• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

January 2017 Surgeries

Hi there
How did your appointment go on the 3rd with the anesthetist? Did you get your op date? I am off to see the anesthetist on Thursday 9th as dietitian felt it important when I saw her on 26 Jan that I be seen quickly. I am hoping that surgeon will see me on same day - otherwise I have to wait until 23 March to see him.

So its fingers crossed for me.

Anyone else at L&D on Thursday?
SJ x
I'm at L&D on tuesday

I saw the anaesthetist who gave me the all clear for an op. Although i didn't hear directly from Papworth (who did sleep apnoea test) - there is no indication of sleep apnoea and my ECG was clear (had that at local hospital on 10 Jan) . He explained the process - venflon in back of hand, off to sleep, wake up with drip and morphine and anti-sickness meds on board and you go home with morphine patch. Have to get up and moving asap tp prevent clots etc. All of that okay and as expected. He didn't check my weight but did take blood pressure and check my oxygen levels with finger oxometer.
As I travelled from Suffolk, with a bit of cajoling by the staff, they got me in to see Mr Jain as well (his appt was not due until March 23). He said I hadn't lost enough weight since I had been with the team (so since Sept 2016) and therefore because I am an apple (or as Mr Jain said (you are centrally very fat) I have to loose a further stone before surgery which he has set for 26th April. So I have the milk diet for 4 weeks prior to surgery. However, I am tempted to do six weeks to make sure I hit the target. Mr Jain explained what the op entailed and went through the consent form. He also said that the night before surgery you have a self inject (or get your practice nurse to do it) a blood thinner and gave me an instruction sheet.
So the op is set, target for weight loss clearly stated and so I am now focused on that. I am booked to go on holiday 4.5 weeks after the op so fingers crossed it all goes ok. Mr Jain said I could fly 2 - 3 weeks post-op but I will have to find out what proof the airline needs and about insurance cover as well.
This op is certainly not something to take lightly.

I saw the anaesthetist who gave me the all clear for an op. Although i didn't hear directly from Papworth (who did sleep apnoea test) - there is no indication of sleep apnoea and my ECG was clear (had that at local hospital on 10 Jan) . He explained the process - venflon in back of hand, off to sleep, wake up with drip and morphine and anti-sickness meds on board and you go home with morphine patch. Have to get up and moving asap tp prevent clots etc. All of that okay and as expected. He didn't check my weight but did take blood pressure and check my oxygen levels with finger oxometer.
As I travelled from Suffolk, with a bit of cajoling by the staff, they got me in to see Mr Jain as well (his appt was not due until March 23). He said I hadn't lost enough weight since I had been with the team (so since Sept 2016) and therefore because I am an apple (or as Mr Jain said (you are centrally very fat) I have to loose a further stone before surgery which he has set for 26th April. So I have the milk diet for 4 weeks prior to surgery. However, I am tempted to do six weeks to make sure I hit the target. Mr Jain explained what the op entailed and went through the consent form. He also said that the night before surgery you have a self inject (or get your practice nurse to do it) a blood thinner and gave me an instruction sheet.
So the op is set, target for weight loss clearly stated and so I am now focused on that. I am booked to go on holiday 4.5 weeks after the op so fingers crossed it all goes ok. Mr Jain said I could fly 2 - 3 weeks post-op but I will have to find out what proof the airline needs and about insurance cover as well.
I have obstructive sleep apnea which I have a cpap machine and wear a mask at night so that is controlled my copd is not too bad diabetics is controlled so hopefully he will be happy in have never had any problems with ops before had my gall bladder out two years ago with no trouble I also have cranial hypertension where I have to have lumber punctures all my illness apart from.copd are weight related fingers crossed I don't know who my consultant will be perhaps the nurse will tell me

Hey. How are you?? I've had a rough couple of days of not eating or drinking think I picked up one of the kids tummy bugs. But starting to feel better in myself though xx
Oh hun I really hope things are slowly getting better. I saw the anesthetist last week he said they won't do the drink test after my op unless they think there is a problem? Then told me could get some blue die on my face and hair bloody sounds like I'll be a rag doll lol
I managed to lose 12.5lbs by the time I saw the nurse so she was happy to refer me to the surgeon (even Though i already have an appointment 16th march)
Do you feel you wish you didn't have the op?
Hope you feel better soon sweetie x

I'm still very weak and taking things slowly. The district nurse is coming in every other day to change my dressings, hopefully I can work on strength once the wounds heal.

Foodwise things are going well. Just started week4. I've been home a week and the first thing we did was make some chicken stock so every soup I make starts with a protein boost.
One step at a time and all will get better. So glad your home and slowly heeling. Great that your on week 4 you will be getting better by the day before you know it. Thinking of you all the best xxx

Hi everyone , I'm back home again after another stint in xxx lots happened since I first came out post op. Glad you've done so well with you weight loss seeetcheeks!!! I'm Very proud of you!!!
louisex21 you poor thing .... speak to your team asap tomorrow and keep trying. Totally understand about the fear factor but keep telling yourself positive thoughts.... PMA can take
You to good places xxxx
Thank you so my sweetie, what's been happening with you have you had a bad time? Really hope your on the mend sounds you have been in the wars sweet. Being home is what helps heel and feel better hope your being taken good care of. Thinking of you my lovely ,x

Hi there
How did your appointment go on the 3rd with the anesthetist? Did you get your op date? I am off to see the anesthetist on Thursday 9th as dietitian felt it important when I saw her on 26 Jan that I be seen quickly. I am hoping that surgeon will see me on same day - otherwise I have to wait until 23 March to see him.

