• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Loose Skin Ques for those that have lost a lot of weight?

Hi...another Loopy person about....good to see :)

I've been talking this wekend to my family about getting a boob job. Just hoping they take pity on me and give me the money for it now..lol

AManda
xx

Hi Kelly,

Congratulations on your weight loss of 14 stone, that is fabulous!!!

Did you mean you lost 14 stone in a year, or over a year ago?

It is very impressive!

Hi LT
I'm hugely impressed with your weight loss: well done!!

Did you have your surgery done on the NHS?

Hi Debbie
No i didn't have it done on the NHS as the waiting list was quite long and you have to get weighed every month to make sure your bmi stays in the range it should be.If you have a little slip up you get taken of the list till the next time your weighed if your back where thay say you should be you get put back on the list at the bottom.So this can make the progress even longer.:(

Hiya All

Princessbex, sorry didn't see your tracker, hope you got the blood tests sorted in time. My god its so close, I bet you are starting to feeling nervous.

Loopytiger, fantanstic loss, you must be so thrilled to have lost your weight. Are you happy with your tummy tuck and whats the scar like. + if you work, how long were you off for?

Hi jellybabe
Yes very very pleased to have lost the weight:D :D :D.My scar is very good i had already had 3 c-sections so having the tummy tuck got rid of all those scars.And even though i don't work i know of other people who have had the surgery who took two weeks off i think it all depends on what you do.

Hi Carol,

That was such an awful experience for you and I can understand why you would not want to go near another operation ever again.

While none of us would be happy with loose skin...it is still much better to be healthy and fit...the weight does get to the joints eventually, so it is well worth it to lose the weight anyways.

I do a lot of moisturising in the hope it will work and that I wont need any reconstruction...like that I would not be keen on having it done, but at the end of the day no one knows until they get to where their goal is and then see how one feels.

I am a big scaredy cat when it comes to hospital:eek: dentists, doctors...etc.:rolleyes: but I do have a lovely dentist and two very nice lady doctors.

Hi Mini,

Funnily enough I'm not scared of the dentist or docs (though I used to be when I was a child!) but the thought of having any more surgery doesn't thrill me. I know that as long as I'm given a course of anti-biotics I should be okay with surgery but there is always that little nagging doubt in the back of my mind.

I'm not happy with my wobbly bits, especially my tummy and legs but as long as I can disguise them I'm hoping they'll shrink back a bit! Probably just fooling myself aren't I? Haha!

Carolxxx

i really want to have a tummy tuck and maybe a boob job done. Since i had 3 kids and became enormously huge on each baby (first was 9lb 1 ) I have had a large flap of skin left even when i have slimmed down in the past. Now I am loosing again this time i really would like to get it done. Trouble is you hear so many bad stories on TV and I dont know where to start looking for a really good surgeon. Can anyone point me in the right direction for tummy tucks and natural lookin boobs. I really like the idea of going abroad as i dont have much money and could do with the saving but im even more worried about finding the right surgeon abroad. Also if I ever stupidley put the weight back on in a few yrs time would the skin still stretch ok if some has been removed, I might burst lol.

When I'd almost got to goal, totally fed up with well meaning friends' advice re exercising more or rubbing creams into my skin, I consulted a dermatologist to see whether anything could help the excess skin issue.

She replied what I pretty much guessed, but needed an expert to say it to back me up, that NOTHING would help. That by losing almost 12 stone at my advanced age(!) (I was almost 40), my skin was no longer elastic enough to *ping* back into shape. She said I could rub Nivea or any cheap cream in as just the rubbing motion *might* help fractionally, but not to waste a fortune on expensive *magical* potions.

She told me that surgery would be the only way and referred me to a surgeon. Off I toddled. Convinced that it wasn't something I wanted to do, but needing to hear what he recommended.

After examining me intently, he told me that I'd need THREE body lifts: first raising the skin up my legs so that I no longer have the little fold above my knees raised right up to my thighs; then a tummy tuck; then a breast/arm operation (by which stage I was going green so didn't take that bit in very well). He told me that each operation would involve a week's hospitalisation, a month's convalescence, and that in his opinion unless the skin was causing psychological problems for me, I wouldn't necessarily be up for the pain/discomfort involved (and the risk of infection associated with that sort of surgery). He also added that it was important that the operations were done in that specific order for a good result.

Since then (this was three years ago), my skin has got better (couldn't tell you at what stage I noticed though). But also I've learned to live with it and accept it. My little rolls of skin are only visible when I'm naked, as I dress appropriately to hide it, and to me are my *battle scars* of where I was, and where I never want to be again. A constant reminder and spur, if you like.

Being slim is such a fabulous thing for me, after years of being obese, that the odd restriction at not being able to wear a micro mini skirt (haaaa - as if I would have!) or a boob tube doesn't affect me.

So far no regrets - maybe one day but for now each day is a joy.

I admire all of you who have done it, and don't want in any way to dissuade anyone thinking of doing it, but thought I'd give you another perspective from someone who saw a surgeon and decided against it.

First of all I wanna say thanks to everyone who has shared their stories and experiences :) awesome!
Also congrats to everyone who has and hasnt had the surgery and is happy with their body.

with 11stone to lose I think its obvious I will need surgery too. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Ive got a long wait to go anyway!

