• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Missy’s Journey!

Missyme

Missyme

DAY 9... An average day today. Had a protein soup this morning as I was out having hair and nails done today and didn’t want to go too long without food. I’ve bought some Arla & Skyr yoghurts. I will have to add some milk/water to them to liquidise them. Not sure how I’m going to find them. I’ve also bought one of the protein drink shakes... I’m not good with milkshakes so I’m not expecting I will like it. Another 1lb down today, which I didn’t expect! Another 1lb will give me my 2 stone and It’s 3 weeks 2 days since starting the pre-op diet. I added 30g of 50% less fat cheese to my soup and blended it. This added just under 10g of protein. I haven’t added Marvel - I’m apprehensive towards the taste and not sure if it’s added after the soup is cooked? Do you just drop the powder in and blend? I drove for the first time today and it was fine.

Maria61

DAY 9... An average day today. Had a protein soup this morning as I was out having hair and nails done today and didn’t want to go too long without food. I’ve bought some Arla & Skyr yoghurts. I will have to add some milk/water to them to liquidise them. Not sure how I’m going to find them. I’ve also bought one of the protein drink shakes... I’m not good with milkshakes so I’m not expecting I will like it. Another 1lb down today, which I didn’t expect! Another 1lb will give me my 2 stone and It’s 3 weeks 2 days since starting the pre-op diet. I added 30g of 50% less fat cheese to my soup and blended it. This added just under 10g of protein. I haven’t added Marvel - I’m apprehensive towards the taste and not sure if it’s added after the soup is cooked? Do you just drop the powder in and blend? I drove for the first time today and it was fine.
You are doing amazingly well x

Lottiewishes

I am not to sure on protein shake either ;) I can't help about the marvel milk sorry. Adding low fat cheese sounds a fab idea. Xxx

Emma1504

You are doing really well.

Missyme

Missyme

DAY 10... TOTM arrived today (Friday) and my weight has stayed the same. I was out until 2am so my post is a little late! I took my NAS Ribena to the pub with me. Fortunately, it’s my friend’s pub so I could do this. I’m not sure what to drink in a pub apart from water. I don’t know if their cordial would be NAS- I imagine not! I don’t drink alcohol but loved my Coke Zero. My plan is to never return to fizzy drinks again. From what I’ve read, bypass patients shouldn’t drink fizzy drinks but I do know some who are a few years out that do. It was great to go out last night and feel slimmer at Xmas rather than hibernating because I’ve gained too much weight. We are off to my husband’s friends for NYE tonight, which I would’ve avoided due to festive weight gain. I think I’ll need a power nap this afternoon. I had my 3rd soup (protein) at 2am this morning. I really didn’t want it but I’m ensuring I eat the correct amount of protein.
Current daily diet (10 days post op) ...

B = 1/2 (100g) Arla protein yoghurt (10g of protein) with extra milk added to thin.
Mid- morning/lunch Cambridge protein soup (16.6g protein)
Early evening = homemade soup either pea & ham or turkey & veg with 30g of 50% less fat cheese (10g protein from cheese not sure of protein in soup but I put a lot in!)
Late evening = Cambridge protein soup = 16.6g protein.
Drinks... usually 2 x cups of tea (250ml each) and NAS Ribena approx 700mls. My soups above are 250mls each.

I feel like I can tolerate quite a bit at this stage. Hope what I’m having is ok, but it’s whats recommended post-op. I do have to force myself a lot of the time to have the above as I don’t feel hungry and it sometimes is a push to get the 3rd soup in. I’ve only added the yoghurt and cheese over the last couple of days. My weight has stayed at 15.2 and it is TOTM! Pleased with how I’m progressing. I have another 18 days on liquids. My surgeon insists on 4 weeks fluids, 2 weeks puréed and 2 weeks soft food. I will have to ensure I remain mindful to my eating when I return to work. I often don’t eat all day at work, but I get the feeling with my bypass that it doesn’t like going without regular food. Do others find this? I seem to eat when my tummy gets an empty feeling? I think it doesn’t like that feeling. I imagine needing to eat small but often when I’m on a normal diet. Happy New Year everyone! Here’s to a thinner 2018!

Missyme

DAYS 11 & 12...
Yesterday (day 11) I reached my 2 stone loss since pre-op (3 weeeks 4 days). Weight loss seems to have slowed down, which is to be expected after the initial large loss. I went to a house party for NYE so I took a bottle of flavoured water, which I found to be terribly sweet. Struggled to get my meals in yesterday. Really wasn’t up to eating. Going out makes it more difficult, so I plan to do better today. Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:

Maria61

DAYS 10 & 11...
Yesterday (day 10) I reached my 2 stone loss since pre-op (3 weeeks 4 days). Weight lossseems to have slowed down, which is to be expected after the initial large loss. I went to a house party for NYE so I took a bottle of flavoured water, which I found to be terribly sweet. Struggled to get my meals in yesterday. Really wasn’t up to eating. Going out makes it more difficult, so I plan to do better today. Happy New Year everyone!
Happy new year to you. You are doing amazingly well xx

