• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you keep your surgery a secret?

Fizzpot

Hello again all, I'm in for my consultation tomorrow only my chap and best friend know about my plans of surgery, I'm not sure why I don't want anyone to know yet, has anyone else felt like that ? Should I wait till after my surgery to tell people? It's just I don't want anyone to put a downer on it and try and change my mind. Anyone felt similar? Xx

I was like that, I still find it very hard being open about my surgey now.....

I think I may leave it closer too the time then tell them , I know they won't be happy if I don't tell them till after surgery ahhh x

I've told a lot of people but only because they asked why I was at hospital so often but have had 1 or 2 bad comments about it so I haven't told everyone Xx

I have told quite a few people I plan to have bariatric surgery and they have all been supportive. All the people i have told all know I have dieted for 20 odd years with good results then put it all and more back on! To be honest it's your life and body and it's got nothing to do with anybody else. Xx

Thanks everyone , I've always struggled with my weight and like you lose it then put more on, I've struggled with bulemia on and off and I'm getting help for that too but the surgery is the way forward for me. I need to be normal for my little boy n chap, I'm still quite young and I can't see my life getting any better unless I have the surgery x

I have only told my boyfriend and my son. Its no one elses business and I know my family will disapprove. I dont want anyone raining on my parade xxx

I Agree with you. I am at the very start of my journey and really hope I make it to the surgery. I have been to a seminar with the surgeon and my doc has referred me for a weight management course for 12 weeks. I am also a smoker so see the nurse on Wednesday to stop coz my surgeon won't operate if you smoke (understandable). My husband has also agreed to stop with me ( we will see lol). Good luck with your journey xxx

I told everyone! My work had a leaving drink for my stomach. Lol. But, you need to do what feels right. I just knew myself and I would forget who I told and who i didn't. Lol

I told everyone! My work had a leaving drink for my stomach. Lol. But, you need to do what feels right. I just knew myself and I would forget who I told and who i didn't. Lol
yeah ive told everyone too lol some have been supportive, some not, especially my daughter, shes dead set against it and is convinced im gonna die :rolleyes: xxx

I only told my mum, my kids and my cousin who looked after the kids! It took a few days to convince my mum and kids as they were scared but they were 110% supportive. My BFF also knows who has a band - who encouraged me all the way....

The only reason I have told no one else was simply as I was not and am still not prepared to 'justify' what I have done.

I didnt want anyone elses opinion and still dont.

All the support and advice I need is on here and the rest is about getting on with my life :)

However, it really is down to the individual - just go with the flow hun xx

Hi,
People have known about my plans from day 1, and I can honestly say that I have not had one bad comment....I even mentioned it in a job interview that I went for, although I was advised not to mention it, coz it would harm my chances of getting the job !... Long story short, I got the job ! ( and that was when I was at my heaviest !!) ... My work colleagues are some of the nicest people I have come across, always supportive asking how I am doing , offering me their old clothes that they can no longer fit into ( saves me a fortune, as I am 3 months post op, and nearly 6 stone lighter !! )..
But at the end of the day , do what feels right for you, coz it's your body, your business , and people should respect your choices no matter what you decide. Good luck. X

Hi ive only told my mum and dad, had my band 6 days ago. some days i want to scream it from the roof tops but mostly im glad ive kept it to myself but might tell folk at a later date, im still undecided. its up to you who you tell and when. good luck with everthing Hx

Thanks everyone, I'm sitting in the reception waiting for my consultation, will let you all know how I get on, thanks again x

woohoo good luck fizz :) xxx

I only told my nearest and dearest very few others knew until afterwards it was very personal to me and if any one comments now about how much weight i v lost i tell them i'v had an op and wouldn't have managed to lose without it. Ididn't want to tempt fate by telling everyone would av been gutted if i had been refused, good luck feels bit daunting at the moment but youy'll get there x

Yes it's very daunting , just been in the consultation, surgeon very friendly which helped, I've got a week to eat my fave meals then it's my pre op diet, starting to feel real now thanks everyone again xx

Brilliant news well done you're on your way now xx good luck just keep your eyes on the future n do what you have to to get there. xx

Ive told my husband, my overweight friend at work ( who understands) and my bookkeeper who looks after me like a daughter. I haven't told any of my family as they are big worriers and I didn't want anyone else judging me. I have simply said I am having an op on my hernia which is true as they are fixing that at the same time I just neglected to mention my little band friend! I am normally very candid about everything in my life, some say I have no filter but this is different. I suspect I will tell people in time but for now I prefer it to be just the three is us

Back