• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

female surgeon

marz

Can anyone recommend a female surgeon for gastric sleeve? I'm quite prudish and though convinced I need the surgery I can't get past a man touching me.

siana58

No recommendations I'm afraid, but you are limiting your options somewhat by your choice. Dare say you can only insist on the gender of your surgeon if you are self funding

los in it

I have to agree with sian I'm guessing that this field is full of men and some women. My surgeon was a women her name is on my side bar profile and she was lovely but I wouldn't have cared who performed my surgery as once in knocked out there is a bunch of folk making sure I'm OK with my fat body, naked on a bed! Last point the men that perform this and any other surgery just see a body that needs his or her help they are not thinking about how your boobs look or any scares you have or anything like that
Good luck in your quest

Last edited:

sundown

Can anyone recommend a female surgeon for gastric sleeve? I'm quite prudish and though convinced I need the surgery I can't get past a man touching me.

Marz. Going to give you some tough love here....you need to get over it. If you're NHS you will have zero choice at all and if you're private, even if you can find a female surgeon, you will essentially be throwing your money away over a false hope because it's a lot more than just the surgeon who'll see bits of your body. There will be the anaesthetist, the theatre nurses (there were 2 of those for me) and then the nurses back on the ward who'll be doing things like changing your dressings. If you have any choice in surgeon the only things that should be of concern are their performance and experience at bariatric surgery.

All of us going for WLS are obviously light years away from body beautiful but honestly, once you're pumped up with drugs and woozy the very last thing on your mind is who's going to see what. They do try and preserve your dignity, but at the end of the day they've got to get to your mid-riff.

Butterfly_lady

I self funded my surgeon was a man there were 3 theatre nurses (that I saw when I went in) and 1 of those was a young man, to get a 100% female surgery team would be very difficult I'd think.
Also if you ever had to be rushed to hospital due to an accident or something what then?

Southdubliner

I fully agree with sundown. Although being a male, I really can't have same feelings as female, but by the end of the day, its the Surgeon's skills and not the gender that matters.

potter

Sorry Marz I do understand your anxieties and I had some of the same feelings. Both my surgeon and anaesthetist were male and they were lovely and very respectful. Even if you find a female surgeon it is likely that others in the theatre will be male. All surgeons have junior teams that rotate regularly. At the time of my op my surgeons junior doctor that assisted him happened to be female but this really is pure luck down to the timing of the op. Your only hope of all female stAff would be Togo private and make this a condition of your contract. It would be difficult for a provider to organise but money talks and it might be possible though I think it would be likely to cost you a premium on top of normal cost. On the NHS I agree with others there's no chance females could be guaranteed. Maybe if you met and got to know your male surgeon you'd feel more comfortable ?

Potter x

kurstywursty

The Nuffield in Glasgow has a female bariatric surgeon. I was under her for my second band op. She operated with another surgeon. Her NHS area will be SCOTLAND. Her name is miss steele

I'm going to put it out there - I'm a lesbian. And a man touching me really doesn't appeal. But when it came to life-changing gastric surgery I didn't care whether it was a man, a woman or even a bear doing it to be honest - it needed to be done. A surgeon is a surgeon - you're practically a gender-less human being to them and they will treat you with the utmost respect, no matter the gender. You will not remember them looking at you as you will be knocked out - it will be a black hole in your memory until you wake up.

So - a bit of tough love like the others - you're going to have to get over it. There are few female gastric surgeons out there, and you're very very unlikely to be able to ask for one if you're NHS. Your odds may increase if you go private but I wouldn't count on it.

Last edited:

kurstywursty

Ok. Going to be totally honest with folks too. Yes the team are totally respectful. But this time my surgery was emergency. I had no paper knickers i Even three days later I was showering the surgical wipe from my chest to my thighs and all places In between

While your out - your naked at some point. The gown is off and the surgical sheet is placed

Get over it guys xxxxxx

Kar8858

I'm going to put it out there - I'm a lesbian. And a man touching me really doesn't appeal. But when it came to life-changing gastric surgery I didn't care whether it was a man, a woman or even a bear doing it to be honest - it needed to be done. A surgeon is a surgeon - you're practically a gender-less human being to them and they will treat you with the utmost respect, no matter the gender. You will not remember them looking at you as you will be knocked out - it will be a black hole in your memory until you wake up.

So - a bit of tough love like the others - you're going to have to get over it. There are few female gastric surgeons out there, and you're very very unlikely to be able to ask for one if you're NHS. Your odds may increase if you go private but I wouldn't count on it.

This made me chuckle?!? They must do things differently in Cheshire! What sort of touching do you get there? I got my belly prodded and that was it in Yorkshire! I feel a bit left out now....
Believe me once you get your stockings and party pants on and have an enema there's no room left for embarrassment..oh and then you get to use a commode the first night after surgery if you are lucky! Chose a surgeon based on reputation is my advice and good luck!!

Aw Kar - I'm sure you didn't miss out on anything. But saying that, I was unconscious so I can't confirm or deny the level of poking that took place!! :D

Bear

I think when a lady gets to a certain age, we've been poked, prodded,and felt in various places by every type of medical professional going. I know I have. A few gynae issues and 2 kids and you're lying on that table shouting 'anyone else want to have a look?'

In all seriousness though, does having a man or woman make me any less conscious? I don't think it matters. It's an unpleasant experience but you gotta do it.

violetangel

Marz. Going to give you some tough love here....you need to get over it. If you're NHS you will have zero choice at all and if you're private, even if you can find a female surgeon, you will essentially be throwing your money away over a false hope because it's a lot more than just the surgeon who'll see bits of your body. There will be the anaesthetist, the theatre nurses (there were 2 of those for me) and then the nurses back on the ward who'll be doing things like changing your dressings. If you have any choice in surgeon the only things that should be of concern are their performance and experience at bariatric surgery. All of us going for WLS are obviously light years away from body beautiful but honestly, once you're pumped up with drugs and woozy the very last thing on your mind is who's going to see what. They do try and preserve your dignity, but at the end of the day they've got to get to your mid-riff.

I think Sundown is spot on and I agree with her entirely. You will be out of it and won't remember a thing anyway!!

Try not to focus on the surgeons skills and what they can do for you and good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

violetangel

Sorry meant to say try to focus on the surgeons skills and experience and what they can do for you!! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

marz

I didn't realize there was a need to be completely naked. I think I need to think about this more carefully.

niccie

Marz, I kept my own pants on and they stayed on throughout the op. Most of my surgical team were male but friendly and caring. The head nurse afterwards was male and just lovely. If you have particular religious reasons or personal reasons this is a problem talk to your team and I think they will try and help. Good luck x

marz

Marz, I kept my own pants on and they stayed on throughout the op. Most of my surgical team were male but friendly and caring. The head nurse afterwards was male and just lovely. If you have particular religious reasons or personal reasons this is a problem talk to your team and I think they will try and help. Good luck x

There are religious reasons although it's ok in necessity.It would be private route so I could ask. The surgeon I like so far is male and it should be my first time exposed in that way in anyone's presence. I guess I'm now questioning whether it's a necessity.

niccie

I understand that, especially if your beliefs are strong and important. Perhaps a female could take your gown off, pants on still and cover you with the surgical sheet. I really do think a decent team will help. I was sleeved privately in August in uk by professor Amori, worth looking him up. I would also think that this is something they may have come across before. Good luck and it won't hurt to ask.