• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ms R Simpkin's Post-Op Diary!

msrsimpkin

So, I'm 2 and 1/2 days out of surgery and I thought if keep a diary of my meals and experiences. I'm going to make sure I write down everything I put in my mouth, even if it's only a teeny bit of something. I'm making sure I do this so I can get used to monitoring my intake. And so I have something to refer back to if I eat something that doesn't agree with me.

I'm just monitoring from the start of the second day, because I was only allowed sips of water the day on my surgery.

Day 1 (24 hours after surgery)

Breakfast: Small beaker of Fresh orange juice, watered down
Lunch: 1/4 mug of chicken soup, strained
Dinner: 1/2 cup of banana & strawberry smoothie, strained
Snack: Teaspoon of fromage frais (couldn't eat the rest, it gave me stomach ache)
Fluids: Around 1litre of water

And that concluded my first day of liquid phase. Other than the chronic trapped wind from the surgery, it was more manageable than I expected. Although I have to get used to not feeling hungry. That's definitely a new experience! Haha

Also, noted that I need to get more water in. Trying to sip as much as I can today!

Last edited:

msrsimpkin

So, it's now day 3 post-op (full days, day 4 if I count the day of surgery), and I'm feeling pretty good, actually! Apart from waking up with acid a few times in the night, the pain was quite bearable. I phoned my nurse this morning to ask about the acid, as I'm already on lanzoprazol, but she just advised me to double the dose for a few days and she'll phone me on Monday to see if it's helped.

The gas seems to have eased off a bit now. Well, until I try and take my meds! I think I'm still swallowing too much air, even though I'm breaking them up small and swallowing then with tiny sips of water. Luckily, it doesn't last too long, just uncomfortable for a while.

So, yesterday I managed to tolerate the fromage frais. In fact, it sat quite well on my stomach. It took me about 1/2 an hour to eat a tiny pot, but at least it didn't cause me any wind or acid. That was nice. So, I had another for my dinner! Heh

Day 2

B: 50g of fromage frais
L: 1/2 mug of strained beef broth
D: 50g of framage frais
S: 100ml fresh orange juice
F: About 1L of water (still need to drink more!)

I still can't believe how little I'm eating! I literally have to make myself eat because I haven't felt hungry at all yet. But I'm taking it slow, and making sure I don't have too much at this early stage.

I'm going to try and get some Lactofree milk and protein powder, as I really need to up my protein intake!

Last edited:

Vegas

What meds are you taking? You know you can get lansoprazole that melts on tongue and most come in chewable. / liquid form if you need them. Also after a few days of wind issues I took deflatine, it was like a miracle. Good luck, sounds like your doing well with the fluids

msrsimpkin

Yeah, I have the kind that melt on your tongue, they're okay. But they've given me paracetamol, codeine and some anti sickness drugs in tablet form. The paracetamol are quite big, so I have to break them up, but that just means swallowing more times. Heh. I find spacing out each tablet at least a minute or two helps a bit.

The worst of all has to be the laxative! Oh my god, is that stuff sweet! Absolutely revolting! Like honey mixed with sugar syrup! Yuck!

But nothing beats having to inject yourself in the stomach every day! No one warned me about that pre-op! Mr goes extremely squeamish when it's time for my belly needles. Haha.

Vegas

Hahaha yeah those injections are really bad. You might find you can do without the paracetamol and anti sickness soon xx

msrsimpkin

So, I thought I'd use up an old Ultra Slim sachet I still had in the cupboard to try and get a bit of of protein in. Well, I made it up with milk, like it said, and have had HORRIBLE stomach ache ever since, and nothing will take it off! Feel horribly bloated and sore! I should have thought about it, I experienced this with my pre-op diet, but it's SO much worse now! Oopsy.

I've just ordered some shopping online, and added some skimmed Lactofree milk, so I'll try that tomorrow, when it's been delivered.

So far today I've had:

B: 50g fromage frais
L: 250ml Ultra Slim

I don't know if I'll end up eating anything else tonight, if this stomach ache doesn't let up. I'll try, but it's not looking hopeful! :/

sophiapink100

How are you finding it all in general post op? Pain etc?

Sounds daft but they gave me paracetamol that dissolves in water, well as soon as I had it I would throw it back up. So my mum went out and bought me calpol 6+ you can get ones that melt (mega fast) on your tongue and also ones that are like syrup - moth taste pretty yummy.

In terms of the acid tablets make sure you take the 2 a day and don't forget! I forgot to take my morning one yesterday and boy did I pay for it last night.

How's the liquid going? I am day 10 and do struggle to get much in, I think I'm still pretty swollen inside.

X

msrsimpkin

The pain in general had been quite tolerable. Apart from the bloated feeling I've had most of the day from the milk I had earlier.

I will definitely stick with the 2 lanzoprazol a day. I've just taken my night time one. I probably should have taken it a little earlier, though, because my stomach and chest have been very "burny" for the last hour or so.