Missyme

Lottiewishes

Well done on loss and happy new year to YOU xxxx

Missyme

Missyme

Day 13...
Nothing much to report... all is going well. Had a couple of patches of dry, itchy skin- I have a feeling the anaesthetic/stress of the op does this to me as I seem to remember something similar after my other ops. I’m getting roughly 2 litres of fluid a day in. I’m trying to be more active in preparation for my return to work next week. I’ve done 7,500 steps today and aim to do at least 5000 a day. However, the weather is not helping as it’s been tipping it down for days. I managed to get around some shops today and then took the dog on a walk. My hubster has returned to working away and my daughter has gone back to uni, so it’s home alone for me for the first time since my op. I seem to struggle to eat in a morning and this is a problem if I’m going out as I did this morning. It’s difficult having soup/yoghurt on the go! I should probably get a flask. I haven’t had any CWP protein soups today and I don’t seem to feel sick as much; I feel like I’m going off them but I know they have lots of nutrients in. I have bought some chicken, kale, broccoli, carrots, butter beans and spinach to make a high protein soup tomorrow to freeze. I’m also going to do another pea & ham soup with the ham I froze from Christmas. I bought some great tip n seal freezer bags before Xmas which are ideal for freezing soup as you can re-heat the soup in them as well as they stand up. Invested in some more as I’ve got another 2 weeks on liquid. I didn’t measure how much protein was in my pea & ham and Xmas soup as I was just about up to chucking it all in the soup maker (few days post op). I’m going to work out the protein in my homemade soups that I do tomorrow. The dietician is phoning me in the morning, so I will check all I’m doing is correct and also about how to add the Marvel to soup.

Lottiewishes

You sound v focused hun and making soups sound v healthy xxxx

Missyme

You sound v focused hun and making soups sound v healthy xxxx
Thanks @Lottiewishes. I seem to be able to eat more. I can now do 350mls of soup... will check with the dietician tomorrow. My booklet says 6 x 200mls so hope 350 isn’t too much in one go although I only have 2 of these a day and usually a 250 ml protein soup and/or 100g of yoghurt with milk. Hope all is well with you and your friendship trouble gets sorted. Xx

Missyme

Missyme

2 weeks post-op...
I didn’t get much sleep last night with the howling wind, which had blown one of my side gates off one of its hinges and was then battering against the side of the house. Home alone, I attempted to bolt the 6ft gate but was trying to hold the light on my phone and couldn’t fight the wind and my op to get the strength to do it with one hand. I went down again at 6am as it was lighter and managed to do it. Picked up a small conifer tree in a slate pot to wedge against the bottom of the gate and was then cross with myself as I realised I shouldn’t be lifting anything heavy. So, I’ve felt groggy and tired today. Was determined not to sit around so I made some batches of soup. I had my phone call with the dietician and she advised how to use the Marvel and that this would be better than the LF cheese I’ve been adding to my soup. The Marvel actually takes the bitterness out of the soup and slightly sweetens it (but not too sweet as I can’t tolerate sweet tastes at the minute). I thought I’d been eating about 350 mls yesterday in one go but then realised today that the measures in the soup bags I’m using aren’t accurate enough. I’ve made pea & ham and chicken with kale, spinach, broccoli, carrots, onion, broad beans and chopped tomatoes. The pea and ham is lush but the chicken soup is very green and tastes a bit too much of kale/spinach... I’ve made loads so hope I can get it down! 200mls measured out and I’ve calculated all the protein. 15g for P& H and 16g for chicken/veg. Not bad for 200mls. The portion sizes seem to be just manageable but there’s no way I can get 6 lots in as suggested by the dietician. I’ve managed 2 today and I’m going to try and get 2 lots of Arla in to get another 20g of protein in plus milk for tea and yoghurt. I’m probably only hitting about 53g of protein a day and I know it should be a minimum of 60g, but it is what it is! I’m really trying. I read the dumping section in my booklet today. I’ve read this before but it didn’t sink in as I was still on the pre op. It would seem from what I’ve read and my dietician thinks that the symptoms I describe after having some of the CWP products is caused by mild dumping. I feel very sick and tired and have to lie down for about 30 minutes until it passes. Sometimes I also go to the loo but it’s not loose. The dietician was surprised by this as people are usually ok on the CWP products. It doesn’t happen all the time and this could be related to how fast I consume it. However, it has to be consumed within 15 mins of making. I’ve not had any today and not had any dumping (if that’s what it is). I completed 8,000 steps yesterday and 7,000 today. Weight is still 15st 1. Feels like it’s been at that forever! I probably shouldn’t weigh myself everyday... just desperate to hit the 14s! I was 3 stone heavier than my husband a couple of months ago and I’m now only 2lb heavier... he knows I’m gunning to be lighter than him! I’ll soon overtake him!

Lottiewishes

You will soon overtake hubby my lovely. So you just add the marvel powder to cooked soup? Xxxx