edited so shouldn't appear on my next post!!!

Hi Tracey and welcome!

You will get loads of support on here no matter what you decide to do.

I had a band and it worked for me! xx

Welcome. I and lots of others have been banded at Dolan Park. Varying experiences ... But mine has been brilliant. Good luck ... Time to look after yourself and look forward :D

Hi Tracey, I just got my gastric band on saturday with the Hospital group and I cannot fault them at all. My surgeon was fantastic and for me this surgery was last chance saloon. I have been there, done that, bought the tshirt and sold it on ebay! I have been dieting for over 26 years and all it has ever gotten me is larger and larger and larger...but I am sure you know the story right? Last year I went for a consultation but changed my mind. I though I can do this on my own, and I do not fancy all the complications that can come with WLS. Then new year came and went, then we were coming into June and I though. Well that worked didnt it? Doing it on my own, another summer at the heaviest I have ever been! So something just snapped and I though I have to look at this lap band business with a positive attitude. I have to read and watch (youtube) people who have had success, I have to be a cup half full about it and I have to try something in my life I have never tried before.
So I picked up the phone, booked another consultation, told my family that is it! I have made up my mind, no going back and I am, I'm not, I am, I'm not! I just though I am taking this bull by the horns and going for it! And tada!!! :) Here I am 2 days post op in little pain and so so sooooo glad I went for it!
My surgeon, my anethatist (sorry about spelling) my nurses, my room, my recovery it all went text book and I am so glad I choose them and that I choose Mr El Hasani.
Last year my head was not in the right place for such surgery but oh boy it was a month ago.
So for me I cannot recommend them enough, my experience thus far as been fantastic! I can call any time with any questions and feel I am really been looked after.
I hope for you that you find the information and advice you are looking for.
I have to say also the people on this forum have been fantastic in answering my silly pre op question and the support and encouragment has been much appreciated.
I hope you come to the decision that is right for you because when I finally made the decision I know it was all guns blazing for me and lets get this ''show on the road'' :)

Good luck and welcome! :)

Hello there

I had band for almost 2 years and never regretted it one bit - I lost all my access weight within 10 months and have been maintaining ever since. Wishing you all the best on what you decide. Julie x

Hi, I made the call to Thg mid may an had my band fitted at Dolan park on 12th June :-o nice and quick. The surgeon was lovely dr halstead, really relaxed and put me at ease. The anaesthetist was really friendly. The ladies who walked to surgery with me and sat with me while we waited were great. I've healed brilliantly and was back to nearly normal after about a week and a half. My only downside has been they forgot about me and I haven't received one phone call since the op, but a lot of other people had a call after a day or two to see how they were. That's very inconsistent and I would have liked that reassuring call from them to see how I was. But I got my support from on here! :) asking if things were right that I was feeling and everyone was so helpful. They didn't tell me any of my appointments either yet they had them booked in. I had to chase them for that info. Also I needed medical advice on a Saturday morning and was seriously frustrated with them when I rang the hospital asking to speak to a nurse. The receptionist said I would have to speak to my local clinic for advice and they were shut!! So she said no one could help me. Hmmmm this is a receptionist sat on a desk in a hospital?!?! But if it had been urgent I would have persisted. But that aside I'm not dissapointed that I chose Thg. I'm glad it was so speedy and I am on my way now. My surgeon works for the nhs too as I think alot of private surgeons do, so the main difference is the aftercare period. I would recommend them, just don't expect alot of contact from them. But really if you follow the info in the booklet you can't go far wrong. I met some lovely nurses at that hospital and only one that I would have rather not met. They were really friendly and helpful on the day.
Good luck with your decision x

I had my band fitted by THG on 17 June. Very happy with everything so far. Dietician today and then first fill in two weeks. They gave me 4ml in a 10ml band at the time of procedure. Dolan Park experience was very good - felt very well looked after and my surgeon was Mr Li.

I also went with THG, banded in May. Feel free to read my diary :) Not sure how to link but it's in WLS Diaries, the title is "I hear sheep".

Hi all, can u have ur post op appointments somewhere else? I live in the south east and far from Dolan park!? Thx Paul

Yes the ops are performed at Dolan park but they have around twenty nurses who travel to other locations so I am sure there are dieticians elsewhere too ... Email the or pick up the phone and I am sure they will advise u ... :)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I had my dietician appointment by phone and my fill at one of their London clinics. It was fairly convenient even if I had to make some arrangements for it.

That's good! Apparently they provide transport to Birmingham but I wonder at what cost? It's about 4 hrs from me!

My advisor said that's for anywhere in the uk. Definately worth it. I got a lift there and back and stayed in a hotel. It would have been just as cheap to use the driver.

I went with thg in may. The only problem I have with them is the support after! It's lacking somewhat. If it wasn't for this site I'd have been lost! If you ring to ask a question you dont get an answer for 2 days... Very frustrating!!! I think I really under estimated how much emotional support I'd need. I've thought a few times I should have had it abroad for £3k (?) less. I wouldn't let it put you off them, it's just I don't feel you get your monies worth, although they are good!!! Anyways good luck and best wishes x

Back