• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Long Termers - Coping with Christmas

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Morning All - Back from my cruise and straight into the run up to Christmas. Do you see this as a difficult time perhaps because of all the food opportunities? Or is it the added stress that impacts on you and your wls? What's different for you now? Is it better? Is it worst?

Me - its better as everything is when you are no longer 417lbs but still challenging as this is my favourite food we are talking about. My first year after wls there was 'Christmas Cakegate' and it will stay with me for ever. I was stalling at 8.5 months yet again and I developed a cba attitude and was very sorry for myself. So what did this idiot do? Well obviously eat and eat and my weapon of choice - christmas cake. My goodness the large white telephone in my shower room had my head down it for hours and I mean hours. It was my first and most spectacular dump. I wasn't just sick it poured out of me. OH sat on the floor with me convinced I was dying. Ever since I pass it by with a vengance but you know what it still calls me and I find it really hard to resist.

Can't wait to hear how you all deal with this festive period

M

Hi, I haven't had surgery but have come on here for advice etc. but I know that having a "favourite" food is a real trial at the best of times.... chocolate being my big downfall.
Hope you soon get to grips with things... :)

It won't be easy, but we will get through it just got to try and be sensible about what our bodies can take. I will want to try things but will know they won't be good so will probably have the smallest piece so that I dont feel like i have denied myself. Chocolate used to be a downfall, I know now it doesn't taste like it used to and too much can make me dump, 2 squares and I have hot flushes if I want some 1 square only, if i really have to have it, which is much less than I would have had once over. WE have to keep it real, but we have to learn as we go on, denying ourselves is not the best way to do it as we have found over the years denying food only makes us want it more. Just have to look back at what we have learned and try to apply all the tricks for our new healthy lifes tyles, I find myself saying no you can't have 2 bite s1 is enough or yes you cna have it then 1 bite is enough so give it to hubby or put it in the bin, i am coping better with that method as I am not going without. Usually I find whateva I have been craving now tastes nothing like I remember, much blander so don't always bother after that am satisfied that I tried it and didn't enjoy it. Good luck all x

The biggest thing I'm worried about this Christmas is the savoury food. Like the actual Christmas meal. I'm going to my sisters and I'll take my tea plate and serve up my small portion but it will be hard to see everyone else enjoy what was my most favourite meal of the year. I'm not worried about cake, chocolates etc. as we have them at work all the time and they don't bother me. I drink tea sweetened with sweeteners every time I feel like picking up a biscuit (they actually leave them open in the hallway!) but yes I will struggle not to want to overfill my plate and I'll miss lots of turkey and cranberry sandwiches in the evening but I know I'll cope. I'm working everyday apart from Christmas day and boxing day so it won't be too hard. It's my first Christmas post op so I have good restriction on my side. Next year might be harder. We shall see.

Flippancy Alert - shall worry about food later. Bigger issue - my icicle lights have packed in! :cry:

Seriously though, this is my 3rd Christmas post-bypass and I'l just treat it as a day like any other, with maybe a touch more grazing on cold roast beef (don't like turkey!) throughout the day. Nobody gets me chocolate for Christmas so that's ok, I'm not a huge fan of cake and pudding, so I suppose my big issue would be overdoing the savouries!
Mince pies, however...mmm. I found this interesting though - my blood sugar was 7.3 so I had a bite of hubby's mince pie and 30 minutes later my blood sugar had literally doubled. Sugartastic.
Hope everyone has a good one anyway x

Yep I think its best to try and just treat it as any other time ... Enjoy things in moderation, and take advantage of lovely cooked meats and fresh veggies/fruit to graze on. Don't embark on the viscious guilt trip of thinking of things as good and bad ... Some things are just more healthy/nutritious than others ... 90% healthier options with the odd less healthy option is not the end of the world. And don't keep scale hopping if its going to get you down or make you opt for the "oh it's gone wrong anyway, I may as well sabotage myself, and pop my head into my naughty treat cupboard' mentality. This journey is for life, not just for Christmas ;)

Hubby has decided he wants the following for Christmas dinner: Nut Roast (he's veggie), stuffing, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, roast parsnips and carrots, butternut squash mash, 2 types of cabbage, brussels and red cabbage and apple.

How much food??!

Just makes me aware how much my attitude to food has changed.

I think christmas will be easier for me as I live alone, so can actually just stick to the same regime and not be tempted as I would be if I had to cook a christmas dinner for a family... I will have turkey but will have it without all the trimmings and I think I will be okay with that.. My way of dealing with it all is just not to buy any goodies, and that way I won't impulse eat hopefully.... But am going to allow myself a christmas tipple definitely.

But shouldn't it still be a special time?! We can still celebrate just in smaller quantities :) pigs in blanket top of my list for dinner :)

I will be enjoying christmas day with my family :) I will have small bits of most things, but avoid the sweets apart from a tiny piece as I don't want to dump. What I'm not going to do is have all the goodies and treats in the house - it will just be christmas day and boxing day for me this year.

Pigs in blankets yum. I have never denied myself throughout this journey .... Moderation / balance are my favourite words. Not going to have any Xmas cake or more than a bite of a mince pie though ... I had a teeny bit of Xmas pudding at works do earlier in the week and ended up with the most excruciating wind pains. Dried fruit is not good for me as a bander ;) I have a big tub of celebrations sitting unopened under my christmas tree ... Not even been tempted to open it yet, however as soon as its opened, I know that I will have to eat every Milky Way one in there ... Once those are gone though, I honestly won't be bothered about eating the rest. Pre-band that whole tub would have had my name (and only my name) on! :cool:

I have a big tub of celebrations sitting unopened under my christmas tree ... Not even been tempted to open it yet, however as soon as its opened, I know that I will have to eat every Milky Way one in there ...

They're usually the only ones left when there's a tin at work - know who to send them to now!
Personally, I favour the Malteser :D

They just don't taste the same now, no matter what they are chocolate is just not like it was before bypass, head still wants it though, but disappointed when have had it xx

Back