• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Em's Tummy Tuck

Don't do to much honey, or it will be one step fwd and ten back. I'm nearly four weeks out and still have not hoovered or pegged washing out... Kids lift every thing heavier than a bag of sugar. You will love your knew shape once everything settles.

I found that the other pain killers gave me heartburn and made me want to up chuck ... As for number two pain killers block u big style

Take care of you all the best Vicki xxx

Morning all,

Hubby changed my dressings for me yesterday and it makes me laugh! It looks and sounds like I have a nappy on!

Looking at the wounds the left drain hole is healing very nicely, however it was oozing quite a bit to start with. The right one is still going slightly but hopefully it will have stopped by the time I have them changed at hospital on Wednesday. We bought some steristrips for the ones which cover the scar line but it was painful enough taking off the fabric dressings as they were stuck to all the tiny invisible hairs! So we thought we should leave that to the professionals! They should be removing the stitches from my tummy button so that's going to be nice to see.

Sleeping well, although I cannot wait to feel comfortable enough to sleep on my side again! I'm standing fairly straight but I'm sleeping with pillows still under my knees just to be on the safe side.

Walking is proving a little more difficult as I'm still getting the shooting pain on the inside of my knee so I'm bending my leg and walking with a slight limp. It only happens when I straighten my leg, regardless of whether I'm lying or standing. I'm keeping my stockings on too just to be sure.

I've been taking loads of pictures so when the dressings are changed I may put up a before and after. Eeeeeeeeeek!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Evening all,

Had my dressings changed today and I was in two minds about it. On one hand I was really looking forward to it and couldn't wait and on the other I just didn't think I could face it.

You see, this morning, my tummy button started to smell. I mean badly. I pulled my 'nappy' dressings down at the top to reveal the small square dressing over the tummy button. I whipped that off as fast as the pain of pulling the invisible hairs would allow and saw that my tummy button was covered in a brown/yellow gunk. Bleurgh! The smell was so strong and pungent. I was so desperate to try and clean it but was scared that if it was an infection I really didn't want to make it worse. I changed the small, square dressing and thought that it would be ok as my appointment to get the dressings changed was this afternoon. But as the day progressed, to me anyway, it was getting worse. We got to the hospital and I hobbled with my dodgy nerve trapped knee to the Plastic Dressings Clinic. I could smell my tummy button the whole time and couldn't help but think everyone else could too!

The Nurse called me in about 20 mins late and I told her about it. She took my 'nappy' off and said that my scar was healing nicely, and that part of it had already completely healed. Pretty good there! She came to the tummy button and to my surprise she said it was all fine. She removed the stitches, cleaned me up and popped on some new dressings.

I'm glad that's all done as it's a huge weight lifted .

thats good news that ur button is healing... my fear when i had mine was my tummy button... i was so convinved it was gonna get infected and i would end up having a manky looking one lol.. tho it took alot longer to heal than the rest..well that and a section on the side ..i never thought it would heal but it did...

happy healing x

Thanks Clio!

I managed to sleep on my sides last night for the first time since the night before the op! HEAVEN!! I was nervous about trying it but as the Nurse said everything was going well I thought I'd give it a go. I put a large pillow between my legs to ease the pressure but oh it felt amazing to be kind of normal! I was out like a light and I've woken up feeling that was the best sleep I've had for ages!

:-D

can remember it well.. my surgeon said it was ok for me to sleep on my side from the off... but i had other ideas... i couldnt even try it let alone get into that position!! but when i did...arhhhhhhh bliss.....another milestone over..

x

Hi all,

I took all my bandages off this morning and was cleaning my scar line which felt so good! Lol! I started taking photos and touched my tummy and suddenly got the feeling that somethings not right.

Going back to the seminar the Nurse said that if we develop a seroma (collection of fluid under the skin) it has the same look and feel as water in a hot water bottle. I'd thought up until this point I was just more swollen on one side or they hadn't taken enough from there but now I know.

So it's back off to hospital for me...

