• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you keep your surgery a secret?

At the moment, my feelings are that I am not going to tell anyone other than my children, that I am having the Bypass. Everyone else will be told that I have had my gall bladder removed (which isn't exactly a lie either). My situation is different in that I recently had pancreatitis and was extremely ill. As a consequence, I have to have my gall bladder removed. The surgeon wanted to do it almost immediately but I insisted that we wait to see if I get my funding approved for the bypass. The way I see it is that I have to go under the anaesthetic anyway and it's the same keyhole surgery - so I'd rather do it all at once.
I may change my mind after the op, but I am so fed up of reading and listening to people in the media etc who assume that WLS is an easy way out and make all sorts of judgements about the decision to have it and to be honest I can't be bothered with judgemental attitudes.

I agree entirely Jamast. I have had lots of problems in the past with my hernia and it has provided a good cover story. I feel mean not telling everyone the truth but at the end of the day it's a private thing and personal choice. I do a lot of pr, charity and profile work in my profession and want to be known for my skills rather than everyone talking about the band. Just need to think of a cover story for the weight loss......

Hiya. Haven't had my bypass yet and from the looks of it, it will be awhile but I'd like to give my input if that's alright.

The majority of my friends/family aren't from around here and truth be told, they haven't seen me in a very very long time so it's a bit hard to explain to them that I have gotten into the situation I am now, the size I am now, hopeless as I am now.

Having said that, I've been completely open about my surgery plans. I've actually made it a point to point it out with no shame at all.

I see no reason to hide any of it. On the inside, I'm the same person I've always been, it's only the outside that has changed over the years and well, this surgery is the first big step in getting me back to the person I feel I am. Why would I be hesitant in admitting I need help? If they don't like it, if they mock, screw em :)

Azazel said:
Hiya. Haven't had my bypass yet and from the looks of it, it will be awhile but I'd like to give my input if that's alright.

The majority of my friends/family aren't from around here and truth be told, they haven't seen me in a very very long time so it's a bit hard to explain to them that I have gotten into the situation I am now, the size I am now, hopeless as I am now.

Having said that, I've been completely open about my surgery plans. I've actually made it a point to point it out with no shame at all.

I see no reason to hide any of it. On the inside, I'm the same person I've always been, it's only the outside that has changed over the years and well, this surgery is the first big step in getting me back to the person I feel I am. Why would I be hesitant in admitting I need help? If they don't like it, if they mock, screw em :)

That's good ! I'm not ashamed of it either to be honest, but I don't want people mentioning it all the time if that makes sense, my partner paid for it so he knows lol - I have told my mom n siblings and my grandad and two friends but not all my friends. It's next week scary stuff !!
I hope your bypass date comes through soon :) xx

No, I;m not ashamed either. The way I see it is that you don't really need a cover story for weight loss. Even with a bypass it still takes a couple of years for someone of my size to lose the weight - so what's wrong with just telling people that you're dieting? After all, thats exactly what we're all doing - we just have a bit more support than usual.

Only person i've not told is my mother. She's in her 70s worries like hell over the least little thing plus I don't live in same area as her so thinking of telling after the event

i told everyone that would listen hun i told the world on my facebook and even the lady at the check out at asda but now 8 weeks after my opp i wished i had NOT told many people coz now everyone i see says how good im looking and how much weight ive lost and i think they are just saying it coz they know ive had my opp if i didnt tell everyone then i would know if they said it then they really do mean it but it is very hard not to shout about it hun x

I disagree Sammy, there is a massive difference in your pics. People would have to be blind not to notice.

I disagree Sammy, there is a massive difference in your pics. People would have to be blind not to notice.

im sure u r right but i really cant see if yet oh i feel great but still see a really really fat person when i look at my self im hoping that will change with time x

I've now told my close family, a couple of very close friends.

My mother and sister are also big, but no where near as large as me. My mother told me she was glad I was doing something as she feared that I would have been dead in a few years if I had not.

The mods and admin team on another forum I moderate know I was going to have stomach surgery, I've dropped little hints since of what it was including a link to the recent Horizon show featuring my surgeon, but no one has seemed to have added it up.

My fear is that as people already think, incorrectly, that big people are lazy they will think that I've taken the cheats way out.

Back