• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

looking for some ideas on cooking, lol

keeley86

just wondered if any1 can give me some cooking lessons on how to cook the perfect moist turkey - i dont usually like turkey because its always dry i recon but this year im cooking it myself so wondered whats the best way of cooking it on xmas day?

Thanks in advance xxx

A couple of ways to keep it nice and moist...

Plenty of streaky bacon on top of the turkey - and don't remove the foil too soon, or
Cook it upside down so the juices collect in the breast.

My cousin always cooked hers upside down and that was moist. Phil Vickery on This Morning has a way to cook a turkey in a few hours that he says makes the nicest moist-est turkey ever! lol......He said theres details on this morning website. He cooked it a few weeks ago and Phil and Holly both said it was the best turkey theyd ever had! Maybe worth a look :D XX

Neen recommended something which you can buy in supermarkets... like a roasting bag which makes the meat very tender and veg will roast in there too...
i.e. parnips, carrots, potatoes.

Love and hugs xxx

sounds good to me - ive read about putting it upside down with an onion inside and squeezing a lemon over the top, im getting excited now. the baking stuff is coming out xxxx

Put a large carrot and an onion inside. Rub about half a pound of butter into the breast and legs (I know eeek but ignore the calories!) then sprinkle a small amount of paprika into the butter-rubbed breast and legs. This gives the skin a beautiful colour. Also season with salt and pepper. Stuff the crop with chosen stuffing (you can use Paxo for instance, remember to make it up according to the instructions first!) and either sew up with string or secure with skewers. Layer about half a pound of streaky bacon across the breast so that it completely covers the breast.
Cover with foil and cook for required time (ie. so many minutes per pound/kg). About half an hour before the end of cooking time, take off the bacon and the foil to allow the skin to become golden. To check the turkey is fully cooked, push a skewer into the breast and leg. The juices should run clear. At the end of cooking time, allow the turkey to 'rest' for a least half an hour with the foil back on.
Carve, remember to take the stuffing out of the crop, and serve with cranberry sauce, bread sauce, and pigs in blankets! Yummy!
I'm feeling hungry now just thinking about it!
ps. if you buy one with jiblets, don't do what I did the first year I cooked a turkey. Remember to take the packet of jiblets out! LOL!

Deffo follow Phil Vickerys on Good Morning website,best turkey I ever tasted and only 2 hrs in oven!

What's jiblets?

What so you have to rip it's heart and liver out? Poor soul! Lol
I think I'll get me mum to de jiblet it! I'm a proper amature me rnt I lol

So what do I do with them then? Lol ano how can I not know that haha but honestly I've never cooked a turkey b4! U don't get em in a chicken do ya lol

Learn summat new every day

You used to get them in chickens must be before your time!You dont HAVE to use them,chuck em in the bin!Or cook them and the cat/dog will love them!

PMSL .....Keeley you had me in stitches! :rotflmao: Chillax, you dont have to rip anythings heart out! Like Maz said they come in a bag inside the turkey carcass. My Dad used to ccook them up and make the gravy with the stock and give the pets the rest, but I throw them in the bin......I dont like the look of them :eek: lol....XX

i think ill be doing the same jacqui - sounds like all appart from the brain in a bag! OMG! everytime i eat turkey now ill remember this conversation, lol

LOL at you lot! The giblets make fantastic tasting gravy! Simmer them in a pan with half a onion and carrot, then strain through a sieve after about an hour. Use the stock to make the gravy. Fantastic!
I'm glad you don't have to rip the poor thing's heart out Keeley. We have friends who are turkey farmers. We refused a turkey from them because couldn't bar the thought of this poor little turkey being one of their friends, and then one day going for the chop!
Grace xxx

ooooooo dont..... i think your all just trying to put me of my xmas dinner rnt you?:cry:lol
my turkey is in the freezer at moment i baught it from morrisons i think or tesco - not sure if it has got the giblets in or not... il let you know though.
ive got right in to the good food programs on sky ya know - theyve got all the christmas cooking programs on at the mo. and delia smith puts the liver from the giblets in her stuffing!
i was watching a couple of episodes of Fanny Craddock the other day too from 1976 (the year my hubby wa born) she was a strange woman wernt she and OMG! whats them eye brows all about???? lol

whos johnny? lol it was the xmas specials i was watching it was a girl she had working with her - im presuming johnny was sum1 she worked with because she was right rude to that girl - she cums across as one of them women you want to slap silly, lol so id feel sorry for any of her helpers..... if she talked to them like that on screan then what was she like off screan.

Back