• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2017 Surgeries

So I FINALLY got my date!!!!!! MAY 15th Wahooooo! I am so happy I haven't had time to think today as didn't feel well at all today think because I didn't sleep at all last night and was so stressed I was sick so much this morning, I also have a swollen watery eye which is so painful feels like iv got glass in my eye so felt rubbish today when I should feel pure relief.
I'm going away for the weekend so will have more time to think.
He said iv reached my target (with a big grin on his face) and said okay let's book a date!!!
I told him if he gets a cancelation I'm there lol
He said I have to do the milk diet for two weeks before but if feel unwell have to do the other diet.
He said I won't have the swallow test after unless they think there is an issue.
He reassured me that If I feel I am to unwell to go home then I can stay no one will push me out. He also said they will be really happy to have me sitting up after the op(one of my concerns due to pressure on my back and pancreas it kicks off ii lay flat on my back) had a bad experience with another op the nurses pinned me down coz I was trying to sit up from the pressure and they wouldn't let me it was awful.
He said I need to stay the same weight as I am now or keep losing if I like.
As long as I don't gain all will go ahead and I will be first on the list that afternoon which will be amazing will have to go in about 11am and my op will be at 1pm so in all sounds good. I have to take all meds as usual and inject once the night before then two weeks after.
But one thing concerned me a littles was he said ..... Hmmmm let's book you in here if there is an issue you can wait just few more weeks? Which didn't sound like he was so sure on that date and time so was little worrying. But happy to have something to plan for now.
How are you doing ? Xx
Made up for you lovely xxx Thats really good news xxxx May isnt too far away either !!!! eeeeekkkk!!!!

Oh bless him! I am ok thank you, weight not shifting much but shape changing still! Our bodies like to stall a bit and frustrate us!
Hi lovely xx Just catching up with peeps xxx Im stalling at little with weight loss...grrrr!!! Ive got my first post operative group session today so will raise it with them and they might just say nowt to worry about xxxx

Have you been sent home with bloody thinning injections? If not then these could be a substitute. Not L&D but my stockings were off as soon as I could get out of bed to go to the loo. Had 30 days of injections though :(
I was a little less then you I had 26 in total due to going in and out of hospital post operative x

Thank you so much I am so pleased it's such a wait off my shoulders I have waited so long and been messed about so much its finally something I can get excited about and focus on what's next.
As for Mr Jain he was not nice to me when I first met him last year he was very short and made me feel stupid and made me very angry. But this time I went in with a hugs smile and was very upbeat an made it hard for him to be grumpy with me, but I was also his first patient as some didn't show up.
Think it helped me being up beat and just my general happy self either that or he was in a good mood for another reason.
He probably has so much to deal with but still us as his patients should feel comfortable with our surgeon.
My op is on a Monday afternoon so I am hoping some beds will become free after the weekend. Fingers crossed!!

You have so far to come couldn't you stay in a hotel the night before? I'd offer you to stay at mine but I only have a tiny one bedroom place and one bed lol
I have to do the milk diet which I haven't done before due to my condition but he said for me to try and do it just for two weeks, I have no clue what to do I know its milk and jelly?
I'm going to call them and find out what the plan is as I haven't a clue if I need to take vitamins or anything or if I can drink coffee? Or have sweetness? Do you know if I can have those?

Just so you know there is a premiere inn in st Albans town its 20-30min drive to LND from here.
How's the milk diet going? X

Hi Sweetcheeks
I think Mr Jains disposition is one of paternalistic grumpiness. He may prove me wrong but if I ever get a smile out of him I will drop down in a dead feint! As for staying over in a hotel the night before I did think about it but I will need in the morning to say goodbye to the boys (they are 21 and 25 yrs old) but I couldn't leave without seeing them and the same goes for Molly and Ruby - my baby girls (hairy doggy girls). I don't expect much sleep that night but hubby can sleep through a hurricane, a teenagers party going on downstairs and a car accident right outside our house so he will be fresh and ready for the drive.

The aim of the milk diet is to ensure that you an tolerate a high-protein liquid diet which you will need to follow post surgery. I have multi-vits and minerals prescribed by the GP and the team at L&D will advise what you need to take. They assess your daily semi-skimmed milk allowance in relation to your weight, mine is 4 - 5 pints per day which I don't always manage. They allow you 1 - 2 salty drinks per day (stock cubes or Bovril) to add back the salts you need. They also advise AT LEAST another 2 pints of sugar free fluids per day in addition to the milk allowance. This includes water, tea, coffee, herbal or fruit tea, carbonated water, diet soft drinks (less than 7 cal per 300 ml) and no added sugar squashes. Optionally you can also have 1 sachet or three ready made sugar free jellies per day which you could make into a milk jelly using part of your allowance. And ..... a maximum of three pieces of sugar-free chewing gum per day.

