• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass 2 weeks away. First day liver shrink diet

Louie lou

Pre-Op
Hi everyone, I am due to have my gastric bypass on the 23rd April 2013...
First day of liver shrink diet today, 3 pints skimmed milk and 2 low fat yogurts.
Hungry at the moment my husband has just had egg on toast and it smells lovely.

I'm having the bypass at north staffs university hospital, can't wait.
I need to lose another 10 stone. Hoping to get rid of the bulk by Christmas.

I have done very low fat diets before so know in a day or two my tummy will
Shrink and I won't be hungry or dizzy like I am at the mo.

I also became a Nana 3 days ago, I found out my daughter in law was pregnant
the same day the surgeon said I was OK to have the op, 15th October 2012..
She had a little boy 3 weeks early he was due on the 25th, he (Oliver) was 7lbs 15oz.

I want to be able to run around with him instead of lagging behind all the time.
So when he starts to walk I'll be able to run..woohoo.
Jane

How marvelous is your news? and what a fantastic chance you have to be able to be the kind of Nana that every kid want. I'm thrilled for you and a little envious (Especially about the grandchildren) as you are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime and the best roller coaster ride there is. Good luck with the milk diet, I didn't that one I did the very low cal diet pre op, its hard but it's only two weeks or so and you know you can do it

Make sure you keep us informed about your progress and again good luck and get ready to hang onto your hat with both hands, you're in for a heck of a fun ride

Congrats on becoming a nana. The liver shrinking diet is hard but necessary. Just keep your mind on the op and how it will change your life for the better and you will get through it.

Remember it's the last time you will have to 'diet' without the help of your bypass. I really found reminding myself of this helped me stick to the very rigid low calorie diet I had to follow.

Good luck.

Congratulations on the new arrival and also on your upcoming op. I had my bypass on 22 Feb and thrilled with it.

I've lost 34lb since. If things continue how they are I've a 'lose 2 weeks , stall 2 weeks' cycle while others lose consistently. Guess what I'm trying to say is out the other side don't get disheartened if you're a fits and starts loser - especially in the first few weeks when emotions are all over the place. It WILL come off and you'll have the choice of outfits come Christmas!! Xx

Congrats Nana :) Good luck on your journey :)

Thanks everyone,
Just finished work, Day 2 of the milk diet, feeling a bit sick.
Hubby taking me to the cinemas to take my mind off it.

It nice to read everyone's stories with the ups and downs.
I can't wait for the 23rd it can't come quick enough.

I'll keep reading to gain insight to what to expect afterwards
and meal options.

Sorry to hijack your thread,I have been told to lose 10kg by the surgeon,prior to bypass,will I also need to do the pre-op liver shrinkage diet?

Hi KJB

Yes I had to lose 2 stone and then once that was done they gave me the date and 2 weeks before the op
you have to do the liver shrink diet. I've just started day 3 and since Tuesday morning I have lost an additional
4lbs. Not bad in 2 days. Hope this helps.
Jane

Last edited:
Hi all.

End of day 3 on liver shrink. The worst day so far, my husband asked
me to go to my parents while he ate his dinner so I didn't smell it ,only to get there
and mum and dad where having fish and chips.. Well just had my last coffee a
bit of milk left but not going to drink it or I'll be up in the night for a pee and then won't
get back to sleep, I never do.
Oliver (grandson) out of hospital this evening after 5 days, going to see them in the morning..
Hope tomorrow will be easier as most people on here say it get easier after 3 three.

Just read quite a few threads and I can't wait to lose 8 stone ish in 6 months ish.....
By Christmas I'll be lighter than I've been in 20 years.
My friend comes home from Chicago in sept and I haven't told her so I'm hoping it a shock for her.
I'll have to stay away from Skype for the next few months.

Xxxx

End of day 4 on liver shrink diet.
Not as bad today, not as hungry but still shaky.
Dreading tomorrow 10 hour shift at work....only another
8 working days till op.

Went to see Oliver this morning and midwife arrived
While we where there, he screamed when they took blood
from his heal.
But the funny thing was, as my son was holding him while
he was having his leg and foot squeezed to make the blood
drip onto the card Oliver had grabbed his dads chest hair and was
pulling with all his might. I think he was getting his own back
on him for letting the midwife squeeze his leg.
They had both got tears in eyes lol....

You're doing really well hun! Well done!!!

Bless Oliver! It's horrible seeing the heal prick, really upset me when I saw my niece have it done but they soon get over it! Ha ha @ chest hair!! That's brilliant! Looks like he might be a handful lol!

I'm just embarking on my journey having had my first app today @ Walsall! I will defo be looking for your updates! Best of luck xxx

How marvelous is your news? and what a fantastic chance you have to be able to be the kind of Nana that every kid want. I'm thrilled for you and a little envious (Especially about the grandchildren) as you are about to embark on a journey of a lifetime and the best roller coaster ride there is. Good luck with the milk diet, I didn't that one I did the very low cal diet pre op, its hard but it's only two weeks or so and you know you can do i
Make sure you keep us informed about your progress and again good luck and get ready to hang onto your hat with both hands, you're in for a heck of a fun ride

Ain't that a fact!
Good luck and be sure to let us know of your success!
Andy

Didn't lose any weight this morning so fed up.:sigh:
I only had 2 yogurts and under 2 pints of milk cus of working 10 hours.
Have brought a pint with me today to work as on another 10 hour stint.
I was thinking maybe it was too few calories yesterday or just a lull in the loss and it will pick up again.
Brought some beef consomme today for a change.
It says i can have it on the sheet of paper the nutritionist gave me, so i'm going to take advntage of it.
:wave_cry:

Well, done a week on the LIVER SHRINK DIET and i am feeling OK.
The time is closing in on the 23rd when i have the Bypass.
I haven't lost any weight in the last 3 mornings, lost 7lbs straight away:scale: then nothing.:needhug:
Very odd, hope it picks up again soon.
xx

Well at last the weight is moving again.
I rang the nutritionalist yesterday so I could ask a few questions and mentioned I hadn't lost any weight for 6 days, she asked if I was going to the loo normally and I wasn't, so she said the last thing I needed was to be constipated when I was having surgery on my stomach.
She said to get some Senokot and take one a day till Op.
This morning lost 3lbs so it's moving again.

Now 303lbs so hoping to be below 300lbs for Tuesday and my Roux en Y.

Fingers crossed...

Hi all, just been to Macro and brought some take away pots to put some meals in for the freezer.

I have done 3 different flavoured soups, mushroom, butternut squash and Sri-lanken spicy chicken.
Also puréed some chicken with stock I poached it in and then all I have to do in a couple of weeks when I'm
on the purée stage I can add a bit of mashed carrot, potato and gravy.

The chicken soup might be a bit spicy but I'm ready for a bit of flavour after 2 weeks of milk, can but try.

I have done about 4oz of each hope this is about the correct amount, the nutritionalist said about the
equivalent to 1/2 tin. But I don't like tinned soup so I hope it's the correct thicken and amount.

Back