• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SURGERY SECRET

Yip I had my op on 16 October 2014. So far it has been okay, but I am struggling to know when I am full.

Just dying for something to chew on.

I had the roux-en Y gastric bypass.

Apparently its something to do with the damage tongue nerves during the surgery, but overtime they will heal and then I should be able to tell.

From what I have read, it does happen to a few people.

Hello Sepham,
Just wondered where you are having your NHS surgery as you live in Romford hope you don't mind me asking!

Hello Sepham, Just wondered where you are having your NHS surgery as you live in Romford hope you don't mind me asking!

I had it done at Homerton Bariatric Hospital.

Hi lookingforabetterme!.... I had the MGB ( mini gastric bypass) 4 weeks ago this Friday!... Doing okay so far! But quite tired, I'm not managing to eat much at all as yet but confident that will change lol.... 17lbs lost so far since opp.

And.... I'm sure your mum is happy to listen to you!.. Mums always are! It's a big deal and you need to be able to discuss it!... Fears and excitement! :)

Hi lookingforabetterme!.... I had the MGB ( mini gastric bypass) 4 weeks ago this Friday!... Doing okay so far! But quite tired, I'm not managing to eat much at all as yet but confident that will change lol.... 17lbs lost so far since opp.

That's brill, you must be sooo happy. What's the difference between the mini bypass and the normal one?

That's brill, you must be sooo happy. What's the difference between the mini bypass and the normal one?

There is quite a big difference as to how the bypass part is done... With mine there is only one join in the intestine and the other has 2. It takes less time also. There are images on the internet if you want to compare them. The results are supposed to be similar re weight loss but it is a safer opp I think and as I'm 52 I thought it would be better for me. Lol.... It only takes 30-40 mins and sorter stay in hospital but fewer surgeons offer it in the UK. There are some ladies on here that have had in on the NHS as their surgeons prefer it but I went privately to Brussels.... There are pros and cons for both so it takes some research to work out what's best for you if your going down the bypass route. :)

Now I understand the difference too.

I also was not sure what a mini was.

I've kept my band a complete secret. My husband knows but nobody else. I don't live near my family and only see them every few months.
I'm quite private about a lot of things and I felt that the constant calls from family around the time of surgery and then the requests for updates would bother me.

I 100% don't regret my decision and really don't think I'll ever change my mind. If anyone asks me how I did it, I'll tell them the truth and say I'm eating a lot less and exercising a lot more. I just won't volunteer anything beyond that.

Thank you Lumpee for your remarks. I'm glad i'm not the only one wanting things kept secret. I work in a very gossipy (and judgemental) office so I have only told my immediate family. My best friend works with a number of people who have had WLS and she's so critical of their eating patterns that I cant bear the thought of her judging me in the same way

I did Cambridge diet about 5 years ago and lost around 8st (have put 5 st back) so I've told people I'm back on it so that way I can justify the rapid weight loss and avoid food situations. The down side to it is because I work with a very small team I'm planning to take leave rather than go on the sick......
So from today its 14 more sleeps before surgery

Thank you Lumpee for your remarks. I'm glad i'm not the only one wanting things kept secret. I work in a very gossipy (and judgemental) office so I have only told my immediate family. My best friend works with a number of people who have had WLS and she's so critical of their eating patterns that I cant bear the thought of her judging me in the same way

I did Cambridge diet about 5 years ago and lost around 8st (have put 5 st back) so I've told people I'm back on it so that way I can justify the rapid weight loss and avoid food situations. The down side to it is because I work with a very small team I'm planning to take leave rather than go on the sick......
So from today its 14 more sleeps before surgery

My banding was done in March 2113 and I decided then that my wife would be the only one to know. I have no regrets whatsoever. It has not been difficult at all and I have never told anyone a lie.There are many things whether personal, financial or indeed medical that are nobody else's business but mine! My wife has been absolutely supportive throughout but when I've needed extra support I have found it here on this forum getting advice and help from people who know what they are talking about as opposed to well meaning friends and family who are always prepared to give you their opinion from their skinny viewpoint.

My banding was done in March 2113 and I decided then that my wife would be the only one to know. I have no regrets whatsoever. It has not been difficult at all and I have never told anyone a lie.There are many things whether personal, financial or indeed medical that are nobody else's business but mine! My wife has been absolutely supportive throughout but when I've needed extra support I have found it here on this forum getting advice and help from people who know what they are talking about as opposed to well meaning friends and family who are always prepared to give you their opinion from their skinny viewpoint.

I time warp?

and I whole heartedly agree that these forums have been an invaluable tool for me even before I was a member, and just looking for information.

I have only told hubby and grown-up children, as I do not want or need any negative responses! People at work seem to have decided between them that I have had a hysterectomy! That's fine with me!! Nobody else's business is it? We have enough to deal with.

Back