I do use a sweetener in my tea, milky coffee or hot milk. And as I won't eat chewing gum I do allow myself 3 sugar free Trebor Mighties (get them form Tesco) - sugar free mints to freshen up the mouth. When I initially did my 1st four weeks I got so prepared, I bought 84 ready made jellies (they were on special offer) and promptly found by day 2 I couldn't stand them. I donated them to a friend who is still working her way through them!

I hope that info is useful to you. As for me I am on day 11 of 43 in the countdown to surgery and last week lost 8 lbs. I still have another 11 lbs to lose to hit the minimum target which I am hoping I will manage and maybe even a wee bit more but who knows. My big fear is that even though I am being a good girl, something like my cycle will kick in and like a lot of women, I hoard fluids in the two weeks pre-menstrual and Mr Jain will not allow the surgery. That would be devastating for me. I have a pre-op review a week before with a dietitian so maybe that will soothe the nerves.

SJ xx

g

Hi Sweetcheeks
I think Mr Jains disposition is one of paternalistic grumpiness. He may prove me wrong but if I ever get a smile out of him I will drop down in a dead feint! As for staying over in a hotel the night before I did think about it but I will need in the morning to say goodbye to the boys (they are 21 and 25 yrs old) but I couldn't leave without seeing them and the same goes for Molly and Ruby - my baby girls (hairy doggy girls). I don't expect much sleep that night but hubby can sleep through a hurricane, a teenagers party going on downstairs and a car accident right outside our house so he will be fresh and ready for the drive.

The aim of the milk diet is to ensure that you an tolerate a high-protein liquid diet which you will need to follow post surgery. I have multi-vits and minerals prescribed by the GP and the team at L&D will advise what you need to take. They assess your daily semi-skimmed milk allowance in relation to your weight, mine is 4 - 5 pints per day which I don't always manage. They allow you 1 - 2 salty drinks per day (stock cubes or Bovril) to add back the salts you need. They also advise AT LEAST another 2 pints of sugar free fluids per day in addition to the milk allowance. This includes water, tea, coffee, herbal or fruit tea, carbonated water, diet soft drinks (less than 7 cal per 300 ml) and no added sugar squashes. Optionally you can also have 1 sachet or three ready made sugar free jellies per day which you could make into a milk jelly using part of your allowance. And ..... a maximum of three pieces of sugar-free chewing gum per day.

I do use a sweetener in my tea, milky coffee or hot milk. And as I won't eat chewing gum I do allow myself 3 sugar free Trebor Mighties (get them form Tesco) - sugar free mints to freshen up the mouth. When I initially did my 1st four weeks I got so prepared, I bought 84 ready made jellies (they were on special offer) and promptly found by day 2 I couldn't stand them. I donated them to a friend who is still working her way through them!

I hope that info is useful to you. As for me I am on day 11 of 43 in the countdown to surgery and last week lost 8 lbs. I still have another 11 lbs to lose to hit the minimum target which I am hoping I will manage and maybe even a wee bit more but who knows. My big fear is that even though I am being a good girl, something like my cycle will kick in and like a lot of women, I hoard fluids in the two weeks pre-menstrual and Mr Jain will not allow the surgery. That would be devastating for me. I have a pre-op review a week before with a dietitian so maybe that will soothe the nerves.

SJ xx

g
Hi SJ sorry for late reply I have read this a few times then before I could reply I'd get called away.
Thank you for all the info on the milk diet I really needed it as I haven't got a clue.
As for Mr Jain I hope you have a better experience with him next time he must be under so much pressure but still a smile wouldn't hurt lol
Your husband sounds like my partner she snores so loud and will sleep through anything I'm a light sleeper so if I hear anything i wake up.
I understand you wouldn't really want to stay in a hotel home comforts are the best and seeing your family before you go in is really important.
I'm dreading saying bye to my mum and my nephew and niece's and of course my partner it gets me choked up just thinking of anything going wrong and them being left behind as I'm a huge part in there life's.
I'm not worried so much about me as I won't know a thing.
I just hope all will be OK and then I can actually spend this summer without horrible Cardigans on I mean I went to gran canaria and spent most of the time in a Cardigan oz I hate my arms they are abnormally big I'm not being funny they really are bigger than they should be for my size and even when ii lost a lot of weight before they stayed big.

I am going to get some Bovril and some milk shake crusha sf next week just so I'm ready for it.

