• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Make some room on the losers bench - I've been banded!

Had my surgery this morning :)

It's all so far so good. It seemed so quick, one minute I'm lying on the table listening to jokes from the anaesthetist about my job, then it feel a tingle in my bum (how strange!) and then my limbs got really heavy and I laughed and said "I'm going" then literally about 10 seconds later I woke up!!!

Have spent the day sleeping off and on, the blooming shoulder pain kept waking me up. The surgeon has just been round and given me the green light so I'm good to go.

I don't know what size my band is, it says "AP Small" on the box and he has put 4mls in it. I have 3 tiny little nicks and then a larger wound covered in a dressing.

So that's me officially joining you on the losers bench! Weighed in at exactly 13 stone this morning, not great as I'm a short arse, but hopefully that's the last time I ever see that number.

Thank you. I'm currently enjoying the bestest cup-a-soup in the world. Infact it's now gone cold but I'm still sipping away at it lol.

Haha, I had nothing but water until the following morning, when I had the nicest cup of coffee in my entire life! Enjoy that cup-a-soup:D

I'm glad that you came through the op so well and sound so positive. I'm looking forward to your updates as I head towards my own band op in 18 days!!! Scary!

Glad it all went well! Where did you have the op?

That cup-a-soup is the most amazing thing in the world isn't it? Tastes soooooooo good.

A small band will be a 10ml one, I only had 1.8mm put in mine to start with and only have 4.8ml after my first fill!

Take is easy and best wishes for a speedy recovery x

Wind pain -OMG! I totally underestimated what it was going to be like.

Its 3.30am and ive been awake for a while with it. Have had a windeeze, done the windmill arms, and am sat drinking peppermint tea with a hot wheat bag on my shoulder.

If it wasn't for that then I would be pain free. Oh well, it's a small price to pay.

Hiya, congrats on your op! i too am a short arse wish i was at your weight now good luck with everything! x x

Day 3 post op

Well I would be feeling fantastic if it wasn't for the wind pain. My left shoulder is in agony every time I stand up - but it I'm sat leaning over to the left then nothing. Therefore I'm spending far too much of my days sitting down. On the plus side though I'm belching and farting well so hopefully it will pass in a day or two.

I think I'm drinking enough, although I'm not too good with cold drinks so have been having lots of hot milk and milky coffee. I need to try to have more soup but I just don't have the appetite for it right now but I guess this will improve soon.

Franky I'm pleased to let you know that constipation is not a problem right now, although have some DulcoEase at the ready just in case.

Blanderbird I had the op at Dolan Park. They were really lovely there and made me feel at ease.

Surgeon was Mr Sigurdsson, lovely lovely man.

Ive just been reading through some diaries and somebody suggested drinking marmite for wind pain, something to do with the salt in it. Don't have marmite so I'm now sipping a mug of Bovril. Yuk! But if it works then it's worth it lol.

Congrats on the op. The shoulder pain is crappy and miserable. I hope it passes for you soon. I took loads of windeze and went for little walks but it lasted a month I am afraid. Fingers crossed yours is quicker!

Mint tea is also good for wind.
I wouldn't worry about not fancying soup yet, as long as you're getting enough liquids and you're not getting dehydrated.

Fingers crossed the wind shifts soon:)

Day 4 post op

Well the day started great.

No wind pain so I pottered about the house doing a bit of washing and stuff. Took off the dressing and the wound looks like its healing well. My appetite came back last night and today I felt really hungry. Had a smoothie, a couple of mugs of hot milk and some soup by lunch time. Even managed to walk the dog for 10 mins.

But now the wind pain has returned so I'm back on the settee. It's definitely not as bad as yesterday but still painful enough to stop me in my tracks. Feeling a bit better every day so looking forward to tomorrow.

Glad to hear that you're surgery went well and that you're battling through the windpain. There's a whole host of things that people try - gripe water, infacol, peppermint tea or cordial, deflatine, windeze (boots own brand are also quite good), moving your arms in a windmill like motion and moving around as much as you're able. Some people find relief from having their back rubbed (kind of like winding a baby), some find help from a heat pad or hot water bottle. Worth a try if you find that the wind is an issue.

Welcome to banded life :)

Back