I really dont want surgery as Im really scared :(

Hoping that with my gradual weight losses and massaging bio oil into my skin I might be okish. Plus im 26 ok its not exactly a spring chicken, but I might still have a teeny bit elasticity left in my skin.

One can hope :eek:

hi princess

:) hi it all depends on what skin type you are weather it goes back in to shape or not. Good luck on your weight loss jorney :D

First of all I wanna say thanks to everyone who has shared their stories and experiences :) awesome!
Also congrats to everyone who has and hasnt had the surgery and is happy with their body.

with 11stone to lose I think its obvious I will need surgery too. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. Ive got a long wait to go anyway!

I really dont want surgery as Im really scared :(

Hoping that with my gradual weight losses and massaging bio oil into my skin I might be okish. Plus im 26 ok its not exactly a spring chicken, but I might still have a teeny bit elasticity left in my skin.

One can hope :eek:

Hi Princess,

I do believe in massage and the bio oil did fade my stretch marks that I had from my skin stretching, they are silver now and not too noticeable.

Before even starting my journey it was wondering about loose skin is really what held me back for years losing the weight and it was a throw away comment by my uncle when I was almost 13 stone and that was he looked at me at my other uncles funeral and said with a smirk...when you lose that weight your going to have awful problems with loose skin and wrinkles:eek:

I felt so scared...and shortly before that when I was doing WW one of those times:rolleyes: I met this woman who said, God, when you lose that weight you will have wrinkles like me:eek:

So everyone had their opinion...little did I think or know at the time I would go all the way to 18 stone.:(

I have lost six stone and so far so good...

I do a little bit of body brushing not as often as I use to and massage a few times a week, not as religious about it as I was.

Would like to lose another three stone for sure and maybe we will see then and I might go a bit further...depends.

I know for sure that I prefer the weight off as I feel so much better and healthier and happier in myself.

Love Mini xxx

Finances - will the NHS help?

Hi, I know I am being very premature about this, but, I hate the thought of losing this weight to find that I have to beg steal or borrow to finally get my body to where I want it to be! How bad does it have to be for the NHS to actually help out?

Is it something you can get on a list for before you reach goal so that by the time you get to goal you are somewhere near the top?

How long IS the waiting list... you know what.. I see my nurse on Tues for my fortnightly BP check.. I'm going to ask her to talk to my GP about it now and forewarn them that I will be doing my damndest next year to get whatever surgery is needed - in the meantime all this talk of loose skin has made me think seriously about starting an exercise regime... I do know I will have a major problem with my right inner thigh already.... sheesh, not as simple as just shifting the damn weight is it!!!

I'm SO impressed by all your posts though - thanks for starting this thread! I look forward in many respects to facing the problem of loose skin next year sometime!

Jennie

Hi Princess,

I do believe in massage and the bio oil did fade my stretch marks that I had from my skin stretching, they are silver now and not too noticeable.

Before even starting my journey it was wondering about loose skin is really what held me back for years losing the weight and it was a throw away comment by my uncle when I was almost 13 stone and that was he looked at me at my other uncles funeral and said with a smirk...when you lose that weight your going to have awful problems with loose skin and wrinkles:eek:

I felt so scared...and shortly before that when I was doing WW one of those times:rolleyes: I met this woman who said, God, when you lose that weight you will have wrinkles like me:eek:

So everyone had their opinion...little did I think or know at the time I would go all the way to 18 stone.:(

I have lost six stone and so far so good...

I do a little bit of body brushing not as often as I use to and massage a few times a week, not as religious about it as I was.

Would like to lose another three stone for sure and maybe we will see then and I might go a bit further...depends.

I know for sure that I prefer the weight off as I feel so much better and healthier and happier in myself.

Love Mini xxx

Mini what a scary comment from your uncle! :( not nice at all!
Whats body brushing if you dont mind me asking?
Im sooooo glad for you that after 6 stone (very well done!!!) its so far so good! Sounds to me like yo will be just fine! :D

I agree that being slim and healthy is way more important than some loose skin. Though we all still worry :eek:
xxx

Hi Princess,

Body brushing or dry skin brushing which it is also sometimes called is a form of exfoliation of dead skin cells which enables your skin to breath and renew itself as the action of brushing whilst removing old dead skin cells aslo stimulates and improves the circulation to the skin and it bring nutrients and oxygen along with strengthening the elastin fibers which is what gives skin its elasticity or spring.

It is also very good for our immune system as it helps with lymp flow.

. Over 70% of the initial lymphatics are in and just under the skin. The initial lymphatic is a very delicate structure, one cell thick. Those cells are supported within the connective tissue by collagen and elastin fibers that help to anchor them in place.

The role of tissue fluid is to deliver the nutrients to the cells. The role of lymph is to take away the old debri that is left behind and to dispose of it.

As lymph continues to circulate between the cells it collects waste products that were left behind including dead blood cells, pathogens, and cancer cells. This clear fluid also becomes protein-rich as it absorbs dissolved protein from between the cells.

Body brushing helps with lymph flow and in return helps with the condition of your skin and your health over all.

Back