Reading about the jelly's made me laugh I done that when there was an offer on yoghurts then found I went off them for months.
As the milk diet can I have sweeteners? I usually have them in my coffee.
And am I allowed chewing gum? I chew gum when I'm driving as I'm learning to drive it stops me grinding my teeth with nerves.
As for losing your weight your doing amazing!!! 8lbs in a week is brill I'm sure you will have lost enough I know how you feel when it comes to gaining when due on I have Gained 5-7lbs before when due on from water retention.
It would be devastating after all your hard work but I'm sure they wont put you through so much and cancel it after all your hard work. I needed to lost a stone before and didn't hit target I lost 12.5lbs and they said it was a good effort and let it go forward. I did lose that in less than 3 weeks just by diet alone not the milk diet it was tuff.
I'm going to start the milk diet on the 1 st may so my hole family and I are going for a carvery for kinda the last meal the weekend before plus it's my mums birthday and my little nephews birthday too so will be lovely to stuff my face one last time.
How much weight do ppl lose on the milk diet usually?
Anyways I'm sorry about my long msg haha hope to speak soon hope all going well xxx

Hi SJ sorry for late reply I have read this a few times then before I could reply I'd get called away.
Thank you for all the info on the milk diet I really needed it as I haven't got a clue.
As for Mr Jain I hope you have a better experience with him next time he must be under so much pressure but still a smile wouldn't hurt lol
Your husband sounds like my partner she snores so loud and will sleep through anything I'm a light sleeper so if I hear anything i wake up.
I understand you wouldn't really want to stay in a hotel home comforts are the best and seeing your family before you go in is really important.
I'm dreading saying bye to my mum and my nephew and niece's and of course my partner it gets me choked up just thinking of anything going wrong and them being left behind as I'm a huge part in there life's.
I'm not worried so much about me as I won't know a thing.
I just hope all will be OK and then I can actually spend this summer without horrible Cardigans on I mean I went to gran canaria and spent most of the time in a Cardigan oz I hate my arms they are abnormally big I'm not being funny they really are bigger than they should be for my size and even when ii lost a lot of weight before they stayed big.

I am going to get some Bovril and some milk shake crusha sf next week just so I'm ready for it.

Reading about the jelly's made me laugh I done that when there was an offer on yoghurts then found I went off them for months.
As the milk diet can I have sweeteners? I usually have them in my coffee.
And am I allowed chewing gum? I chew gum when I'm driving as I'm learning to drive it stops me grinding my teeth with nerves.
As for losing your weight your doing amazing!!! 8lbs in a week is brill I'm sure you will have lost enough I know how you feel when it comes to gaining when due on I have Gained 5-7lbs before when due on from water retention.
It would be devastating after all your hard work but I'm sure they wont put you through so much and cancel it after all your hard work. I needed to lost a stone before and didn't hit target I lost 12.5lbs and they said it was a good effort and let it go forward. I did lose that in less than 3 weeks just by diet alone not the milk diet it was tuff.
I'm going to start the milk diet on the 1 st may so my hole family and I are going for a carvery for kinda the last meal the weekend before plus it's my mums birthday and my little nephews birthday too so will be lovely to stuff my face one last time.
How much weight do ppl lose on the milk diet usually?
Anyways I'm sorry about my long msg haha hope to speak soon hope all going well xxx

Morning Sweetcheeks
I lost another 2 lbs last week (week 2) so much slower but I did falter on the diet. A few days I didn't drink enough and then I had a secret binge. Well, when I say secret I mean stealthily away from the family but I am now confessing my sins and back on track! After a binge I sit and tell myself off - "its only you that your hurting", "your the one that is most disappointed" etc etc but after 52 years of that mantra it wears a bit thin.

On my last months milk diet I lost 20 lb in total (Mr Jain not impressed!) but others have lost between 10 lbs and 25 lbs but I do think it depends on how big you are to start with and how your body adapts. With girls and their cycle there is an obvious fly in the ointment if you retain water - but men do lose slightly more weight as they have less of a pre-disposed fat layer than women anyway. It always ticked me off that the men at Slimming World were much quicker to lose but then I expect the majority were not the ones doing the shopping or the preparing of meals.

I have a picture of you madly chewing your gum whilst driving around with your L plate on. Good luck with that as the ability to drive is fantastic. My dad was a police inspector in the traffic division and his sergeant taught me to drive when I was 17. He had a saucy sense of humour (but then so do I) and when I passed I found a whole new sense of freedom and confidence. I have just got a new car and am whizzing about seeing friends etc and enjoying myself after 6 months without a car. Only downside is that I get less sleep as when OH drives I am generally nodding of before we get out of the drive!

