• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My Journey

Ian2Big

Just had my 2nd appointment at L&D and starting the milk diet for 4 weeks from Monday.
Progress to date

31 Aug 2016 - 175 kg ( Doctors)
12 Dec 2016 - 171.3 kg (1st Appointment at L&D and the offical weigh in)
03 Feb 2017 - 166.7 kg (2nd Appointment official 4.6kg loss)

Great encouragement from the Dietician, feeling great. Bit shocked that i will need to lose another 5% of my current weight during the milk diet phase. Well these are the hoops we need to jump through to get surgery.
Roll on March and the end of the Milk Diet.

Bling Babe

Hi well done on the great start, I'm also with L and D, 7 months into my year assessment, I lost 8 kilo on the milk diet and it's not really too bad, it does at least remove food choices, I used to make a 'chicken soup' with a large mug of hot milk and 2 chicken oxo cubes Mmmmmm delicious I also used some of my allowance to make a nas milk jelly, use 7f fluid ounces of boiling water to dissolve the crystals and when cool top up to pint with milk leave to set and enjoy, in my opinion raspberry was best, good luck and keep in touch with us

NigelG

Hi Ian, well you have joined a great place to share your story. Im sure this will help you achieve your journeys goals.
Welcome to the Club.
NigelG

Suffolk Joy

Hi
Hope the milk diet is going well. Remember to drink 2L of other fluid each day to help keep the system going and stave of hunger. I used my 2 oxo drinks as a savory meal for lunch and dinner.
Beware of constipation which can be a big problem (ha ha!) and keep it regular. As the doctors say 'do not delay when you are called to stool'. Senokot was my preferred choice.
SJ x

Ian2Big

Thank you. It is only day 3 and it is not as bad as I thought, but it is early days. No problem getting the extra 2 litres of fluid in just divided across the day because i can vary them and using strongly flavoured drinks such as NAS Ginger Beer. Like you using my savoury cubes for lunch and dinner, followed by milk flavoured with crusha milkshake mix.

countrywench

Hi Ian
Am I reading this right ? Your on the milk diet now until March ? 4 weeks ? Wow bless your heart sweetie .. I was a similar weight to you and had to d0 2 weeks of chicken , egg and greens .. found it tough for the first week but then it does get easier to cope with .. there are a lot of people on here who've done the milk diet and also ones who have done it for the 4 weeks .. if you need help or encouragement then please shout loud !
What surgery are you having ? You must be so excited to finally see the finishing line is site :)
Take each day for what it is and keep your fluids up .. distraction is the key .. do all those jobs around the house you've been putting off etc ..
I wish you all the luck ..
Mindy
Xxxx

Ian2Big

Hi Mindy,
Thanks for the encouragement.
The Luton & Dunstable Teir 3 appears to require you to do 4 weeks (minimum) on their Low Calorie Liquid Diet (aka Milk Diet), so still a long way off that major step of surgery, today and the next 2 days will be the worse as I am baking for my market stall on sunday, so use to tasting what i bake, but are been very good. Temptations like this come up when you don't want them but have to be strong.
You are right about the distractions, have lots planned for next week around the house, so might get my list of outstanding jobs down a bit.

Don't know what surgery as not discussed yet but probably gastric bypass. Not got a date yet suspect it will be around late autumn.

Just another step in the journey.
Ian

Hannah2

I admire anyone that does the milk diet for 4 weeks! But even more so when it is as a hoop in the journey to jump through, rather than as a liver reducing diet pre-op.

Stay strong and focus on why you are doing it.

Hopefully the 4 weeks will go quickly for you!

countrywench

So this isn't the actual run up for the op ? It's like a tester run ? Well I hope you get your op date confirmed asap ..
Xxxxx

Bling Babe

I think everyone who attends L and D has to do the milk diet for 4 weeks as soon as they start their journey with them, I actually found it fairly easy, no food choices and at least we know what to expect if we get offered the surgery, apparently it's to prove commitment, show you can tolerate a high protein diet and help lose 5% of body weight. Good luck Ian

Ian2Big

Well, just completed 1 week of the milk diet and my scales tell me that i have lost 4kg so very happy.
Why did no one tell me about this diet years ago (only joking) ?
So psychologist next week , not looking forward to that.
One good piece of news this morning is that I have an appointment with the MDT-General Surgery Team late May.

Suffolk Joy

Wow Ian, that is a fantastic loss for week 1. Milk diet is okay but you will eventually miss chewing food and although I was allowed 3 pieces of sugar free gum per day it didn't help.
Keep going!
SJ x

Lottiewishes

Hi well done on your weight loss. I will hopefully be following in your footsteps soon at Luton

Xxx

Suffolk Joy

Hi Lottiewishes
Where are you in this very convoluted pathway ? It does seem that L&D like to test you out using the milk diet to see if you hit your 5% weight loss target and to see if you are committed. Have you had an appointment date?
SJ x

FeeBee

Congratulations on your loss and good luck with the upcoming appointments :)

Ian2Big

Just back from my Psychologist appointment. Nice person, put me at ease and we chatted about my history esp about food. Then discussed weight loss program and surgery and the changes I would have to make and stick too. Use the Tier 3 program as a practice run.

No more appointments with them, can make another one if i feel i need to discuss eating habits etc. 30 mins flew passed.

Took the chance to get weight on their scales and have lost 6kg since 3rd Feb, very happy.
Still 2 weeks of the milk diet to go.

Last edited:

NigelG

Just back from my Psychologist appointment. Nice person, put me at ease and we chatted about my history esp about food. Then discussed weight loss program and surgery and the changes I would have to make and stick too. Use the Tier 3 program as a practice run.

No more appointments with them, can make another one if i feel i need to discuss eating habits etc. 30 mins flew passed.

Took the chance to get weight on their scales and have lost 6kg since 3rd Feb, very happy.

Ian, Wow what a weight loss to record. Well Done and the Psychologist passed with flying colours too. A good week.
Take Care. NigelG

Suffolk Joy

Hi Ian
Well done on the weight loss. Isn't it nice to be on the winning side. And with the okay from the psychologist you are well on your way. How is the milk diet going?
SJ xx

Ian2Big

Hi Ian
Well done on the weight loss. Isn't it nice to be on the winning side. And with the okay from the psychologist you are well on your way. How is the milk diet going?
SJ xx
Hi
The milk diet is going well, have a range of stock cubes so at least some variety in tastes. It is not as bad as I was expecting , only 2 weeks to go and are 3kg off the target required by the dietitian. It will be nice when it finishes and I can have some more choices. I came out of the L&D floating on air , a very happy guy.

Maria61

Hi
The milk diet is going well, have a range of stock cubes so at least some variety in tastes. It is not as bad as I was expecting , only 2 weeks to go and are 3kg off the target required by the dietitian. It will be nice when it finishes and I can have some more choices. I came out of the L&D floating on air , a very happy guy.
Well done Ian, I am also at L&D and did the 4 week milk diet. The hardest thing I found is going back to eating after the milk. But the milk diet gives a real boost to weight loss. I have my MDT on 7 March when I hope to finally go on the waiting list for surgery. I have been attending Luton since last June, good luck to you