I might look into getting some of that calpol, actually. Whenever I take my paracetamol I end up quite bloated for a while after. Hopefully the liquid stuff will help.

How are you finding it 10 days later? I'm still getting used to not feeling hungry! Haha. Although, despite not being hungry in the slightest, I'm definitely missing eating real food. I feel like I need to CHEW something! Haha.

sophiapink100

The pain in general had been quite tolerable. Apart from the bloated feeling I've had most of the day from the milk I had earlier. I will definitely stick with the 2 lanzoprazol a day. I've just taken my night time one. I probably should have taken it a little earlier, though, because my stomach and chest have been very "burny" for the last hour or so. I might look into getting some of that calpol, actually. Whenever I take my paracetamol I end up quite bloated for a while after. Hopefully the liquid stuff will help. How are you finding it 10 days later? I'm still getting used to not feeling hungry! Haha. Although, despite not being hungry in the slightest, I'm definitely missing eating real food. I feel like I need to CHEW something! Haha.

I found the pain tolerable as well, worst days for me were 5&6 as I think I got a bit cocky and over did it.

The calpol was a god send, the fast melts were the best because it meant no more liquid. I've struggled with the amount of liquid meds I have to take. The wrist for me has been anti biotics I've been on since leaving hospital.

I am getting on well, I lie I'm 11 days out lol. I still don't feel hungry and having to force myself to eat. Tonight I re read the booklet and realised you can have low fat hot chocolate so I ran out and bought done options - oh my!!! I made it with milk and it was amazing!! Other than that I've been living off actamel and soup (bore) but it does the trick.

Ah chewing - one thing I've helped with that a little. Someone else suggested tesco value ice lollies (she checked and we are fine to have them) they're amazing for hydrating and having a little chew on as they then melt in your mouth so your not really chewing if that makes sense?

msrsimpkin

Ohh! Typical, I've just ordered my Tesco online shop a couple of hours ago too! Haha. I might have to get someone to pick some of them up for me tomorrow. Sounds perfect in this weather!

The only liquid medicine I've been given is the laxative, but I really REALLY wish I hadn't! It's possibly the most disgusting thing I've tasted. I only have to drink 10ml twice a day, but it makes me heave, which hurts my stomach! :(
Oh well, only for a few more days, then NEVER AGAIN! lol

Glad to hear your recovery has been quite manageable. I've read of other people having a really rotten time post-op, so I guess we're among the luckier ones :)

msrsimpkin

Yeah, when I read I could have Options and the low sugar Horlicks, I was really excited! Something that feels a bit more indulgent! Haha. I LOVE the orange one. Ooh, and the Turkish delight one (SO YUMMY!), but I haven't seen that one in my local for a while :/ I'll have to go on a hunt for it now ;)

msrsimpkin

Woke up this morning in almost no pain at all. After my shopping was delivered I was lying on the bed, sweaty and bored, and just needed to get out of the house. So we walked around to my brothers for a visit. He was pretty shocked to see me.

A few family members were commenting that my clothes already look like they're hanging off me! Haha. My nephew made a joke that he could yank my jeans down without even unzipping them, and pulled on my back pocket. Well, unfortunately for him, he got a face full of bum cheek! Haha. I'm only 5 days post op!

Just sat down with a peppermint green tea, trying to shift some of this wind now. Was glad to get out of the house for a few hours and visit some family.

Changed my dressings earlier too. All seem to be healing pretty well, except for one that pulled the scab off and started bleeding! Ouchy! I'll probs have to keep an eye on that one for a while.

I still haven't felt hungry yet, so just eating when I think I should, and just keeping it small and eating slow. Haven't quite mastered the art if knowing when I'm full yet. But I tend to stop when I'm in too much pain from the wind. Hope I'm eating enough. Still trying to get enough fluids in with the weather being as icky and hot as it has been!

Day 4

B: 1/2 chocolate SlimFast (made with Lactofree milk)
L: 2/3 mug of Stilton & Broccoli cuppa soup
D: 1/2 tin low fat custard (SO GOOD!)
F: 1litre water, 1 glass NAS squash, peppermint tea

And now for my painkillers, to help me sleep soundly ;) Night guys

Last edited:

msrsimpkin

Well, woke up again in no pain at all, which was great, but as soon as I started taking sips of water, I got that bloated feeling again. Luckily, I've been reassured that this is normal at this stage, and thankfully, it does wear off!

I've also noticed that adding a little NAS squash to water makes it easier to drink. Not the taste (I always drank plain water pre op), but it seems to settle better in my stomach. I have no idea why, and would assume, if anything, it would be the other way round! But, I have to learn to listen to my body!

I've slept a lot more today (I woke up later and had a nap for a couple of hours), but that might be my body recovering from going out and being a bit more active yesterday. I just figure the more I sleep, the my body is repairing itself. So I try not to deny myself that much needed rest. Still staying as active as feels comfortable at this stage, though!