You did well on your diet before so I am sure you will conquer the milk diet. Lots of cow juice and other fluids. Just remember to buy extra toilet roll as you will be forever visiting the smallest room in the house!

SJ xx

I was a little less then you I had 26 in total due to going in and out of hospital post operative x
Hi lovely xx Just catching up with peeps xxx Im stalling at little with weight loss...grrrr!!! Ive got my first post operative group session today so will raise it with them and they might just say nowt to worry about xxxx

Hi Angeline
How are you going? What was the first post-op group session like? I was unaware that these groups went on. Are they beneficial? I am hoping that I do not have to travel to and from L&D to attend as a round trip of 4 hours is not something I look forward to along with regular post-op visits for dietitian etc. I find a lot of support on this site so I am hoping that will see me through.

SJ xx

Morning Sweetcheeks
I lost another 2 lbs last week (week 2) so much slower but I did falter on the diet. A few days I didn't drink enough and then I had a secret binge. Well, when I say secret I mean stealthily away from the family but I am now confessing my sins and back on track! After a binge I sit and tell myself off - "its only you that your hurting", "your the one that is most disappointed" etc etc but after 52 years of that mantra it wears a bit thin.

On my last months milk diet I lost 20 lb in total (Mr Jain not impressed!) but others have lost between 10 lbs and 25 lbs but I do think it depends on how big you are to start with and how your body adapts. With girls and their cycle there is an obvious fly in the ointment if you retain water - but men do lose slightly more weight as they have less of a pre-disposed fat layer than women anyway. It always ticked me off that the men at Slimming World were much quicker to lose but then I expect the majority were not the ones doing the shopping or the preparing of meals.

I have a picture of you madly chewing your gum whilst driving around with your L plate on. Good luck with that as the ability to drive is fantastic. My dad was a police inspector in the traffic division and his sergeant taught me to drive when I was 17. He had a saucy sense of humour (but then so do I) and when I passed I found a whole new sense of freedom and confidence. I have just got a new car and am whizzing about seeing friends etc and enjoying myself after 6 months without a car. Only downside is that I get less sleep as when OH drives I am generally nodding of before we get out of the drive!

You did well on your diet before so I am sure you will conquer the milk diet. Lots of cow juice and other fluids. Just remember to buy extra toilet roll as you will be forever visiting the smallest room in the house!

SJ xx
So sorry for late reply I read this and then forgot to reply.
How have you been? Anymore naughty eating? Its so hard to stock to things when your not feeling supported by your surgeon. Just be proud of yourself hun your doing amazing and I'm proud of you hope I can do it for two weeks on the first of may. Although I still haven't got my conformation letter I called them and they said the don't have the surgery rota yet but when th do they will send it to me. (The op date letter) I really hope they don't mess me about again.

Hahahaha I chew like mad!!! I booked my test but I'm going to cancel it coz my partner said it will be a waist as Iv not got my parallel park or my reverse round a corner down yet. So felt bit upset but its true I should just keep practicing.
Just means can't do test till after op coz there are no dates available. Grrr this driving stuff is tuff, but I just passed my theory first time I gt top marks on that so guess I shouldn't push my luck hey lol
I just lack in self confidence so figure iil just wait .

I have been eating anything ii like for now then I'm going to crack on with losing it again from next week. I figured why not let me enjoy wile I can .
I got jelly and Bovril just need to get the sf crusha and milk oh and loo roll haha
HahahHahahah that cracked me up toilet roll I'm happy toitoi visit that room there is silence In there well most of the time hahaha TMI lol
I had best get planning soon but it feels like its not going to happen anytime soon (my op I mean) the woman said well it could be that date or a few days later it all depends so from how she was I figured she already knows its not going to be on the 15th may.
I will be gutted of its not.
Anyways be get a wriggle on my mum is coming oo hang wallpaper she is 63 and fitter than me!!! Well she has lung disease but she will boss me about I'm sure haha
Talk soon x

So sorry for late reply I read this and then forgot to reply.
How have you been? Anymore naughty eating? Its so hard to stock to things when your not feeling supported by your surgeon. Just be proud of yourself hun your doing amazing and I'm proud of you hope I can do it for two weeks on the first of may. Although I still haven't got my conformation letter I called them and they said the don't have the surgery rota yet but when th do they will send it to me. (The op date letter) I really hope they don't mess me about again.

Hahahaha I chew like mad!!! I booked my test but I'm going to cancel it coz my partner said it will be a waist as Iv not got my parallel park or my reverse round a corner down yet. So felt bit upset but its true I should just keep practicing.
Just means can't do test till after op coz there are no dates available. Grrr this driving stuff is tuff, but I just passed my theory first time I gt top marks on that so guess I shouldn't push my luck hey lol
I just lack in self confidence so figure iil just wait .

