• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Mandies journey

Thats not good. Sounds like you need some taken out - have you told hospital?

I can understand where u r coming from but it does take a few fills to notice fully! I've had 3 fills in 10ml band and have 5.6ml in it! I do have restriction now although it is your head that has to do most of the work to begin with! Keep portions small and u will be on your way to great losses when restriction is at its best! Don't eat things because u can like bread and meats as u need to start as u mean to carry on! Sorry but I say like many others told me at your stage...it's a tool not a solution, you have to work hard at the start before restriction kicks in!! Good luck and keep focused! X

tanychance said:
I can understand where u r coming from but it does take a few fills to notice fully! I've had 3 fills in 10ml band and have 5.6ml in it! I do have restriction now although it is your head that has to do most of the work to begin with! Keep portions small and u will be on your way to great losses when restriction is at its best! Don't eat things because u can like bread and meats as u need to start as u mean to carry on! Sorry but I say like many others told me at your stage...it's a tool not a solution, you have to work hard at the start before restriction kicks in!! Good luck and keep focused! X

Well put! I was at 6ml before I felt a difference and that's when you go in a big learning curve of how to eat with a band. Allowing time for each mouthful to drip down, taking mini breaks etc...all things you'll learn to work with in time. It can also take a couple of weeks to be ready for solids at that stage too as I found out, so it's not about band being too full it's about learning how to use it. If things don't stay down go back onto liquids for a few days as keeping trying stuff will only aggravate it further. Hope this helps x

i havent told them yet, going to try soft food again today and if no better will phone up x

2nd fill OMG !

Hi

had my second fill yesterday as found i had no restriction after the first of 3 and a quarter mls. They out 1.75 in yesterday taking me to five intotal.

OMG i cant believe how bad i feel :( Im not sure if this is normal and what restriction is meant to feel like and would love some advice.

I have just tried weetabix very watered down with milk and the pain is unbelievable. Have had a couple of coffees this morning and they do go down ok but not finishing them and they take a while.

i feel as if i have a constant lump in my chest which makes me think im not hungry if that makes sense?

Im constantly belching and very strange sounds coming out of my mouth lol.

Is this normal so soon after a fill because i didnt get any of this with my first one?

I am not PB'ing though thankfully :)

Thanks

Mandie

Could take one or two weeks before easing off, all sounds normal when it was only yesterday! I wasn't advised to have weetabix after one day tho...daft as it sounds it may be too soon?!

Having a bad time :(

Hi all

Well I had my second fill on Thursday which took me up to 5mls in total. Have found the restriction very hard to deal with and starting to wonder what have I done!

Since I had the fill I can't even finish my cup of coffee as it is too uncomfortable. Since Thursday it takes me about an hour to even eat a yoghurt. Is this normal to literally not be able to eat anything without feeling like I'm choking ??

I can't say I feel particularly hungry but know I need to be eating and drinking so I keep trying. Even soup is a task in itself and struggle to even have half.

I have felt utterly drained today and kind I'd detached if that makes any sense. Ended up rowing with my husband cause he makes out like I'm doing it on purpose and I can't describe to him how difficult it is. Had chocolate and that was fine strangely enough so don't think he can understand it. Neither can I to be honest.

Can someone please tell me Iif this is normal or is it too tight?

Mandie

It sounds like its too tight to me? Give your provider a call! Also the arguing with your husband thing is normal!!! I'm surprised it's not documented more but it seems to happen to most of us on this journey. I read somewhere it's to do with hormones released in our fat cells!!!! Dunno if it's true but theres a link some how for sure!!! Hope you feel better, stay strong!!

Thanks for your reply. I have spoken to the nurse today who has said it sounds too tight if i am struggling to eat or drink anything.

It has surprised me as didnt think it would feel like that with only 5mls in.

They are going to take .5 out tomorrow at 1130 so looking forward to feeling a little bit happier and not like i have a huge lump in my throat.

Mandie xxxx

Poor you, that sounds so painful. I bet you will be relieved to lose that 0.5 mils. Better safe than sorry! Good luck :)

Just wanted to update. I was. Poked in for .5ml out of my band today due to really struggling with liquids and absolutely no chance of anything food wise.

Had a breakthrough last night tho and liquids suddenly started to go down fine and the awful feeling in my chest seemed to go. I tried 2 pieces of chicken and again they went down fine. It was enough but no pain and no coming back up :)

I'm just guessing that maybe it took longer than I thought for any swelling to go down. I am so happy today and loving being able to eat but with the restriction there it really has stopped me being able to have too much.

Hang in there it will pass and you will soon feel better and not wonder what you have let yourself in for. I'm loving it now :))

Thanks for your comments though this site is a godsend .