:'-(

Aw poor thing, let us know how u get on. For mine they wouldn't drain it they said body would reabsorbed it, but some surgeons do drain off excess. Gd luck em tc x

Hi all,

Just got back from the hospital and the Doctors there confirmed there is fluid. :-(
What they've said is that because it's not a massive singular lump and it's across the whole of the front of my tummy then the best thing is to leave it to absorb back into my body which will probably take a few weeks to do. :-( They recommended I leave my bandages off now so my scars can get air, however my left side is quite raised and bumpy so I got them to put one small one over that area, and one over my tummy button as it's quite dry and didn't want it catching on my compression garment. They also gave me a weeks course of Co-Amoxiclav antibiotics just to ensure no infection takes hold.

*Sigh!*

Better to be safe Hun...... I'm back to the surgeon on Monday eve :-( doesn't think he can do anything thou xxx :-( cry cry cry xxxx

It sounds like on the whole you are healing up really well Ems. Sorry to hear about the fluid buy hopefully it will do a they predict and just reabsorb. Must be so frustrating when you want to see your new tum in all its glory though!

Take care,

Debs xx

hope ur feeling better soon x

Thanks Everyone.

I guess I just have to literally wait and see and lets face it, I'm not even 2 weeks post op yet and I went into this knowing I could develop complications of any sort. It's not painful but I can feel it moving and it puts extra weight and pressure on my tummy in bed, hence the pillow as I put in one of my last few posts. I just feel a little down as I hope it doesn't get any worse and I just wish I didn't have it!

Best wishes for Monday Tink. Let us know how it goes.

Hi all,

Me again!

I know it's late and I didn't sleep well last night and not doing so tonight as I'm quite panicky about this fluid build up. Beforehand (post-op) I would look at my tummy and see that my left side was larger than my right but now they have evened out. It's getting to the point that it doesn't even look like I've had anything done as I'm so full of it and it's getting me down. I have already called the Ward I was on and they told me to go to A&E who told me just to leave it. I've read posts and webpages that state some fluid build ups can take a year to go down! A YEAR?!?! I don't know whether to call the Surgeon's Secretary to try and bring my appointment with him forward? Or do I go back to A&E and sit there for however many hours and be a little stronger to get them to do something about it. They said beforehand that they wouldn't touch it as it's not like a swollen lump or isolated area but it goes across the whole of my tummy so why should that matter?

I'm only for weeks out, I'm swollen as well give it time. Rest a little drink lots and walk a little..... Little steps make a huge huge difference. Yesterday I could fit in my clothes this morning it's tights and uncomfortable. Stick with it.

Hi Ems

I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to panic. It's still such early days and I think you have to give your body a chance to do what it needs to do. I can totally understand how frustrating it is and how your patience must be wearing thin, especially after waiting so darn long for your surgery to come around. I do remember the nurse saying at our seminar that having the seroma drained is a big infection risk though, and unless it's infected already or causing severe discomfort I expect they will adopt the 'wait and see' strategy for a while yet.

I found out myself today that there is a danger in googling medical problems....I was looking up a problem with my foot and the responses which came back suggested all sorts of things ranging from athletes foot to full-blown herpes! I suppose what I'm getting at is that is that the internet can be very misleading and we can only trust in the medical staff who have seen us personally because it's all so subjective.

I think Tinks is right, that you need to try to take it easy and rest up to give yourself a chance to mend. Having said that, if it's really stressing you out maybe it's worth phoning the Clinical Nurse who took our seminar? She seemed lovely and was very approachable so i'm sure she would be able to listen to your concerns and put your mind at rest.

Thinking of you and wishing you a quick recovery.

Debs xx

Morning Ladies,

I do just feel so crappy about it. Funny you should mention the Nurse who took the Seminar because she was the lady who changed my dressings last week. I mentioned to her about my swelling and she had a feel and said I was fine.

I've called the Ward again this morning and got through to a really lovely woman who, instead of just telling me to go to A&E, took the time to ask me questions and he also took my number as she said she's going to speak to someone from my Consultants team for advice.

I'll let you know what's said when I get the call back.

Hello All,

The Nurse phoned me back and has now booked me in to see someone in Clinic tomorrow afternoon. :-(

It does feel really uncomfortable. And I'm feeling even worse because I got told I look pregnant AGAIN and I have the 'near to drop' waddle. :'-(

Hi all,

What a waste of time. I drove all the way from Hampshire to SW London to be told exactly the same as the last hospital. They won't drain it and it's going to take months to go down naturally.

I'm so upset.

Back