I have been eating anything ii like for now then I'm going to crack on with losing it again from next week. I figured why not let me enjoy wile I can .
I got jelly and Bovril just need to get the sf crusha and milk oh and loo roll haha
HahahHahahah that cracked me up toilet roll I'm happy toitoi visit that room there is silence In there well most of the time hahaha TMI lol
I had best get planning soon but it feels like its not going to happen anytime soon (my op I mean) the woman said well it could be that date or a few days later it all depends so from how she was I figured she already knows its not going to be on the 15th may.
I will be gutted of its not.
Anyways be get a wriggle on my mum is coming oo hang wallpaper she is 63 and fitter than me!!! Well she has lung disease but she will boss me about I'm sure haha
Talk soon x
Speak of the devil I just got my surgery letter lol just goes to show if you nag you get more done lol x

You can't just post 'I got my letter' .... news needed asap????????

I am plodding on and been good. Only 3kg to go in three weeks so I may even expend some energy doing some exercise to push me over the line. But then again I might not!!!

SJ xx
Haha well done on your weight loss hun keep plodding on. I t my surgery conformation letter 15th may. Have to be there at 11am my surgery is in the afternoon, I got two appointments come through today one for Mr Jain on the 29th June and another to see the nurse on the same day. I'm assuming that's my 6week check dates for after my op?
I haven't got a letter for my pre op assessment yet do you know when I will get that? As there is only 5 weeks before my op. Xx

Hi there x I'm 3.5 weeks after the op now in total I lost 3.8 stone so really pleased. Eating is ok I can eat most of the things now x how r u ?
Wow that's amazing!! Do you eat normal food noe or still on soft? I have my surgery on 15th may can't wait but getting little nervous keep thinking about writing letters to leave just in case anything goes wrong.
I'm hoping it goes smoothly, so glad your doing so well. Do you feel weak or tired? X

Hello sweet how are you feeling? Are you living life to the full now? Hope all is well xx
Hi hunny xxx Im doing ok and still loosing which is good as slowed/stalled up to a couple of days ago. Im in a 14-16 now (so a 15 lol!!!!) . Southmead has got a post op 6 mth course which Ive started and thats good...allows you to get to meet peeps that have undergone all types of bariatric surgery and support each other. Next one is mid April so Im actually looking forward to it :) xxx How you?

Hi Angeline
How are you going? What was the first post-op group session like? I was unaware that these groups went on. Are they beneficial? I am hoping that I do not have to travel to and from L&D to attend as a round trip of 4 hours is not something I look forward to along with regular post-op visits for dietitian etc. I find a lot of support on this site so I am hoping that will see me through.

SJ xx
Hi SJ lovely xxxx
It was really good and I bumped into a lady who came in for a GBand when I was in for one of my stints...that was so nice to see her again xxx These are new sessions and yes it was beneficial as we can share our feelings, changing attitudes, support each other on keeping up with post medications/vitamins etc as some were struggling with swapping over to normal tablets from chewable/liquid. We are looking at diet/water next time and the next set of changes our bodies are going under ...quite interesting as things are talked about that I hadnt thought about or was up to yet like hair loss/thinning or skin changes xxxx

Its a 1 1/2 trip each way for me so I know the pain but ya might be able to hop on to one closer if available xxx It took me just under five hours to get there and get home last time ...then sometimes its a hour each way xx

Hi hunny xxx Im doing ok and still loosing which is good as slowed/stalled up to a couple of days ago. Im in a 14-16 now (so a 15 lol!!!!) . Southmead has got a post op 6 mth course which Ive started and thats good...allows you to get to meet peeps that have undergone all types of bariatric surgery and support each other. Next one is mid April so Im actually looking forward to it :) xxx How you?
Hey good to hear from you. Haha a 15 is great!!
Sow sounds fantastic it would be lovely ifwe had that here, although you gals/guys are keeping me sane you have all been lovely on my journey.
I'm good thank you I got two appointment for 6weeks after my op to see Mr jain and the nurse it doesn't say why I can only assume it's for a check on how I'm doing?
I haven't got a pre op assessment date yet when should I get that?
In all I'm soooo ready for this I have everything at the ready although I keep having dreams that I'll die and should write letters to all my family before I go for my op silly hey!
Apart from that alls well doing my driving lessons and re decorating just finished the kitchen now all other rooms to do before the 15th may lol
I'm so happy your going to meet some lovely ppl like yourself keep me posted xxx

Back