• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ms R Simpkin's Post-Op Diary!

msrsimpkin

Yeah, I agree. I think it has a lot to do with how big or small your surgeon made your pouch/ sleeve. I've noticed on here that there are people who are eating less than me, even a lot further out than me, but I've also noticed that there are also people who are eating quite a bit more than me. It does seem to vary a LOT!

Thanks, NG. There are a couple of times when I've looked at what I've eaten and wonder if it's too much? But I am making sure I don't overfill myself and the only time I've really had pain from eating is when I eat too fast, so that's the thing I need to work on. I know that what I'm eating now is just a fraction of what I used to eat, so that's reassuring!

msrsimpkin

Every time I eat I get a horrible feeling in my chest. Has anyone else had that? X

I'm sorry, I can't really help there as I haven't had that while eating, but I do get a pain in my chest when I have bad acid. Could it be that?

I do get a strange sensation a little after I've eating, kind of in the upper-middle of my stomach. I think it might be the food moving through the stoma, from my pouch into my intestines. Well, that's the only thing I can assume it could be anyways, as it seems to happen every time I eat. It's not painful, though, just kind of similar to when you go over a hill in the car. I'm starting to get used to that now.

Yep, slow down and chew more!!!

Yeah, I learned that the hard way!

msrsimpkin

I've just eaten possibly the oddest dinner ever, but it was so delicious! I had a couple of tablespoons of refried beans with a drizzle of Mr's low fat tikka masala sauce and a bit of cheese melted over the top. Sounds very odd, but I reeeally enjoyed it!

msrsimpkin

So, yesterday I discovered that Weight Watchers do little tins of tuna in coronation sauce that are pretty bloody yummy! They also do one with sweetcorn & mayo, and tomato & herb dressing, but I haven't tried them ones yet.
They are on offer at 2 packs for £3 at Morrisons. You get 3 tins in a pack, so it's not that bad. I find that 1 tin (80g) is just about enough for a meal, maybe with a spoon of mash if feeling particularly hungry. They're pretty go at 70-odd calories and about 7-8g protein if I remember rightly.

I think my protein intake has been better the past couple if days. Just need to work on my fluids now. I'm definitely drinking more than I used to, I've always been really bad at getting enough water! But, I think I need to be drinking more than I currently am. I'm averaging about 1 litre a day, sometimes a little more, but my booklet says to aim for 2 litres. I'm just finding it hard to sip practically non-stop! Haha

msrsimpkin

Day 22

B: 2/3 pot Alpen Porridge w/ 40ml Semi Skimmed Milk
L: Muller Light Coconut Greek Yoghurt
D: 70g Refried Beans, 50g Tikka Masala sauce, 10g Cheese
S: 1 tblsn Reduced Fat Pate
F: 500ml Flavoured Water, 500ml Vitamin D Water

Day 23

B: 35g Banana Protein Powder w/ 200ml Semi Skimmed Milk
L: 1 tin Weight Watchers Coronation Tuna
D: 1/2 tin Sardines in Tomato Sauce w/ Mashed Potato
F: 500ml Flavoured Water, 500ml Vitamin D Water, 150ml Orange Juice

Day 24

B: 1 Scrambled Egg w/ 25ml Milk, 10ml Cheese
L: 35g Strawberry Protein Powder w/ 200ml Semi Skimmed Milk
D: Just under 1/2 Paella Ready Meal
S: 35g Philadelphia Extra Light, Highlights Hazelnut Hot Chocolate w/ 40ml Milk
F: 750ml Flavoured Water, 500ml Vitamin D Water

msrsimpkin

Thank you, ttbpns!

So, the scales today tell me I'm down another 4kg! That's not just one week, though. It's been almost two weeks since I last weighed, I forgot last week. Oops! Still, I'm very happy to have lost 4kg in just under two weeks!

I managed to get a really good amount of protein in the past couple of days. Getting quite sick of the same flavours of protein shakes, but I'm forcing them down! Haha. I'm not getting any more until I've at least gotten down to half of what I've still got. Think I'm going to get some frozen fruit and make some protein smoothies to change it up a bit. Yum!

Yesterday - Day 25

B: 1 Scrambled Egg w/ Milk, Cheesy Beans purée
L: 35g Banana Protein Powder w/ 200ml Skimmed Milk
D: 1 tin Sardines in Tomato Sauce
S: Muller Light Yoghurt
F: 500ml Vitamin D Water, 500ml Flavoured Water

Today - Day 26

B: 1 Boiled Egg, mashed w/ 1 tbsp Extra Light Mayo
L: 35g Strawberry Protein Powder w/ 200ml Skimmed Milk
D: 1 portion Youngs Cod in Butter Sauce (these are pretty good, and plenty of sauce to mash it up really well!)
S: 2 tbsp Salmon Paste
F: 500ml Vitamin D Water, 500ml Flavoured Water, 50ml Tropical Juice (was horrid, so watered down :( now I know why it was so few calories!)

The morning egg has had a good impact on my protein intake, not to mention it's so yummy! I seem to be eating a LOT more fish since my op. I've always loved fish, but it seems to be mostly all I eat now. Maybe because it's easier to mash up fish than it is to blend up meat (my hand blender is cheap and quite pants sometimes!).

Stacey83

Can't recommend frozen berries enough! Every shake is slightly different! I've also started buying reduced to clear bananas and strawberries and preparing them for shakes and popping in the freezer, I'm a nerd like that!

msrsimpkin

Can't recommend frozen berries enough! Every shake is slightly different! I've also started buying reduced to clear bananas and strawberries and preparing them for shakes and popping in the freezer, I'm a nerd like that!

Ohh, that's a fab idea! I never even thought to freeze fresh fruit. The amount of fruit I've chucked because it's past it's best, and I could have just frozen it! Thanks, chick!

msrsimpkin

Is it weird that I'm craving cabbage? Like... A lot! I mean, I've always really loved cabbage, but of all the things to be craving... Hmm, only a few more weeks before I can tuck into a nice bowlful of steamed white and sweetheart cabbage, maybe with a drizzle of gravy!

Oh god, I'm salivating at the thought. Anyone got any ideas? I don't think blended cabbage will really do the trick. But if this carries on, I might be willing to try! Haha.

msrsimpkin

Haha. Yeah, it basically is, but I guess I'd have to blend it! From what I've heard cabbage is quite hard to digest as it's quite fibrous and stringy, I think if I did have it, it would have to be mush :p

msrsimpkin

Sorry I've been quiet for a couple days, I've been visiting the in laws, so I haven't really had chance to update. I've just been eating the same kind of thing as normal. Mostly fish, scrambled eggs, mashed potato. That kinda thing.

Everyone had a chippy tea while we were there, so I pinched a bit of Mr's fish (no batter, of course), and had a small portion of mushy peas. It was so lovely, and nice to feel that, even on my purée/ mashed stage, I'm not missing out!

We're going out tomorrow night for my nieces birthday. It's looking like we're going for a meal, then on to a pub crawl. So, soup and water for me all night then. Haha. I think nearly 5 weeks out is maybe a bit early to be drinking yet.

Stacey83

Ha, ha I also still do this sometimes if I'm at a posh place...I feel like some Beverly Hills housewife but I do it anyway... I ask for a fresh iced tea, sugar free with sweetener and lemon wedge on the side! They'll do it if you bat your eyelids!!! X