• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

female surgeon

Speak to your Dr I think it needs more in depth thought. have you tried other weight loss routes? It seems like Your not 100% and haven't made your mind up....don't jump in! Especially when your beliefs are strong
Good luck x

I work in theatres and have seen a good few bariatric procedures, the patients remain in their gown throughout procedure however we do lift gown to around about under the breasts, I've noticed a few patients have opted to wear one of those crop style bra/vests, these are ideal as they don't have any metal in them and can be easily manoeuvred up out of the way if needed and there is also no problem with wearing own pants which means all the embarrassing parts are kept covered, once the abdomen is exposed the rest of the body is completely covered with sterile drapes so nothing at all is exposed during procedure, hope this helps put your mind at ease

I'm sure if you explain your concerns to the surgeon & his team that they will treat you with as much respect as possible. The bra & pants idea seems quite sensible. Good luck

I work in theatres and have seen a good few bariatric procedures, the patients remain in their gown throughout procedure however we do lift gown to around about under the breasts, I've noticed a few patients have opted to wear one of those crop style bra/vests, these are ideal as they don't have any metal in them and can be easily manoeuvred up out of the way if needed and there is also no problem with wearing own pants which means all the embarrassing parts are kept covered, once the abdomen is exposed the rest of the body is completely covered with sterile drapes so nothing at all is exposed during procedure, hope this helps put your mind at ease

My experience is that protecting the patients dignity and complying with good infection control practises are two big issues for a surgical team, the only bits that get exposed are the bits they need to get at, in this case the abdomen.

You have made my day :) That really helps. I'll speak to the surgeon and see what he says about managing it.

I really do appreciate all the responses above. This has literally been on my mind since reading the forum in past few weeks. My mind agrees with the logic behind most replies even though I know some are not practical for me.

There are religious reasons although it's ok in necessity.It would be private route so I could ask. The surgeon I like so far is male and it should be my first time exposed in that way in anyone's presence. I guess I'm now questioning whether it's a necessity.

Well at the end of the day, only you know if you're morbidly obese and if you can successfully lose weight other ways. If you are obese and you can't lose weight any other way I'd think it would be extremely sad for you and your family if you're willing to opt for a shorter life span rather than risk exposing parts of your body for surgery.

Each hospital will be different with its procedures too. I've read of people on here who had to be naked under a gown, others who were given paper knickers but allowed no bra and others who had bra and knickers. I was told to keep knickers on but not allowed a bra (and a bra would have been impossible with my bypass as one incision is right under when the band of my bra is.)

Marx. I didn't mean to be flippant or disrespectful. I didn't think about religious beliefs here and I apologise

My first two surgeries had me in paper pants. As I say this surgery last week was carried out at 11pm at night and was an emergency band removal so not the same prep and I was covered in pink stuff all over. I could not have had a bra as one of my incisions is right on my bra line.

But with time to talk to your surgical team and with religious belief involved I would guess they might have a duty to meet your wishes where they possibly can

As I say the Nuffield in Glasgow had an experienced bariatric female. An overnight stay might be worth considering xx. Good luck

Good luck

There are religious reasons although it's ok in necessity.It would be private route so I could ask. The surgeon I like so far is male and it should be my first time exposed in that way in anyone's presence. I guess I'm now questioning whether it's a necessity.

There is a strong element of necessity as the operation will potentially prolong your life, happiness and well being xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Marx. I didn't mean to be flippant or disrespectful. I didn't think about religious beliefs here and I apologise

My first two surgeries had me in paper pants. As I say this surgery last week was carried out at 11pm at night and was an emergency band removal so not the same prep and I was covered in pink stuff all over. I could not have had a bra as one of my incisions is right on my bra line.

But with time to talk to your surgical team and with religious belief involved I would guess they might have a duty to meet your wishes where they possibly can

As I say the Nuffield in Glasgow had an experienced bariatric female. An overnight stay might be worth considering xx. Good luck

Good luck

You weren't at all - I value honest opinions. I did ask for clarification from the prospective surgeon and he has said that pants are fine and that the gown would stay on during surgery which is reassuring.

I wouldn't have had the confidence to ask without all the feedback here in the thread. Thank you

Last edited:
That's great news Marz. Am so glad you asked.

Marz if your prepared to go private check out Miss Rotundo, she is based in Stoke on Trent and has a team of females that support her. I've just been re-bypassed by her and apart from the Anaesthetist everybody else I saw was female. She's an amazing surgeon too which is a plus.

Marz if your prepared to go private check out Miss Rotundo, she is based in Stoke on Trent and has a team of females that support her. I've just been re-bypassed by her and apart from the Anaesthetist everybody else I saw was female. She's an amazing surgeon too which is a plus.

I've had a brief look and she's inexperienced compared to the male I'm considering... By a few decades.

I will do some more research on her tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've had a brief look and she's inexperienced compared to the male I'm considering... By a few decades.

I will do some more research on her tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

She is currently fixing dozens and dozens of botched bypasses done by so called more experienced male surgeons, seriously I can't praise her highly enough and can give you the names of so many people that are going to her.

My first bypass was done by one of the most prominent surgeons in the UK and along with many others have ended up with a botch job. This lady is so down to earth, caring and very good.

She is currently fixing dozens and dozens of botched bypasses done by so called more experienced male surgeons, seriously I can't praise her highly enough and can give you the names of so many people that are going to her.

My first bypass was done by one of the most prominent surgeons in the UK and along with many others have ended up with a botch job. This lady is so down to earth, caring and very good.

Silly question but how do I contact her?

I was going to say exactly the same, I to work in theatres, two along from the one I had my gastric sleeve done in. You are kept covered by the sterile drapes. I know from actually being in there when bariatric procedures are done, we never expose the patient unless it is nesccesary, usualy just before you are painted with the iodine to steralize the surgical field. I know at the hospital where I work and had my procedure there are no female bariatric consultants, I was just lucky that I had a all female nursing team, apart from the anesthetist, I am affraid with the nhs route when you are given a date for surgery you get which ever consultant is on the rota for doing that date. They see you at a patient who needs the procedure doing and thats what they do.

Silly question but how do I contact her?

Best thing to do is Google her, see what hospitals she works at, contact the hospital and ask to speak to her Secretary who will be able to point you in right direction, including the contact details of private secretary if you are self funding. They will also be able to

A quick Google tells me that she works out of the Nuffield and university hospitals of the north Midlands (UHNM)

Back