Mandie xxx

Getting very disheartened

Hi all

I have 5ml in a 14ml band at the moment. I was going to have a small defill as thought it was too tight as couldnt manage hardly anything even liquid was a struggle. However i have decided against it because feeling much better in that way now and am able to eat small portions etc...

However i am getting so disheartened as i dont seem to be losing hardly any weight.

I definitely have restriction and it varies at different times of the day. Can no longer eat bread without feeling the pain of it getting stuck.

Am i being too impatient as i do know its slower with the band but do feel how the hell can i not have lost anything in the last 10 days considering the small amounts i am eating?

Thanks

mandi e

Hi Mandi. Looking at advice from others, especially who have reached goal, you may not be eating enough and your body has locked down to protect muscles, which include your organs. Between 1100-1300 calories looks optimum, making sure you get protein first. This is what I am going to aim to do. Perhaps add to your intake with protein rich shakes for a while to kick start your weight loss, you should also feel better in yourself and more motivated. Hope this helps. Traceyx

Hello. What kind of meals are you having, hows your fluid intake and how many calories per day are u consuming. ty x

Hi Mandie,

I totally understand and am feeling the same way. I am just over 2 weeks post op and I put a pound on last week after eating only up to 800 cals a day. How does that work!!
I too have a 14ml band but it is empty and I do not get my first fill till the 13 august. But I am worried what difference is a fill going to make? It is supposed to make you feel fuller faster, fuller longer, eat smaller portions. Well I did all that last week on my own and NOTHING!!
I am even at this early stage starting to worry I picked the wrong surgery. I choose lap band because I could afford it and wanted it done asap. I really wanted the sleeve but would have need months to save and read so many peoples sucess with the band I though if them, why not me? But now I am thinking, how can I put on weight eating next to nothing?
Now I read you have a fill and things are still slow I think if the fill is not going to do anything for me then what is the point of having this band? I know I sound really negative but I cannot help feeling made I have spent £5,000 to put on a 1lb!
So you being disheartened I really get it. HOWEVER the other half of me thinks, give yourself a shake, you just had surgery your body is adjusting, you have not had your first fill, you are not eating enough cals and your body is in ''starvation mode'' holding on to everything.
I think also I need to start excercising. Are you excercising yet? My scars are still uncomfortable and has put me off so far and I think I need to up my water as well.
We are here to encourage one another true but also we are here to be honest. If we are struggeling or disappointed we are free to say let it all out too. It does make me feel better to have a good old whinge and I hope you feel better too airing your worries and I hope you get some great advice.
How much have you lost so far? I am sure once you get into a rythem you with get there. Flutterby, Jo, bluediamond etc all give great advice and are wonderfully inspirational. We need to take heed to what they say. I feel you, trust me I totally do...

Hi Bella
Hope you are feeling more positive now; I share you anxieties as I as self-funding a band too. I know I will be impatient to lose weight, but also know I will need to be patient at the outset whilst body recovers. Hopefully you will begin to see losses soon - my feeling is you are possibly not taking enough calories in so your body is holding on to what it has whilst you are in recovery. Look forward to seeing your progress./ traceyx

Ive not lost much in the past month either, it's really disheartening :( I've started to feel like I've wasted my money!! I'm sure I'm just extra down today as usually I'm really positive! I'm fed up of being patient now, there's only so long I can last it feels!!!! Had my 2nd fill yesterday taking me to 5.5ml. Let's hope I feel some change!!!! X

Hi Bella
Hope you are feeling more positive now; I share you anxieties as I as self-funding a band too. I know I will be impatient to lose weight, but also know I will need to be patient at the outset whilst body recovers. Hopefully you will begin to see losses soon - my feeling is you are possibly not taking enough calories in so your body is holding on to what it has whilst you are in recovery. Look forward to seeing your progress./ traceyx

Thanks Tracey, I do not want to sound down about it but I have to share my feelings honestly. I am giving it time and having a wait and see attitude. If it has worked for others I do not see why it will not work for me. But this is the place to have a good old whinge and air your worries dont you think? After all this is probably the place you will get the best advice, those of us who are actually going and gone through it.
Thank you and look forward to seeing your progress too :)

Why dont you try logging what you are eating, try myfitnesspal. It calculates how many calories you need to lose weight based on your height / weight / activity levels. 800 cals is very low xx

Aw ladies I feel your pain but lets turn this around. I can only help by telling you what worked for me, it neither makes it right or wrong however, and everyone does differ. I had 800 cals ish per day throughout, 2l water per day, prob around 60g protein per day and tried to not let my carbs go above 70g per day......that's the hard bit., I also got my treadmill going, just by raising my heart rate for 15 mins a day I'm sure was a key part of success. do you log your intake to look at the nutritional breakdown? Might be worth it, as Mazza has suggested myfitnesspal is great for this. Xx

Back