So far today I've had...

B: 50g of fromage frais
L: 2/3 mug of Mushroom cuppa soup
D: Strawberry slim fast made with Skimmed milk
S: 1/2 tin of low fat custard
F: 250ml water, 1litre NAS squash

Finding it so hard to get enough fluids in using tiny little sips! Feel like I'm literally sitting here sipping non-stop, and still not getting enough! I will keep trying!

EDIT: I had a slim fast shortly after I posted last night, and then some low fat custard later. So, I've updated my menu to reflect this.

Last edited:

msrsimpkin

Oops, almost forgot to do my Fragmin injection. Time to stab myself in the stomach again! I'll be so glad when I've not got to do this anymore!

msrsimpkin

So, I went to visit family again today. It was nice to get out the house for a few hours. Felt great all day, until I had a cup of tea. I made sure to have just a tiny drop of milk (as it wasn't lactofree) and no sugar, but it made me feel really bloated and gave me a really gurgly tummy :(

Maybe I'll be avoiding tea for a while. Coffee seems okay, at least it was when I was in hospital, haven't had any since. But tea seems to be a no no for now.

Day 6

B: 50g fromage frais
L: 2/3 mug minestrone cuppa soup
D: 3/4 mug chicken soup
F: 1litre NAS squash, tea w/ sweetener, peppermint & green tea

Gonna sit in bed and sip some peppermint green tea, and dream of the day I can actually CHEW some flipping food! Haha

msrsimpkin

Today has been pretty good. I've finally stopped taking that awful laxative and the pain is getting better and better with each day. Not just my wounds, but the acid and wind pains seem to be affecting me less every day. I'm still waking up in the night with acid, but not as bad or as often as it was last week. So that's all good :)

Took a bit of a trip out today! Well, at least it felt like it having been cooped up in the house for the majority of the last week. I asked my niece to give me a lift up to the bank so I can pay some money in and do some online shopping. I need to get some shopping in, but don't fancy a walk round the supermarket, and lugging a load of bags around. So, I'll just let the delivery man and the Mr struggle with it tomorrow ;)

Today is the first day I've managed to sip a whole cuppa soup so far, without getting painful wind before I finished it! So, yay! Progress! Even if it did take me about 25 minutes. Haha.

Day 7

B: Nothing, got up late!
L: 1/2 Muller Light Raspberry Greek Yoghurt
D: Ainsley Harriet Broccoli & Stilton cuppa soup
S: 200ml protein shake made with Lactofree milk
F: 1litre NAS squash, 200ml fresh orange

That all I've had so far today. I may have a bit if custard or a fromage frais later, if I get hungry.

EDIT: I ended up having a protein shake a bit later on as I really need to start upping my protein. Going to try and have one of these everyday, probably for breakfast.

Last edited:

msrsimpkin

Got a strange pain right in middle of my stomach today. I haven't felt this particular pain before. It wasn't excruciating, but very uncomfortable and would only go away if I pressed my stomach in. It was odd, but it soon passed and I haven't had it since. I'll keep an eye on it.

Had one of my protein shakes for breakfast, but was a bit much for me early in the morning, so maybe it would be better having that for lunch or dinner. I only drank about half of it in the end.

So, today I had...

B: 100ml protein shake made w/ Lactofree skim milk
L: Chicken Slim-a-soup
D: 60g fromage frais
S: 70g SF line jelly
F: A little over 1litre NAS

Having the shopping delivered tomorrow. Bought a couple of weight watchers ready meals to purée down and freeze into little portions, ready for next week. Can't wait to have a bit of variety! Haha. Mr is cutting out crap too, in an attempt to drop a few lbs, so I'll probably just purée a bit from the meals I'll be making for him too, since I know they'll be low fat/ healthy :)

msrsimpkin

Woke up starving! Midnight snack for me. However, must learn to eat slower! Bad stomach ache :(

Last edited:

NorthamptonGirl

How's it going today? x

msrsimpkin

Doing great today, thanks NG! How about you? How are you getting on? How far out are you now?

Shopping has just been delivered. Mr was supposed to go and get it, but it's been so hot here, so he was sitting around in just his boxers! Haha. So, I ran down to answer the door while he chucked something on, and by the time he was dressed, I'd already grabbed it all.

There wasn't really anything particularly heavy, except the cat litter, but luckily the delivery man dropped it just inside the doorway for me. Mr did carry it all to the kitchen for me, though. So that helped!

So, now I've got a couple more flavours of cuppa soup, and some meals ready to purée and portion out. I did, however, forget to pick up some little tiny tupperware to freeze the stuff! Oops!

I got myself a fish pie, a cottage pie, a chicken curry and lasagne. Mmm, can't wait til I can try them out in 5 days time :)