So its fingers crossed for me.

Anyone else at L&D on Thursday?
SJ x
Hey hun it went fine he said there is no problems and happy with me he told me they won't do the leak test unless they think there is an issue. And that when I wake up I could have blue die on my face and In my mouth an hair???? He said not to worry! Lol having blue in my hair will be the last of my worries lol
I didn't get op date till I see my surgeon on 16th March. The told me before you won't get to see the surgeon and anesthetist on the same day they said to me it don't happen like that. But if you do get to that's great! They tell everyone different things. I have to carry on losing weight till see the surgeon then he should give me a date.
Feeling nervous keep thinking of all that has happened to everyone on here and as iv already got a condition I am thinking will I make my life worse.
Then think about everything else and just focus on trying to enjoy food wile I can. Keep us posted hope all goes well. Xxxxx

Wow sorry just seen this. So you did get to see Mr Jain that's great!! Can't believe he called you fat cheeky sod! Yes we are there to have weight loss surgery but omg if he said that to me I would go mad!
Same happened at my appointment with anesthetist.
Good luck with the weight loss hun you will do great! I hope he gives me my op in April I'm fed up with waiting and jumping through every hoop. And they keep messing me about. I have to lose more weight but will do it slowly as I can't do the milk diet due to my condition haven't a clue what I'll have to do when it comes to shrinking my liver.
I'm so glad I have oralmorph at home ready for this
So glad you got your date it will motive youamd a holiday booked wahooo! Loads to focus you
Xxx

Hey hun it went fine he said there is no problems and happy with me he told me they won't do the leak test unless they think there is an issue. And that when I wake up I could have blue die on my face and In my mouth an hair???? He said not to worry! Lol having blue in my hair will be the last of my worries lol
I didn't get op date till I see my surgeon on 16th March. The told me before you won't get to see the surgeon and anesthetist on the same day they said to me it don't happen like that. But if you do get to that's great! They tell everyone different things. I have to carry on losing weight till see the surgeon then he should give me a date.
Feeling nervous keep thinking of all that has happened to everyone on here and as iv already got a condition I am thinking will I make my life worse.
Then think about everything else and just focus on trying to enjoy food wile I can. Keep us posted hope all goes well. Xxxxx
what is the leak test glad it went well for you and your nearly there I have the nurse first to see on tuesday I have now lost 1 stone 2lbs on the 4 weeks milk diet I don't see anthetist till 27th yes keep me posted are you with luton and dunstable hospital

what is the leak test glad it went well for you and your nearly there I have the nurse first to see on tuesday I have now lost 1 stone 2lbs on the 4 weeks milk diet I don't see anthetist till 27th yes keep me posted are you with luton and dunstable hospital
Its given after your op it's the first drink they give you and watch with an xray machine to see if there are any leeks but apparently he said they don't always do it they just let u go home next day!
Yes I am at LnD
X

Its given after your op it's the first drink they give you and watch with an xray machine to see if there are any leeks but apparently he said they don't always do it they just let u go home next day!
Yes I am at LnD
X
did the anthetist give you a date for op or does consultant tell you I don't know who my consultant will be my anthetist is a women

Oh hun I really hope things are slowly getting better. I saw the anesthetist last week he said they won't do the drink test after my op unless they think there is a problem? Then told me could get some blue die on my face and hair bloody sounds like I'll be a rag doll lol
I managed to lose 12.5lbs by the time I saw the nurse so she was happy to refer me to the surgeon (even Though i already have an appointment 16th march)
Do you feel you wish you didn't have the op?
Hope you feel better soon sweetie x
Well done you did so good to lose that.. I do and don't regret it. I went to a party yesterday and then everyone looked at me like why isn't she eating anything and then some plonka decided to announce it in front of everyone so I was rather annoyed wasn't there business to broadcast I felt really belittled tbh not that I'm ashamed just the fact it was embarrassing for me... I only regret it when kids want to go out for a meal and I'm to scared to have anything just incase you never know.. but gone from a size 26 to a size 18 and that makes me realise why I had this done.. I have my good days and bad days just like anyone but I'm missing my fizzy pop at the minute.. xx

Well done you did so good to lose that.. I do and don't regret it. I went to a party yesterday and then everyone looked at me like why isn't she eating anything and then some plonka decided to announce it in front of everyone so I was rather annoyed wasn't there business to broadcast I felt really belittled tbh not that I'm ashamed just the fact it was embarrassing for me... I only regret it when kids want to go out for a meal and I'm to scared to have anything just incase you never know.. but gone from a size 26 to a size 18 and that makes me realise why I had this done.. I have my good days and bad days just like anyone but I'm missing my fizzy pop at the minute.. xx
oh that isn't very nice to say that to everyone but do you know what don't be you have done really well and don't mind other people do this for yourself I have been quite open with people what I intend to do if they don't like it that is there problem that's what I say just stay positive

oh that isn't very nice to say that to everyone and embarrassing you like that just stay focused don't care what anybody thinks you are doing well stay positive

Yes I am at LnD
X
Hi there x its what I've heard that not always they check with the dye drink. I would prefer to make sure there is no leak from my new stomach. Also discharging the next day is worring most hospitals keep u in for 2-4days after wls.

Back